We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

GAY INDIE CINEMA!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

There was a lot of hype surrounding 54 when it was released. A lot of premature Oscar talk, and expectations of a hit. It flopped, and was eviscerated by the critics. It has a RT score of 15%. It was another victim of the Miramax/Weinstein Brothers tendency to meddle in the films that they bought, editing them into mediocrity. I'm glad to hear that the director got his original version released.

LawrenceA, there is no comparison between the release print and the director's cut

They are two very different films.

In the release print, a young actress who has a very small part in the original film (Neve Campbell), is promoted to a romance with the lead character, who is played by Ryan Phillippe.

I would not say that the original film is, as it has been claimed, TOO GAY, but the original film is devoted to capturing a state of mind that was consumed by EXCESS and masqueraded as FREEDOM.

Most notable, Phillippe's free-wheeling sexuality is given more play in the original version.

It's a shame, too, because the film could have made him a star.

The Weinstein Brothers are not to be forgiven for their butchery of this film. 

Ryan attempts to seduce his good friend, Breckin Meyer -

ryanbreckin.jpg

• TopBilled, LawrenceA and jaragon like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

Jarrod, hopefully, the director's cut is a first-rate film of a dazzling, but deceptive sub-culture, Studio 54.

I think Larry's correct...when it first hit theaters, there was a lot of Oscar buzz. They obviously had gotten ahead of themselves and released an inferior version. Now the wrongs can be righted.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

And now they can make money off the director's cut.

Jarrod, hopefully, the director's cut is a first-rate film of a dazzling, but deceptive sub-culture, Studio 54.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#44 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,721 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:06 PM

There was a lot of hype surrounding 54 when it was released. A lot of premature Oscar talk, and expectations of a hit. It flopped, and was eviscerated by the critics. It has a RT score of 15%. It was another victim of the Miramax/Weinstein Brothers tendency to meddle in the films that they bought, editing them into mediocrity. I'm glad to hear that the director got his original version released.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

No, I don't think so.

And now they can make money off the director's cut.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#46 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

Interesting. Did the imposed straight romance significantly boost ticket sales?

No, I don't think so.

• TopBilled likes this

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

Well, I have seen "54: The Director's Cut" - which is nothing like the released print, which eliminated 44 minutes of footage and replaced it with an imposed "heterosexual romance" - but the film would not be an example of "gay indie cinema".

I feel sorry for the writer/director Mark Christopher - the powers that be ruined his superb film - but, thank God, he was able to restore it.

Interesting. Did the imposed straight romance significantly boost ticket sales?

• rayban likes this

#48 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

It's been awhile since you posted a new review Ray...have you seen anything good lately to recommend?

Well, I have seen "54: The Director's Cut" - which is nothing like the released print, which eliminated 44 minutes of footage and replaced it with an imposed "heterosexual romance" - but the film would not be an example of "gay indie cinema".

I feel sorry for the writer/director Mark Christopher - the powers that be ruined his superb film - but, thank God, he was able to restore it.

Studio54Experience.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#49 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

It's been awhile since you posted a new review Ray...have you seen anything good lately to recommend?

• rayban likes this

#50 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

Jarrod, thank you, I'm so glad that I've been given the opportunity to do more of these. 

• TopBilled likes this

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Thank you Ray. Great write-up. So glad you're doing more of these.

• rayban likes this

#52 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

The real-life Tim Conigrave and John Caleo -

BPH_BQFF_Remembering_The_Man_3.jpg

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#53 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

"Holding The Man" is a gay Australian film from 2015 -

it is based on Tim Conigrave's memoir from 1995 that detailed his relationship with John Caleo -

A touching and heartbreaking story about two young men who met in college and fell in love with each other -

for fifteen years, they remained together with all the ins and outs of a long-term relationship that denied them any kind of legal standing -

and despite the intrusion of the Aids crisis in which they both found out that they were both HIV positive -

John Caleo suffered a horriible death from Aids - his parents objected to the fact that John wanted all of his possessions to go to his one and only love, Tim -

shortly after completing his memoir about himself and John, Tim also succumbed to Aids.

The film has a delicately-written screenplay by Tommy Murphy, which pays attention to the fact that gay love in Australia at that particular time gave you "outlaw status".

And yet it is written with a lot of humor, too.

The film is also sensitively directed by Neil Armfield, who helps you to understand that the strongest kind of love can exist in the most hostile of circumstances.

As Tim Conigrave, Ryan Corr and, as John Caleo, Craig Stott carry you through the film with energy and gusto.

Their love could not be any stronger - or, ironically, more life-sustaining.

A LOVE - BEYOND WORDS - THAT NOT EVEN TIME COULD DESTROY - 

Holding-the-Man-trailer-capture.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#54 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

"Front Cover" (2016) this looks sweet  https://youtu.be/Yd200BoZSPQ

#55 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

"The Perfect Wedding" is a gay American film from 2012 -

Hey, guys, it's a gay romantic comedy - why, oh, why, don't they make more gay romantic comedies?

Paul is a recovering alcoholic with an adopted black sister, Alana, who is getting married to Kirk.

Paul had a very messy break-up with Roy, who is still a good friend of Alana's.

When Alana invites Roy to help with her wedding arrangements over the Christmas holiday at her parents' home, he decides to bring along a "pretend boyfriend", Gavin, because he wants to make a very good impression on Paul.

Gavin does make a very good impression on Paul - Paul is immediately attracted to Gavin.

And Gavin, yes, you guessed it, is immediately attracted to Paul.

But Paul, who has hurt Roy once, does not want to hurt him again.

And Gavin, who is such good friends with Roy, does not want to pull out of the carefully-arranged "deception".

Meanwhile, Paul's parents are gung-ho about planning an elaborate wedding.

But, when Kirk arrives, it is perfectly obvious that he and Alana want something - a lot smaller, a lot simpler.

So, the stage is set for a lot of people who are working at cross-purposes.

Splnning their wheels, so to speak.

The film has a definite "The Importance Of Being Earnest" vibe.

It's light, it's funny - and who the hell knows what is happening next?

When the cat is out of the bag, so to speak - Alana and Kirk have the simplest possible wedding - with everybody is white!

And Paul runs after Gavin, who is too ashamed of deceiving Paul - but Paul tells Gavin that a recovering alcoholic is not perfect, either, and that he fully intends to marry Gavin.

This film has a great cast that gives it sparkle and lift - Eric Aragon as Paul, Jason T. Gaffney as Gavin, Roger Stewart as Roy, Apolonia Davalos as Alana and Brendan Griffin as Kirk.

It is directed by Scott Gabriel and it is written by Ed Gaffney, Suzanne Brockman and Jason T. Gaffney.

And it has a delightful song over the end credits - "Better Than Before" by Jack Gravina.

The spirit of "The Importance Of Being Earnest" lives on! 

TWO GUYS, FAR FROM PERFECT, REALIZE THAT THEY CAN BUILD ON THAT IMPERFECTION - 

4614206396.jpg

• jaragon likes this

#56 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

"Shelter" (2007)https://youtu.be/bKsCvcvoZcE

Love love this movie.

• rayban likes this

#57 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Below is the film's final image, which has Tim on the roof of the manger and which is such a loaded metaphor -

large_mY9SLyy7qHa9Mr5h8VCro4T5LBM.jpg

#58 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

"The Wise Kids" is a gay American film from 2012 - 

This film is able to establish a Southern Baptist community with a great deal of persuasiveness.

It's a community, too, in which not-exactly-conventional sexual desires can be addressed, though.

The "actors", or maybe they're actually "inhabitants", give the impression that they have been living in this community for a long, long time.

But none of them, who are experiencing their sexual idenitities, will ever be able to talk about it.

I was very interested in the beautiful, but repressive atmosphere - it's the film's one true achievement.

The main storyline which concerns a married man (who is secretly gay) and a young man, who is just coming out of the closet, is kind of "pathetic", though.

But maybe "pathetic" is the point - this relationship is going nowhere.

The married man's wife isn't happy with her sexually-uninterested husband.

She begins to develop a sexual passion for a young youth minister (in training), who is,

unfortunately, married, though.

The young man comes out to his father, is rejected by his younger brother and goes to a club where he is hit on by a guy of his own age.

Eventually, he goes off to New York City to study filmmaking.

A young woman who may have lesbian leanings is barely able to express them.

And she goes off to college, too.

The point of this film is, surely, the small-town, religiously-oriented atmosphere which gives voice each and every day to "the word of God".

If these "actors" are actors, I would really be surprised.

But Tyler Ross (as the young Tim) and Stephen Cone (as the married Austin) are stand-outs in the cast.

Mr. Cone also wrote and directed the film.

It was obviously a labor of love, that is, capturing the heart and soul of a Southern Baptist community.

PRELUDE TO A KISS - WHICH CAN'T GO ANYWHERE -

(Austin is a married man of eight years and Tim is leaving soon for college.) -

MV5BMjMxNDk1ODUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY3

• TopBilled likes this

#59 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Ray,

Thanks for bringing THE WAY HE LOOKS to our attention. I haven't seen it yet. Seems as if it's not a young teen story so much as it is the old 'love-is-blind' metaphor, given a unique new interpretation. 

Jarrod -

Thanks so much for your response - I don't think that I will ever get over this film.

LOVE CAN HIT YOU SO HARD -

The-Way-He-Looks.png

• TopBilled likes this

#60 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Ray,

Thanks for bringing THE WAY HE LOOKS to our attention. I haven't seen it yet. Seems as if it's not a young teen story so much as it is the old 'love-is-blind' metaphor, given a unique new interpretation. 

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users