We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Musicals

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Film_Fatale

Film_Fatale

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

Today we watched *Scrooge* (1970) on DVD. I'd passed on watching it when TCM showed it because I wanted to make sure to get the best possible version, and even though it is not available on Blu-Ray, the regular DVD looks very impressive when played in a Blu-Ray player with the upconverting feature.

The colours are very strong, the sound is very good for an early 70's movie, and the transfer is crisp enough that I couldn't help but notice the wires used in one of the scenes where Alec Guinness' character flies around in Scrooge's place. The performances are quite good, although of course Guinness himself has a relatively small supporting part (in which he nonetheless makes a strong impression) but the movie really depends on Albert Finney, who does a credible enough job playing the old miser Scrooge. (He also has a few scenes as a young man, which remind us how handsome Finney was as a younger man.

Just to state the obvious, I'm posting this in the "Musicals" thread because of the Leslie Bricusse songs in the movie, which are good and enjoyable, although not - on a first viewing at least - particularly memorable. *Scrooge* was nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Music (Original Song) and Best Music (Original Song Score).

There aren't really any bonus features, although the movie does come with an overture, and an option that allows you to play the movie with or without the overture.

#22 MetroManiac

MetroManiac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Sorry -- *Yolanda and the Thief*

#23 MetroManiac

MetroManiac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

I just received the two-disc special edition of *An American in Paris*, and it is spectacular. For this edition, the film was remastered using Warner's ultra-resolution process, and the color and clarity is beyond belief. If I didn't know better, I would swear that the picture was made yesterday! I'm a big fan of Freed, Minnelli, Kelly, et al; so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but the entire package including some great extras is magnificent. Thank you Warner's for keeping the MGM musical alive. Now, let's have *Yoland and the Thief*.
  • Kami Koren likes this

#24 mateo107

mateo107

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

actually, i've always felt movies originally filmed in mono--especially the early talkies--should stay that way. trying to convert mono soundtracks to stereo have been met with some disastrous results.

my only real complaint with Vol. 1 was that the DVDs didn't seem to be thought out as units, and so they only make sense within the complete package. for instance, the extras on Gold Diggers of 1933 pertain mostly to 42nd Street, and things that would have made more logical sense on the Gold Diggers of '33 disc (like the Gold Diggers on Broadway excerpts) came about later.

Vol. 2 wasn't really as great as Vol. 1 anyway, i felt they should have included some of his earlier, more innovative work, like Wonder Bar. my guess is they were leaving just enough material for a Vol. 3

#25 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

I just bought The Busby Berkeley Collection Vol 1. It's great for many reasons-the picture quality is good, the variety of films, many rarely seen and the bonus "extras".
I was HUGELY disappointed this was released without any audio remastering. Don't people who like musicals, like hearing the music?
If it's too old to remix it in stereo, fine, just have the same music come out of multiple speakers. Instead, it's tinny and only comes out of the primary speakers instead of all 5 when using 5.1 SS.
They really missed the boat on this one....I won't be bothering with Vol 2.

#26 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

I'm bumping up the individual genre threads so people know where to place items or reviews about a particular genre.

#27 Cinemascope

Cinemascope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

I'd like to recommend the gorgeous new DVD of Till the Clouds Roll By recently released by Warner Home Video. :D

We all hate it when a title is in public domain hell but perhaps we don't give enough credit to the studios' home video divisions when one of them is rescued from PD hell. For many years, this was the fate of Till the Clouds Roll By one of those ol' MGM musicals of which many people would probably say that the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Sure, there's no denying that the Jerome Kern biopic is not as solid a film as some of the other MGM musicals, but it still has many great numbers. You'll probably watch it once from beginning to end, but you may find yourself playing it often for the great numbers by some of MGM's best and brightest, as well as for the condensed version of Show Boat that takes up about 17 minutes right at the movie's beginning.

My favorite number would have to be "Cleopatterer" with June Allyson, but don't forget that MGM stars like Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Cyd Charisse, Van Johnson and Kathryn Grayson also have some great numbers here.

Some great extras, too, with more information on Jerome Kern and the making of the movie (Kern died shortly before it was completed) but even without any extras, the crisp transfer and great sound would more than make it worthwhile!

P.S. Since a lot of video stores and even Netflix used to carry public-domain copies, this may be a title that is much easier to buy than to rent... still well worth it, especially if you love MGM musicals.

#28 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

The special 50th anniversary release of Carousel is really terrific. The print is excellent, there is a heartfelt and enlightening commentary by Shirley Jones, some good outtake songs set to photos, premiere footage, plus over 200 photos behind the scenes. There is also a very good featurette called Turns on the Carousel. An extra bonus on the second DVD is the 1934 film, Liliom, upon which Carousel is based, and it is a very interesting, if somber look, at the story. Charles Boyer plays Liliom (the character became Billy Bigelow in Carousel) and the film was directed by Fritz Lang.

(Speaking of Liliom, wouldn't we all loved to have seen the Broadway 1940 revival of the play starring Burgess Meredith as Liliom and Ingrid Bergman as Julie?)

#29 sandykaypax

sandykaypax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

Holiday Inn(1942) starring Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale, Walter Abel, Louise Beavers

I watched the new dvd issue of Holiday Inn recently. I also listened to the audio commentary by Ken Barnes. Mr. Barnes worked with Bing Crosby and knew both Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire personally. I found his commentary informative and informal, and quite pleasant to listen to. There are 2 short features on the disc--one is about how sound is used in musicals, dubbing in of taps and such that was interesting, but too brief. The other was a conversation with Ken Barnes and Fred Astaire's daughter, Ave Astaire MacKenzie. She tells a great story about her father filming the drunk dance in the New Year's Eve section of the film.

The sound and picture quality were very good. I have the old dvd issue of Holiday Inn, which was a double feature with Going My Way and the picture quality is better on the newer issue, although it was ok on the earlier release.

Definitely recommended for fans of Astaire, Crosby, holiday films, or musicals in general. I bought mine for $14.99 at Best Buy--great price.

Sandy K

Message was edited by:
sandykaypax

#30 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

Please review musical film DVDs here, thanks. When reviewing, good things to keep in mind that people want to know: how good was the film quality, was the film itself any good, what were the extras and how good were they, was there a good commentary, etc. You know, stuff you would like to know if you were thinking about buying a particular DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users