We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Horror films

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Gerb

Gerb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Anyone care to comment on the six Universal Horror sets released awhile back: Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, etc? I'm talking about the sets that had three or four movies in each from their respective series. I've heard mixed reviews about the quality, especially the print condition of the original DRACULA. I read that Universal didn't use their superior restored print for this. Any truth to this?

Thanks for any help that you can offer,
Gerb

#22 moviegeek

moviegeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Over-priced set, but a good nonetheless.

#23 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

" Hollywood Legends of Horror " includes "" Mark of the Vampire " with Bela,directed by Tod Browning is a good horror spoof with a good performance by Lionel Atwill. The picture quality is fine and the audio commentary is good if a little on the fast side, but it is informative. " The Mask of Fu Manchu " stars Boris Karloff, in the title role, with Myrna Loy as his **** daughter. This DVD is a fully restored version, no censorship, and includes an excellent audio commentary." Doctor X " a Technicolor horror film with Lionel Atwill, Lee Tracy ( as a wise - guy reporter ) and an auburn haired Fay Wray. Its good and also includes an excellent audio commentary." The Return of Doctor X ", stars Humphrey Bogart as a vampire and little else. It's better than I had remembered it, but it is so - so,at best. Director Vincent Sherman provides a very good commentary." Mad Love " has a good commentary and a very attractive Frances Drake as the lady that Peter Lorre admires, a bit too much. " The Devil Doll ", has no commentary, but this MGM horror film starring Lionel Barrymore ( also in The Mark of the Vampire ) and a very young Maureen O' Sullivan star is still a top - notch thriller.

#24 sugarpuss

sugarpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

I thought I'd give this one a review this one since 1. It's my favorite movie of all time, 2. TCM is going to premiere it in 3 separate times in October. Compared to the horror movies of now, it's considerably tame, but when it was released in 1964, it was shocking.

The film itself is great (but I'm terribly biased!). I've seen some people say that it's too long and too talky, but if you're expecting some kind of slasher movie, you're going to be disappointed. There's very little blood--most of the horror is psychological. And if you're a fan of Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland (in her one rare role as a truly evil ****), Joseph Cotten or Agnes Moorehead, you're enjoy it. Mary Astor and Bruce Dern have small parts as well.

The print of "...Charlotte" is spectacular. It's presented in it's original aspect ratio. The sound is clear and crisp. My only problem with the dvd is the appaling lack of extras. Normally, 20th Century Fox dvd's are loaded with extras, especially those released under the "Studio Classics" banner. This one is pretty minimal: you get the trailer, some tv spots and a deadly boring commentary by Glenn Erickson. His delivery is monotonous and if you're a devoted fan of the major stars, you'll find nothing new.

I was very diappointed to find out the AMC "...Charlotte" episode of "Backstory" was missing, since that's filled with plenty of rare pictures and interviews and snippets of a Joseph Cotten narrated featurette where Davis and deHavilland goof around for the camera. I'm not sure why this wasn't included since that would have been a great extra and the "Backstory"'s are usually included on Fox dvd's.

If you're a huge fan of the movie like I am, it's worth it just to have the movie on dvd. If you're a person who likes the movie, but is looking for fantastic extras as well, go buy "The Snake Pit" or "All About Eve" instead.

#25 Gerb

Gerb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

Any knowledge about the Hammer Horror box set with "Brides of Dracula", etc. I love that movie.

#26 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

I was watching the DVD of Horror of Dracula starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee last night. The print is excellent, and I think I like this Dracula film better than any others, including those of Bela Lugosi. Even in color, I found it atmosopheric. The musical score was excellent and added to the excitement. The performances by Cushing and Lee are great. Some of the little day players tend to get hammy, but Cushing keeps it on track. Also in the cast is a young Michael Gough, Alfred from the Batman movies.

Extras are minimal. There is a slight printed history of Dracula films of Hammer. No commentary. Still it is worth buying for the film itself.

#27 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Please review horror film DVDs here, thanks. When reviewing, good things to keep in mind that people want to know: how good was the film quality, was the film itself any good, what were the extras and how good were they, was there a good commentary, etc. You know, stuff you would like to know if you were thinking about buying a particular DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users