We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

GAY INDIE CINEMA!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

"The Way He Looks" is a 2014 gay film from Brazil -

This film is an incredible achievement.

It's a light-hearted exploration of a taboo subject - the blossoming of male desire between two adolescents, one of whom is blind.

It could have been "heavy" and "woebegone", but it refuses to be negative in any way.

It simply traces - gradually, very gradually - how two young males could fall in love with each other.

When Gabriel first meets Leonardo, Leonardo is always in the company of Giovana, who is at his side constantly - throughout the school day and on the way home.

Without really meaning to intrude on that relationship, Gabriel becomes Leonardo's "eyes and ears" and even begins to drop him off at home.

This new relationship happens so naturally - that Leonardo and Gabriel don't even stop to think about it.

But Giovana is hurt by the friendship - and the fact that she is no longer important to Leonardo.

One night at a teen party, Gabriel gets drunk and kisses Leonardo, who suddenly realizes that their friendship has become so much more.

Gabriel now realizes that he loves Leonardo very much, but he isn't that willing to actually articulate it.

Leonardo confesses to Giovana that he does love Gabriel.

Later, at a school outing, in the shower, nude together, Gabriel is overcome with his sexual response to Leonardo.

Later, he comes clean with Leonardo and asks, "How do you take back a kiss that was stolen in the first place?"

Leonardo responds with a passionate kiss of his own.

At the end, when the boys are teased about their friendship by taunting classmates, Leonardo takes Gabriel's hand in his and both of them walk off together.

This film takes such a fresh approach to its' subject-matter - it makes you feel so good about Leonardo's and Gabriel's love for each other.

The film is written and directed with spontaneity and verve by Daniel Ribeiro.

It is also acted by Ghilherme Lobo (as Leonardo) and Fabio Audi (as Gabriel) as if homosexual desire were "the most natural thing in the world".

And it is, guys, it is!

JUST THE UNEXPECTED BEGINNING - OF SOMETHING SO RIGHT -  

KRAMER-way-he-looks-IS.jpg

(By the way, this film won two prestigious film awards at The 64th Berlin International Film Festival.)

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#62 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

I wish that there were more lighter-than-air gay indie films like David Au's "Eat With Me" - it's like eating a souffle - one isn't enough - you want more.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#63 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

"Barracuda"an Australian mini-series about a gay swimmerhttps://youtu.be/YKx895FhH-c

• rayban likes this

#64 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

"Eat With Me" is a gay American film from 2014 -

A thoroughly charming comedy, it concerns a Chinese mom, who decides to leave her husband and then moves in with her gay son, who is trying to keep his restaurant afloat and is also trying to find a boyfriend.

As much as Emma finds out about Elliot, Elliot can also claim to find out about his mom.

Both mother and son want to love each other, and their differences do not destroy their relationship in any way.

When Elliott's restaurant is in foreclosure and he decides to open a pop-up restaurant, both mother and son bond over this business venture without thinking twice.

Even dad shows up in a display of familial accord.

And Elliot has actually found a charming Englishman, Ian, who likes both him and his food!

Food is a very important ingredient in this film - it seems like a common meeting-place for everybody.

If you can't bond over food, what can you bond over?

The consistent lightness of the material is such an on-going delight.

I'd have to thank David Au, who wrote and directed the film.

Sharon Omi as Emma is the ingratiating center of this film.

Yes, guys, mom knows best!

And Teddy Chen Culver as Elliot and Aidan Bristow as Ian bring a great deal of charm and warmth to their roles.

As different as we are, well, sometimes, we're a lot closer than we think.

TWO VERY DIFFERENT CULTURES THAT DO NOT CLASH -

eat_with_me_still_1.jpg?1415573101

• jaragon likes this

#65 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

Joshua Lim seems to make this sort of annoying gay indie- he has another one called "Godless" about two brothers who might have more than brotherly relationshiphttps://youtu.be/v6R969hK7n4

He does have an eye for casting good looking actors.

• rayban likes this

#66 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

"The Falls" is a gay American film from 2012 -

Quietly observant and very sympathetic, it tells the story of two 20-year-old Mormans who are doing their first mission in Oregon together - RJ or Elder Smith and Chris or Elder Merril.

RJ and Chris lead a very regimented life of introducing their faith to whomever will listen to them.

Although they are often met with outright indifference, their Mormonism drives them on day by day.

If it seems like a hard life, these boys are young enough to overcome the roughness.

They also need to report to another Elder about their progress and their converts.

And they need to show up at any and all meetings.

Gradually, RJ and Chris begin to realize an attraction for each other.

Surprisingly, they give in to it; they do not fight it.

As they begin to embrace who they really are, they relax into a more fun-loving existence.

Becoming who they are is a totally NEW EXPERIENCE for them.

Gradually, their secretive love affair is discovered and Elder Smith is forced to choose between who he is and Mormonism.

In a moving speech, he rails against his life-long Mormonism and accepts and celebrates - without shame -   his gay self.

In the end, as he sits alone in a wooded area before a waterfall, you just know that he has made the right decision.

The film is beautifully written, produced and directed by Jon Garcia.

It is also beautifully acted by its' stars, Nick Ferrucci as RJ and Benjamin Walker as Chris.

THE DEEPEST KIND OF KISS - IT RE-DEFINES YOUR WORLD, YOUR EXISTENCE -

the-falls-2012.jpg

#67 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

"The Seminarian" is a 2010 gay American film - 

It's the kind of film that you will either love - or hate.

It's a very low-key - very slow - study of a "closeted" gay man who is in his last year of religious studies and hopes to write/submit a desertation that will gain him access to Yale.

He becomes increasingly interested in another gay man, who lives about an hour's drive from him and who doesn't really seem that interested in him (although they did hook up once, just once).

Ryan tries to get a grip on himself, this other guy, a blonde beauty, Bradley and negotiate the other relationships in his life.

He has another gay friend at the seminary, who's involved with another gay classmate and he has another friend who does not really seem that interested in him (but does turn out to be, anyway).

He's also concerned about his mother, who is a widow now and doesn't want to date.

Two other friends are both heterosexual and are planning a wedding.

As he gets nearer and nearer to completing that dissertation, he does ask himself some pretty probing questions -

What is God?  Who is God?

When we love - openly - another human being, are we then closest to God?

Because, we are told, aren't we, that God loves "his children"?

When we can both love and then even forgive, isn't that kind of love the very best part of God's love?

In the end, Ryan does not have a happy ending.

And his dissertation does seem to have a negative slant.

As low-key and as slow as it is, the film is beautifully carried by its' star, Mark Cirillo.

And, as Bradley, Eric Parker Bingham is that elusive, elusive "blond beauty".

But, as I said at the beginning, this is the kind of film that can really freak you out.

You might even want to write a nasty note to the director, Joshua Lim.

the-seminarian-2010-720p-mediumcover.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#68 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

"The Queen of Ireland" look fabuloushttps://youtu.be/Db2857BR7GM

#69 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

"Gayby Baby" is a 2015 documentary from Australia -

It follows four kids - Gus, Ebony, Matt and Graham - who are living with same-sex parents.

Three of the couples are made up of lesbian parents - and one of the couples is made up of two gay men.

All of the couples have problems - and, of course, the children are involved - but the film does not really have a political agenda.

Instead, it involves us in the nitty gritty of lives that are supposedly "outside of the norm"

The children are loving and strong - they know that their parents are "different", but they are totally committed to their parents.

One lesbian couple actually gets an audience with the then-Prime Minster of Australia (a woman).

The film was made by Maya Newell, who grew up with same-sex parents, and Ms. Newell made the film over a three and a half year period.

It's a very sympathetic and informative - and, sometimes heartbreaking - family portrait of same-sex parents and their kids.

But, if you are looking for a rousing political statement, you are not going to get one.

GUS AND HIS BROTHER HAVE A MOMENT OF TRIUMPH AT THE SYDNEY GAY AND LESBIAN MARDI GRAS PARADE -

gayby-baby-documentary-about-children-ra

#70 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

https://youtu.be/e8aKEaAhXHE this is from a tv show but it's just so sweet I had to share it

• rayban likes this

#71 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

The power of this film is witnessing the disintegrating effects of a really hard lifestyle.

Vassili and his young lover, Angelo, want "out", but they don't have the resources.

Visiting his former BFF and her mother and her son and visiting a former client, who was nice to Vassili, are sad and pathetic attempts to provide a new way of life for Vassili and Angelo.

However, Vassili is really too "far gone" for any connection to the real world.

And Angelo remains a mysterious enigma, who probably feels lost in a maze.

Like the young lovers in "Elvira Madigan", you can see Vassili and Angelo running off into the woods and starving to death.

• TopBilled likes this

#72 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

"Our Paradise" is a 2011 gay film from France -

Absolutely stunning film, it tells the story of an aging male prostitute who has been driven over-the-edge by the hardness of his life.

He thinks nothing of attacking, even murdering his clients.

One night, Vassili rescues a young male prostitute who has been badly attacked and robbed in the Bois de Bologna.

Vassili nurses the boy back to health - but the boy is reluctant to tell him the details of his life.

He names himself Angelo and says - that he was born on the night that Vassili rescued him.

Vassili and Angelo practice their trade together, but they would really like a way out.

Vassili decides to visit a former BFF, who now lives with her mother and son in a suburb.

Everybody gets along famously.

Then Vassili and Angelo visit a former client of Vassili's, who is a very rich man and lives in the mountains.

The visit doesn't go that well due to the rich man's young lover.

Vassili, who is far more damanged than anybody realizes, really goes wild this time.

The consequences are truly tragic.

It's a great film, which is written and directed quite enticingly by Gael Morel.

Stephane Rideau as the aging Vassili and Dimitri Durdaine as the angelic Angelo lend a great deal of stunning authenticity to the film.

A LOVE THAT HAPPENED TOO LATE!

1364429639_5.png

• TopBilled likes this

#73 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

"Drown" does looks interesting- we know that homophobia is a big problem- specially in that kind of macho jock subculture  I would rather watch this:        https://youtu.be/2j80tCzDZgU  they could expanded into a feature

• rayban likes this

#74 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

Thanks, guys, I really do appreciate the support.

The fascinating thing about this movie is that it takes place in a culture (Australian lifesaving) that celebrates the beauty and strength of the male body.

DROWN151014_1.157.1.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#75 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

This sounds like a fascinating movie.  I hope it comes on one of the cable channels.

I agree..it does sound quite interesting. Glad Ray mentioned it.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#76 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

This sounds like a fascinating movie.  I hope it comes on one of the cable channels.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#77 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

"Drown" is a 2015 gay film from Australia -

Thoroughly absorbing and thoroughly repellent, too, it tells the story of a young  and homophobic lifesaver (lifeguard) who becomes obsessed with another young lifesaver, who is both secretly and discreetly gay.

The fact that Phil has a loving boyfriend doesn't go down well with Len.

And, when Phil wins out over Len in a lifesaving competition, the die seems to be cast for a tragic denouement.

Len is played with fire-breathing intensity by Matt Levett, who is pretty scary a lot of the time.

Phil is played with persuasive charm and beauty by Jack Matthews, who suspects that he might be the object of Len's desire.

But Len is basically a "brute" who cannot really handle his homosexual desires.

The ending, which borders on the "horrific", is very difficult to listen to, watch, and get through.

In this day and age, are films of this kind really necessary?

Yes, I suppose so.

But that fact doesn't make them any easier to experience.

THE LOVE THAT DARE NOT SPEAK ITS' NAME!

25FB8D0E00000578-0-image-m-13_1424736236

(Seriously, though, to be gay is not to be less masculine.)

DROWN_billing_1080wide.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#78 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

"Lilting" is a 2014 gay film from England -

It's an extremely engrossing film about the unexpected death of a young Chinese gay man, Kai (who is strongly played by Andrew Leung).

His lover, Richard, a young Englishman (who is also strongly played by Ben Whishaw) tries to connect with Kai's mother, Junn (who is nicely played by Cheng Pei Pei).

The mom doesn't speak any English and has never adapted to her English surroundings - Kai put her away in a nursing home because he and Richard had no room for her.

Kai was never able to come out to his mother - and she didn't forgive him for putting her into a nursing home.

The film involves Richard's attempts to break through to Kai's mother and to acquaint her with the fact that he and Kai had been lovers for four years.

Richard even hires an understanding translator, Margaret (who is nicely played by Morven Christie).

The fact that Richard and Junn don't share a common language - and that she has always resented Richard's presence in Kai's life - seem to present an almost insurmontable problem for any kind of relationship between the two.

But Richard persists - and persists - and finally contact between the two is made.

The film has a lovely conceit - the dead son/lover, Kai, is constantly "materalizing" in both Junn's and Richard's lives.

He has never really died!

This exceptional film is written and directed by Hong Khaou.

LILTING-2.png

#79 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

A powerful short film....https://youtu.be/xKmr7QYtGFk

• rayban likes this

#80 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

This film is an attempt to tell a story - without actually telling it - that's what I don't like about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users