We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Silent films

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 JonParker

JonParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

I have the Kino Faust and agree with Rusty's review. It's a magnificent DVD. "The Last Laugh" is also great. I keep meaning to get the Kino "Nosferatu" but since I already have the Image version it's not at the top of my list.

#22 Johnftwain

Johnftwain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

I seen a snip of "Faust" in the "Phantom of the Opera" I want to see the entire movie. I just bought my copy of "Beyond the Rocks" it was good but not what I was hoping it would be. I am waiting for them to find and restore "zaZa" with Glorious Gloria Swanson.

#23 jarhfive

jarhfive

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

This thread needs a DVD review. Here's one...

Faust (1926).

I watched a rental of the KINO DVD of F.W. Murnau's "Faust" last night...

Astonishing.

The best description of the movie and the DVD presentation of the movie is astonishing.

First, everyone knows the story of Faust. I don't need to write a synopsis of the story. The movie "Faust" grabbed my attention one minute after the start of the movie...I was tinkering with something in front of the television while my wife watched the DVD. "Faust" grabbed my attention and I was transfixed by the movie until the last scene (almost two hours). By the way, my wife had fallen asleep by the end of the movie. She says she will "pick up" the last ten minutes of the film today.

Second, the special effects of Murnau's Faust are...well, incredible. Even by today's standards.

Third, the acting is superb. Emil Jannings' performance as Mephisto is...uh, once more...astonishing.

Fourth, Murnau's job as director of "Faust" is masterful. I thought it was interesting, during a recent John Ford documentary, Mr. Ford mentions the difficulty of directing silent (versus talkie) films. I guess he means the many camera set-ups required to present an idea to the audience. The presentation of an idea simplified considerably if the soundtrack has dialogue. Well, Murnau makes no missteps directing "Faust". Here is a small example of Murnau's mastery of the silent film. One scene has Mephisto and Faust placing a pretty bit of jewelry (the temptation) in the dresser drawer of Faust's love interest. The dresser is in her bedroom. Mephisto and Faust exits the bedroom. The love interest enters her bedroom and she...shudders slightly. No words. She merely trembles for a second...just enough to tell us (the audience) she feels the lingering presence of evil. Wonderful.

Fifth, KINO's DVD beautifully presents the black and white cinematography. This movie has a lot of effects--fog and smoke, fade outs, fade ins, double exposures...what have you. These effects are central to the story. These effects would be "lost" without top notch video luminance and contrast. The KINO DVD does not take anything away from the film. In fact, the DVD artfully enhances Murnau's vision. Really, the video of this DVD is wonderful. Watch this DVD on the largest screen possible (I watched the thing on a good 35 inch CRT television).

Sixth, KINO's DVD soundtrack also enhances the experience of watching "Faust". This DVD has an orchestral soundtrack and the music follows the action nicely.

The extras on the DVD are spare. The only extra is a series of stills from the making of "Faust". The still pictures display for a few seconds before moving to the next picture. Some pictures display a zoom image, before moving to the next picture.

I have watched more than fifty silent films. My opinion? "Faust" is the perfect introduction to silent films. Considering the effects, the story, the DVD...only one other silent film competes with "Faust" as the perfect "first silent film"--"The Phantom Of The Opera" .

"Faust" is one of...maybe, six films I have rented and immediately looked the movie up on the internet to purchase. And that means "Faust" is a pretty darned good movie.

Recommended.

Rusty

#24 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

Please review silent film DVDs here, thanks. When reviewing, good things to keep in mind that people want to know: how good was the film quality, was the film itself any good, what were the extras and how good were they, was there a good commentary, etc. You know, stuff you would like to know if you were thinking about buying a particular DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users