We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Upcoming Releases

• Please log in to reply
4209 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

CRITERION MAY TITLES ANNOUNCED!

Othello  (1952)        May 16

870_DVD_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfers of two versions of the film, the 1952 European version and the 1955 U.S. version, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich and Orson Welles scholar Myron Meisel
  • Return to Glennascaul, a 1953 short film made by MacLiammóir and actor Hilton Edwards during a hiatus from shooting Othello
  • New interview with Welles biographer Simon Callow
  • New interview with Welles scholar François Thomas on the differences between the two versions
  • New interview with Ayanna Thompson, author of Passing Strange: Shakespeare, Race, and Contemporary America
  • Interview from 2014 with Welles scholar Joseph McBride
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Geoffrey O’Brien

Dheepan (2015)              May 23

871_DVD_348x490_original.jpg

• High-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2015 featuring director Jacques Audiard and coscreenwriter Noé Debré
  • New interview with Audiard
  • New interview with actor Antonythasan Jesuthasan
  • Deleted scenes with audio commentary by Audiard and Debré
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Atkinson

Ghost World  (2001)         May 30

872_DVD_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by writer-director Terry Zwigoff, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Zwigoff, comic-book creator and screenwriter Daniel Clowes, and producer Lianne Halfon
  • New interviews with and actors Thora Birch and Illeana Douglas
  • Extended excerpt from Gumnaam (1965) featuring the Bollywood musical number that appears in Ghost World’s opening title sequence
  • Deleted scenes
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton

Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project No. 2           May 30

Films included in this set:

Limite  (1931)

Revenge  (1989)

Insiang  (1976)

Mysterious Object at Noon  (2000)

Law of the Border  (1966)

Taipei Story  (1985)

• 2K, 3K, or 4K digital restorations of all six films, presented courtesy of the World Cinema Project in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • Remastered digital soundtrack of Limite created almost entirely from archival recordings of the same musical performances director Mário Peixote and his musical arranger Brutus Pedreira originally selected to accompany the film, presented in uncompressed monaural sound on the Blu-ray
  • New introductions to the films by World Cinema Project founder Martin Scorsese
  • New interview programs featuring film historian Pierre Rissient (on Insiang), director Apichatpong Weerasethakul (on Mysterious Object at Noon), director Ermek Shinarbaev (on Revenge), filmmaker Walter Salles (on Limite), producer Mevlüt Akkaya (on Law of the Border), and actor and cowriter Hou Hsiao-hsien with filmmaker Edmond Wong (on Taipei Story)
  • Updated English subtitle translations
  • Three Blu-rays and six DVDs, with all content available in both formats
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Phillip Lopate, Dennis Lim, Kent Jones, Fábio Andrade, Bilge Ebiri, and Andrew Chan

Plus Blu-Ray upgrades for

Good Morning  (1959)     May 16

84_DVD_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration from Shochiku Co., with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • I Was Born, But . . ., Yasujiro Ozu’s 1932 silent comedy masterpiece, with a score composed by Donald Sosin in 2008
  • Surviving excerpt from A Straightforward Boy, a 1929 silent film by Ozu
  • New video essay on Ozu’s use of humor by critic David Cairns
  • New interview with film scholar David Bordwell
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles  (1975)        May 9

484_DVD_348x490_original.jpg

• New 2K digital restoration undertaken by the Royal Belgian Film Archive, supervised by director of photography Babette Mangolte, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Autour de “Jeanne Dielman,” a 69-minute documentary—shot by actor Sami Frey and edited by Agnes Ravez and director Chantal Akerman—made during the filming of Jeanne Dielman
  • Interviews from 2009 with Akerman and Mangolte
  • Excerpt from “Chantal Akerman par Chantal Akerman,” a 1997 episode of the French television program Cinéma de notre temps
  • Interview from 2007 with Akerman’s mother, Natalia
  • Excerpt from a 1976 television interview featuring Akerman and actor Delphine Seyrig
  • Saute ma ville (1968), Akerman’s first film, with an introduction by the director
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ivone Margulies

• TopBilled likes this

#2 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Looking forward to receiving 1954's THE MAD MAGICIAN, Twilight Time's latest release on 3D Blu-ray.

• LawrenceA likes this

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

Here are some (non-Criterion) upcoming classic film Blu Rays:

Bells Are Ringing  (1960)  January 31

Dr. Orloff's Monster (1964)  February 7

The General/Three Ages (1926/1923)  February 7

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)  February 7

Love in the Afternoon (1957)  February 7 

No Highway In the Sky (1951)  February 7

Prince of Foxes (1949)  February 7

The Sicilian Clan (1969)  February 7

What a Way to Go!  (1964)  February 7

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)  February 14

It Came From Outer Space 3-D (1953)  February 14

One Million Years BC (1967)  February 14

Steamboat Bill Jr./College (1928/1927)  February 14

23 Paces to Baker Street  (1956)  February 14

Memories of Underdevelopment (1968)  February 17

Deluge (1933)  February 21

Compulsion (1959)  March 7

Lifeboat (1944)  March 7

The Man Who Could Cheat Death  (1959)  March 14

The Skull (1964)  March 14

Chamber of Horrors (1940)  March 21

A Game of Death (1945)  March 21

Invisible Ghost (1941)  March 21

Dakota (1945)  March 28

September Storm 3-D (1960)  March 28

Caltiki - The Immortal Monster (1959)  April 11

Django, Prepare a Coffin (1968)  April 11

The Pink Panther Collection  April  11

The Vampire (1957)  April 11

L'assassino (1961)  April 18

I Bury the Living (1958)  April 25

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

CRITERION APRIL TITLES ANNOUNCED!

Buena Vista Social Club  (1999)    April 18

866_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New high-definition digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1999 featuring director Wim Wenders
  • New interview with Wenders
  • We Believe in Dreams, a new piece featuring never-before-seen outtakes from the rehearsals for the Buena Vista Social Club’s Amsterdam concerts
  • Interview from 1998 with musician Compay Segundo on his career and the Cuban music scene
  • Radio interviews from 2000 featuring musicians Ibrahim Ferrer, Rubén González, Eliades Ochoa, Omara Portuondo, and others
  • Additional scenes
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by author and geographer Joshua Jelly-Schapiro

Woman of the Year  (1942)    April 18

867_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with George Stevens Jr., the director’s son
  • New interview with George Stevens biographer Marilyn Ann Moss
  • New interview with writer Claudia Roth Pierpont on actor Katharine Hepburn
  • The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn, an 86-minute documentary from 1986
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

Tampopo  (1985)    April 25

868_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • The Making of “Tampopo,” a ninety-minute documentary from 1986, narrated by director Juzo Itami
  • New interview with actor Nobuko Miyamoto
  • New interviews with ramen scholar Hiroshi Osaki; food stylist Seiko Ogawa; and American chefs Sam White, Rayneil De Guzman, Jerry Jaksich, and Anthony Bourdain
  • Rubber Band Pistol, Itami’s 1962 debut short film
  • New video essay by Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos on the film’s themes of self-improvement and mastery of a craft
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by food and culture writer Willy Blackmore

Rumble Fish  (1983)    April 25

869_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Stephen H. Burum and approved by director Francis Ford Coppola, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Coppola
  • New interviews with Coppola, author and coscreenwriter S. E. Hinton, and associate producer Roman Coppola
  • New conversation between Burum and production designer Dean Tavoularis
  • Pieces from 2005 about the film’s score and production
  • Interviews from 1983 with actors Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, and Vincent Spano and producer Doug Claybourne
  • French television interview from 1984 with actor Mickey Rourke
  • Locations: Looking for Rusty James, a 2013 documentary by Alberto Fuguet about the impact of Rumble Fish
  • New piece about the film’s existentialist elements
  • “Don’t Box Me In” music video
  • Deleted scenes
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Glenn Kenny

#5 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Not a classic era film, but it is worth a note for Oscar completests that 1981's Only When I Laugh (nominated for three Academy Awards for acting) has been on DVD since November 1st.

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

I'm thinking the ghost is Ghost World.  The clock is maybe High Noon ?

I just looked at the guesses on the website. Most seem to concur about Ghost World. The two flags may refer to I Am Cuba. I think it may refer to the documentary Buena Vista Social Club, since there are music notes around the flags. The noodles being prepared could be Tampopo. The Roman waving his hand could be Hail, Caesar, since Criterion has released deluxe versions of a lot of the Coen brothers films.

#7 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

It's an annual tradition over at the Criterion website to post one of these primitive cartoons on New Year's Eve that contain riddles about what films Criterion will be releasing in the new year. They've posted this year's cartoon, so take a look and see if can guess any of the titles,

wackynewyear2017_large.jpg

I think (hope) that the tombstone at the bottom right alludes to They Live By Night (1949).

I'm thinking the ghost is Ghost World.  The clock is maybe High Noon ?

• TopBilled likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

It's an annual tradition over at the Criterion website to post one of these primitive cartoons on New Year's Eve that contain riddles about what films Criterion will be releasing in the new year. They've posted this year's cartoon, so take a look and see if you can guess any of the titles,

wackynewyear2017_large.jpg

I think (hope) that the tombstone at the bottom right alludes to They Live By Night (1949).

• TopBilled likes this

#9 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

WB Archives is releasing Silver River on 1/31/17!

I'm excited for this release.  I think this is one of the few Errol Flynn films that isn't available on DVD.

http://www.wbshop.co...efType=&from=fn

I'm curious about this release. Silver River was not included by Warners in Flynn's western box set a few years ago I read because the studio was not happy with the soundtrack of the movie (you can hear the audio volume fluctuate in a couple of scenes of the print that TCM plays, as well as on the old VHS release of the film).

I wonder if that sound problem has been corrected. Even more significantly, Warners said some years ago that they had found some extra footage of the film not shown in the television prints. Maltin lists the film's length at 110 minutes, but the TCM print only runs 108 min., 42 seconds.

Silver River has long been a favourite film of mine, a much underrated effort by Walsh and Flynn, in my estimation. It would be interesting if this MOD version is an improvement upon the one shown by TCM. Since it is only a MOD, however, you have to think that Warners would have spent as little money as possible on it. I have to seriously wonder if that extra footage found will ever get out of the Warners vault. However, fingers crossed for this Warners Archive coming at the end of January.

Thanks for the notification, Speedracer. I know you're a fan of this film, as well. It's interesting to see Errol play one of the few dark characters of his film career here. He's damn good at it. And in beautiful Ann Sheridan, he had his best leading lady outside of Olivia, in my opinion.

• Arturo and speedracer5 like this

#10 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

WB Archives is releasing Silver River on 1/31/17!

I'm excited for this release.  I think this is one of the few Errol Flynn films that isn't available on DVD.

http://www.wbshop.co...efType=&from=fn

• Arturo and LawrenceA like this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

CRITERION MARCH TITLES ANNOUNCED!

45 Years  (2015)       March 7

861_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• High-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Andrew Haigh, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Haigh and producer Tristan Goligher
  • New documentary featuring interviews with Haigh, Goligher, actors Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay, editor Jonathan Alberts, and director of photography Lol Crawley
  • New interview with David Constantine, author of the short story on which the film is based
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ella Taylor

Canoa: A Shameful Memory  (1976)     March 14

862_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Felipe Cazals, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New introduction by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro
  • New conversation between filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón and Cazals
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Fernanda Solórzano

Multiple Maniacs  (1970)     March 21

863_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director John Waters, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Waters
  • New interviews with cast and crew members Pat Moran, Vincent Peranio, Mink Stole, Susan Lowe, and George Figgs
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Linda Yablonsky

Being There  (1979)    March 21

864_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Caleb Deschanel, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with members of the production team
  • Excerpts from a 1980 American Film Institute seminar with director Hal Ashby
  • Author Jerzy Kosinksi in a 1979 appearance on The Dick Cavett Show
  • Appearances from 1980 by actor Peter Sellers on NBC’s Today and The Don Lane Show
  • Promo reel featuring Sellers and Ashby
  • Trailer and TV spots
  • Deleted scene, outtakes, and an alternate ending
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Mark Harris

Blow-Up  (1966)     March 28

865_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • A new piece about director Michelangelo Antonioni’s artistic approach, featuring photography curators Walter Moser and Philippe Garner and art historian David Alan Mellor
  • Blow-up of “Blow-Up,” a new 52-minute documentary on the making of the film
  • Conversation from 2016 between Garner and actor Vanessa Redgrave
  • Archival interviews with Antonioni and actors David Hemmings and Jane Birkin
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar David Forgacs and more

#12 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

CRITERION FEBRUARY TITLES ANNOUNCED!

Cameraperson  (2016)    Feb. 7

853_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

• New high-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Making “Cameraperson,” a new program featuring director Kirsten Johnson, producers Marilyn Ness and Danielle Varga, and editors Nels Bangerter and Amanda Laws
  • In the Service of the Film, a roundtable conversation with Johnson, producer Gini Reticker, and sound recordists Wellington Bowler and Judy Karp
  • Excerpts from two 2016 film festival talks with Johnson, including one between her and filmmaker Michael Moore
  • The Above, a 2015 short film by Johnson
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by filmmaker Michael Almereyda and reprinted writings by Johnson

Mildred Pierce  (1945)      Feb 21

860_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation about Mildred Pierce with critics Molly Haskell and Robert Polito
  • Excerpt from a 1970 episode of The David Frost Show featuring actor Joan Crawford
  • Joan Crawford: The Ultimate Movie Star, a 2002 feature-length documentary on Crawford’s life and career
  • Q&A with actor Ann Blyth from 2002, conducted by film historian Eddie Muller
  • Segment from a 1969 episode of the Today show featuring novelist James M. Cain
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith

Women On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown  (1988)    Feb 21

855_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New high-definition digital restoration, supervised by director Pedro Almodóvar and producer Agustín Almodóvar, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master
  • Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • New interviews with director Pedro Almodóvar, actor Carmen Maura, and producer Agustín Almodóvar
  • New discussion by film scholar Richard Peña of the film’s impact in Spain and abroad
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Elvira Lindo

The Before Trilogy:

Before Sunrise (1995), Before Sunset (2004), Before Midnight (2013)   Feb 28

No Cover Art yet

• New, restored 2K digital transfers of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and a 2K digital master of Before Midnight, approved by director Richard Linklater, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Before Sunrise Blu-ray and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Before Sunset and Before Midnight Blu-rays
  • New discussion featuring Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, moderated by critic Kent Jones
  • Behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the productions of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
  • Audio commentary on Before Midnight by Delpy, Linklater, and Hawke
  • Dream Is Destiny, a 2016 feature-length documentary about Linklater by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein
  • New documentary about the making of Before Midnight in Greece by filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari
  • 3×2, a new conversation between scholars Dave Johnson and Rob Stone about Linklater’s work
  • Linklater // On Cinema & Time, a video essay by filmmaker :: kogonada
  • PLUS: An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim

Also the previously announced The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)  Feb 14

#13 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

It was supposed to be released in October, but got delayed. I can't recall Criterion ever delaying a release before, but it happens often with other companies. I would also like to see it.

I have the same impression that Criterion doesn't delay releases very often.  But another recent example of a delay is McCABE AND MRS. MILLER.  It was originally announced for release on Aug. 9, 2016, but didn't actually come out until Oct. 11.  

(I took particular note of this movie's delayed release because I had originally planned to buy and watch the movie during my August vacation, when I usually set aside time to watch some films I've never seen before.  In a way, though, the delay worked out for me better because I ended up buying McCABE AND MRS. MILLER during the current 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble, rather than paying closer to full price last summer.)

• LawrenceA likes this

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

It looks like Criterion is releasing The Tree of Wooden Clogs on Feb 14, 2017. 

It was supposed to be released in October, but got delayed. I can't recall Criterion ever delaying a release before, but it happens often with other companies. I would also like to see it.

#15 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:04 AM

I haven't seen this film, but I've seen people discuss it here on the boards:

840_BD_box_348x490_w128.jpg

It looks like Criterion is releasing The Tree of Wooden Clogs on Feb 14, 2017. 

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#16 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:35 PM

CRITERION JANUARY TITLES ANNOUNCED!

His Girl Friday  (1940)    January 10

849_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New 2K restoration of Lewis Milestone’s The Front Page (1931), made from a recently discovered print of the director’s preferred version
  • New interview with film scholar David Bordwell about His Girl Friday
  • Archival interviews with director Howard Hawks
  • Featurettes from 1999 about Hawks, actor Rosalind Russell, and the making of His Girl Friday
  • Radio adaptation of His Girl Friday from 1940
  • New piece about the restoration of The Front Page
  • New piece about playwright and screenwriter Ben Hecht
  • Radio adaptations of the play The Front Page from 1937 and 1946
  • His Girl Friday trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on His Girl Friday and The Front Page by film critics Farran Smith Nehme and Michael Sragow

Something Wild   (1961)      January 17

850_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Jack Garfein, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Garfein and critic Kim Morgan
  • New interview with actor Carroll Baker
  • New interview with scholar Foster Hirsch on the Actors Studio’s cinematic legacy
  • Master Class with Jack Garfein, a 2015 recording of one of the director’s world-famous lectures on acting technique
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O’Malley

Fox and His Friends   (1975)     January 17

851_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation and supervised by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with actor Harry Baer
  • New interview with filmmaker Ira Sachs
  • Excerpt from a 1975 interview with director Rainer Werner Fassbinder
  • Excerpts from a 1981 interview with composer Peer Raben
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Koresky

Black Girl   (1966)     January 24

852_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken by The Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • 4K restoration of the short film Borom sarret, director Ousmane Sembène’s acclaimed 1963 debut
  • New interviews with scholars Manthia Diawara and Samba Gadjigo
  • Excerpt from a 1966 broadcast of JT 20h, featuring Sembène accepting the Prix Jean Vigo for Black Girl
  • New interview with actor M’Bissine Thérèse Diop
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ashley Clark
  • More!

Thanks for the info. Great set of releases. And HIS GIRL FRIDAY, one of the all-time great screwballs, restored! So many poor prints of this PD film.
  • LawrenceA likes this

#17 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Nice Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

CRITERION JANUARY TITLES ANNOUNCED!

His Girl Friday  (1940)    January 10

849_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 2K restoration of Lewis Milestone’s The Front Page (1931), made from a recently discovered print of the director’s preferred version
  • New interview with film scholar David Bordwell about His Girl Friday
  • Archival interviews with director Howard Hawks
  • Featurettes from 1999 about Hawks, actor Rosalind Russell, and the making of His Girl Friday
  • Radio adaptation of His Girl Friday from 1940
  • New piece about the restoration of The Front Page
  • New piece about playwright and screenwriter Ben Hecht
  • Radio adaptations of the play The Front Page from 1937 and 1946
  • His Girl Friday trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on His Girl Friday and The Front Page by film critics Farran Smith Nehme and Michael Sragow

Something Wild   (1961)      January 17

850_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Jack Garfein, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Garfein and critic Kim Morgan
  • New interview with actor Carroll Baker
  • New interview with scholar Foster Hirsch on the Actors Studio’s cinematic legacy
  • Master Class with Jack Garfein, a 2015 recording of one of the director’s world-famous lectures on acting technique
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O’Malley

Fox and His Friends   (1975)     January 17

851_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation and supervised by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with actor Harry Baer
  • New interview with filmmaker Ira Sachs
  • Excerpt from a 1975 interview with director Rainer Werner Fassbinder
  • Excerpts from a 1981 interview with composer Peer Raben
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Koresky

Black Girl   (1966)     January 24

852_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken by The Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • 4K restoration of the short film Borom sarret, director Ousmane Sembène’s acclaimed 1963 debut
  • New interviews with scholars Manthia Diawara and Samba Gadjigo
  • Excerpt from a 1966 broadcast of JT 20h, featuring Sembène accepting the Prix Jean Vigo for Black Girl
  • New interview with actor M’Bissine Thérèse Diop
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ashley Clark
  • More!

#18 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:19 PM

DECEMBER CRITERION TITLES ANNOUNCED

Heart of a Dog (2015)   December 6

846_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• High-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between director Laurie Anderson and coproducer Jake Perlin
  • Footage of Anderson’s 2016 Concert for Dogs
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Glenn Kenny

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)    December 13

847_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2004 by film historian Drew Casper, featuring recordings of actor James Whitmore
  • New interviews with film noir historian Eddie Muller and cinematographer John Bailey
  • Archival footage of writer-director John Huston discussing the film
  • Pharos of Chaos, a 1983 documentary about actor Sterling Hayden
  • Episode of the television program City Lights from 1979 featuring John Huston
  • Audio excerpts of archival interviews with Huston
  • Excerpts from footage of the 1983 AFI Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony honoring Huston, featuring actor Sam Jaffe and the filmmaker
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien
  • More!

Roma  (1972)     December 13

848_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Audio commentary featuring Frank Burke, author of Fellini’s Films
  • Deleted scenes
  • New interview with filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino on the lasting influence of director Federico Fellini
  • New interview with Italian poet and Fellini friend Valerio Magrelli
  • Images from the Felliniana archive of collector Don Young
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar David Forgacs

Plus, a Blu-Ray upgrade for

The Exterminating Angel  (1962)    December 6

459_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • The Last Script: Remembering Luis Buñuel, a 2008 documentary featuring writer Jean-Claude Carrière and filmmaker Juan Luis Buñuel
  • Interviews with actor Silvia Pinal and filmmaker Arturo Ripstein from 2006
  • Trailer
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Marsha Kinder and an interview with director Luis Buñuel from the 1970s

I'm thrilled that ROMA and EL ANGEL EXTERMINADOR are getting released. I'm already planning which will become XMas gifts for whom.
  • LawrenceA likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,906 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yes, it was a Criterion release on laserdisc. I don't know exactly the year it was released. There were many classic MGM/Warner/RKO films released on laserdisc through Criterion a long time ago. Here is the link on Wikipedia: 

https://en.wikipedia...erdisc_releases

That is probably why they are re-releasing The Asphalt Jungle. There may be hope for other classic movies (mostly from the Turner library) worthy of the Criterion treatment.

Great. Another John Huston film made at MGM around the same time is THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE. Apparently, it didn't test well with preview audiences and a huge chunk of the story was cut out (explaining its short running time of 69 minutes). I keep hoping they find the missing footage and restore it, so we can see it the way Huston intended it to be.

"Since I have no past, I have no future. Only the moment, only now. So we can enjoy it without obligations or regrets."-- Jennifer Jones to Joseph Cotten in LOVE LETTERS.

#20 Emertiff

Emertiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

Oh, was it? I don't remember that. 

Yes, it was a Criterion release on laserdisc. I don't know exactly the year it was released. There were many classic MGM/Warner/RKO films released on laserdisc through Criterion a long time ago. Here is the link on Wikipedia: 

https://en.wikipedia...erdisc_releases

That is probably why they are re-releasing The Asphalt Jungle. There may be hope for other classic movies (mostly from the Turner library) worthy of the Criterion treatment.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users