We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How is a TCM Star of the Month selected?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Not to nitpick, this is just for the sake of accuracy. My records indicate that Shelley Winters was TCM's SOTM back in November 2002.

Thanks. The reason I made that error is because I had copied and pasted the Moderator's post about all the honorees into a Word file. And when I did a search by her name, the mod had misspelled Shelley as Shelly, so of course no Shelleys came up!

She could easily get a repeat as far as I'm concerned. But if we pull her from the list of the never-honored, maybe we could replace her with a month of character actors and actresses, so she could still be featured one of those evenings.

• Barton_Keyes and joaniekins like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

I think a case can be made for all of these. None have been featured as Star of the Month yet on TCM.

Alphabetically:

Dana Andrews

Joan Bennett

Ernest Borgnine

Charles Boyer

Marlon Brando

Joe E. Brown

Maurice Chevalier

Ronald Colman

Tony Curtis

W.C. Fields

Betty Grable

Helen Hayes

Alan Ladd

Lassie & Rin Tin Tin (a month on animals as Stars of the Month)

Peter Lawford

Marilyn Monroe

Ricardo Montalban

Anthony Perkins

Tyrone Power

Gene Tierney

Shelley Winters

Not to nitpick, this is just for the sake of accuracy. My records indicate that Shelley Winters was TCM's SOTM back in November 2002.

• garovick likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

I think a case can be made for all of these. None have been featured as Star of the Month yet on TCM.

Alphabetically:

Dana Andrews

Joan Bennett

Ernest Borgnine

Charles Boyer

Marlon Brando

Joe E. Brown

Maurice Chevalier

Ronald Colman

Tony Curtis

W.C. Fields

Betty Grable

Helen Hayes

Alan Ladd

Lassie & Rin Tin Tin (a month on animals as Stars of the Month)

Peter Lawford

Marilyn Monroe

Ricardo Montalban

Anthony Perkins

Tyrone Power

Gene Tierney

Edited to remove Shelley Winters. LOL :)

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

I agree that availability of films is a primary consideration.    This is why we see few 20th Century Fox under contract stars as SOTM.

Unless they had a shared contract with another studio/company-- or after their days at Fox, they freelanced at MGM, WB and RKO. 

One actor with a shared contract was Dana Andrews-- his services were split between Fox and Sam Goldwyn. Maybe the programmers don't feel he's a big enough "star"...though I'm sure his fans do.

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

I think a primary consideration is $$$.

I am thinking that TCM does a preliminary pick of a name/star and then they search their library. If they have to outsource films, then they probably need to see if they are within the budget.

I agree that availability of films is a primary consideration.    This is why we see few 20th Century Fox under contract stars as SOTM.

• TopBilled likes this

#6 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

I think a primary consideration is $$$.

I am thinking that TCM does a preliminary pick of a name/star and then they search their library. If they have to outsource films, then they probably need to see if they are within the budget.
  • TopBilled likes this

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

I thought it would be fun to ask the question-- how is a SOTM chosen by TCM's staff?

My guess is that several factors go into it:

1. Familiarity. Household names probably come first, and all the iconic images that can be used for a star of a certain magnitude.

2. Marketability. Will this selection stimulate sales of certain films and products that TCM sells?

3. Timeliness. Special 100th birthdays don't hurt (especially if the individual is still living).

4. Fan requests. A few years ago, a lot of people wanted to see Joel McCrea honored. Also, there was a groundswell of support for Mary Astor. Both were given the honor. 

P.S. It would be interesting if a TCM staff member reading this thread felt like commenting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users