We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Myrna Loy as SOTM December 2016

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

I've been told that actress Dana Delany, who co-hosted, with Illeana Douglas, a night of last month's Trailblazing Women series, will return to TCM in December to guest host some Myrna Loy films.

Interesting.    I assume they will host the films where Loy plays a strong but still loving women.

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:22 PM

I've been told that actress Dana Delany, who co-hosted, with Illeana Douglas, a night of last month's Trailblazing Women series, will return to TCM in December to guest host some Myrna Loy films.

• LawrenceA likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

As much as I do truly love The Thin Mans and her better know films what I love about the Star of the Month feature is the obscurities it brings out of mothballs. In Myrna's case there are about 8 that I've never seen and Man-Proof is the only Rosalind Russell film I've yet to see so that will be a two for one.

I don't want to grouse since there will be so much goodness available but I had high hopes that they might finally show the Will Rogers version of A Connecticut Yankee with Myrna as Morgan le Fay. TCM apparently ran it many years ago and not since. Also the extremely rare If This Be Sin. But you can't have everything and I'm pleased with the schedule.

Several years ago they had an evening of Will Rogers films in late December (I think it was New Year's Eve, or maybe the day before). They showed A CONNECTICUT YANKEE that time. But since then, they seem to prefer running the Technicolor remake with Bing Crosby. It would be interesting to see them both one evening in primetime as a double feature.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 joel6

joel6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

As much as I do truly love The Thin Mans and her better know films what I love about the Star of the Month feature is the obscurities it brings out of mothballs. In Myrna's case there are about 8 that I've never seen and Man-Proof is the only Rosalind Russell film I've yet to see so that will be a two for one.

I don't want to grouse since there will be so much goodness available but I had high hopes that they might finally show the Will Rogers version of A Connecticut Yankee with Myrna as Morgan le Fay. TCM apparently ran it many years ago and not since. Also the extremely rare If This Be Sin. But you can't have everything and I'm pleased with the schedule.

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Happy that TCM has chosen Myrna Loy for SOTM for December. It's like a Christmas gift from the station to a her fans here. Thanks again TCM.

Agreed.   I checked the list (thanks Barton) and there are many pre-1935 films I haven't seen so that will be a treat.

I have seen everyone of the later films except for 3rd Finger, Left Hand and Lucky Night.

But hey,  seeing her for the 3rd or 4th time in movies with Powell,  Gable,  Grant and others is a must-see but still well worth the time.

#6 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

Happy that TCM has chosen Myrna Loy for SOTM for December. It's like a Christmas gift from the station to a her fans here. Thanks again TCM.
  • lydecker likes this

#7 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

​Myrna Loy -- 57 films and 1 documentary, Fridays in December!

​Films airing in primetime are bolded​.

20a403b13048fdfb73ede263e82d1155.jpg

​With Ronald Colman in ARROWSMITH ('31), airing December 2 on TCM.

December 2

​THE DESERT SONG (1929)

THE GREAT DIVIDE (1929)

NOAH'S ARK (1929)

SHOW OF SHOWS (1929)

THE DEVIL TO PAY (1930)

ARROWSMITH (1931)

CONSOLATION MARRIAGE (1931)

THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH (1930)

THE SQUALL (1929)

love-me-tonight-myrna-loy-maurice-cheval

​With Maurice Chevalier in LOVE ME TONIGHT ('32), airing December 9 on TCM.

​December 9

​THE NAUGHTY FLIRT (1931)

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM (1932)

EMMA (1932)

THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)

NEW MORALS FOR OLD (1932)

REBOUND (1932)

THE WET PARADE (1932)

LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932)

THE PRIZEFIGHTER AND THE LADY (1933)

NIGHT FLIGHT (1933)

THIRTEEN WOMEN (1933)

SCARLET RIVER (1933)

PENTHOUSE (1933)

THE BARBARIAN (1933)

The-Best-Years-of-Our-Lives-__4.jpg

​With Frederic March in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES ('46), airing December 16 on TCM.

​December 16

​TEST PILOT (1938)

MAN-PROOF (1938)

PARNELL (1937)

WIFE VS. SECRETARY (1936)

PETTICOAT FEVER (1936)

WHIPSAW (1935)

STAMBOUL QUEST (1934)

MEN IN WHITE (1934)

BROADWAY BILL (1934)

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946)

THIRD FINGER, LEFT HAND (1940)

LUCKY NIGHT (1939)

TOO HOT TO HANDLE (1938)

the-thin-man.jpg

​With Asta and William Powell in a publicity still for AFTER THE THIN MAN ('36), airing December 23 on TCM.

​December 23

​EVELYN PRENTICE (1934)

MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934)

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD (1936)

LIBELED LADY (1936)

DOUBLE WEDDING (1937)

I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940)

LOVE CRAZY (1941)

THE THIN MAN (1934)

AFTER THE THIN MAN (1936)

ANOTHER THIN MAN (1939)

SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN (1941)

THE THIN MAN GOES HOME (1945)

SONG OF THE THIN MAN (1947)

tumblr_ng8t91I9vO1qjmn31o1_500.png

With Doris Day during the filming of MIDNIGHT LACE ('60), airing December 30 on TCM.

​December 30

​WHEN LADIES MEET (1933)

THE RAINS CAME (1939)

SO GOES MY LOVE (1946)

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947)

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)

MIDNIGHT LACE (1960)

THE AMBASSADOR'S DAUGHTER (1956)

LONELYHEARTS (1958)

MYRNA LOY: SO NICE TO COME HOME TO (1991)

• jamesjazzguitar, lydecker and TopBilled like this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Well, it's not the end of September yet ... only the 26th. I know what you mean, though.

I'm sure the schedule will be available by the end of the week.

Hope so. I don't remember having to wait so long for the next month's schedule.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#9 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

It's the end of September and we still don't know which Myrna Loy films are going to be airing in December.

Well, it's not the end of September yet ... only the 26th. I know what you mean, though.

I'm sure the schedule will be available by the end of the week.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

It's the end of September and we still don't know which Myrna Loy films are going to be airing in December.

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

In the latest TCM Backlot contest, members are being asked to vote on which Myrna Loy photograph should be featured on the cover of the December 2016 issue of Now Playing magazine. Here are the options:

myrnathin.jpg?itok=cvqJAN3o

I prefer the third one.

#12 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

In the latest TCM Backlot contest, members are being asked to vote on which Myrna Loy photograph should be featured on the cover of the December 2016 issue of Now Playing magazine. Here are the options:

What?!? No Fah Lo See?!?

#13 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

If the December schedule is not available online tomorrow, then my guess is it will be up sometime next week. I'm hoping they don't limit it only to her MGM films. It would be nice to see some of her work at other studios.

#15 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yes,  more Loy pre-code films on TCM would be great.   What I find interesting about them is that Loy doesn't always play a likeable character;  E.g.  Animal Kingdom.       After the Thin Man Loy mostly played the perfect partner.

Her persona totally changed with THE THIN MAN, and she rarely looked back. She did do some exceptions, such as her man hungry trampin THE RAINS CAME.

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

I would like to see more of Myrna Loy's pre-code films.  I saw When Ladies Meet and thought it was very interesting.  I'm not so much interested in her silent films, except for perhaps the novelty of seeing Loy playing a vamp.  But, I'd like to see her pre-Thin Man output.  She worked at Warner Brothers for a few years before working at MGM where she made her biggest films.

Yes,  more Loy pre-code films on TCM would be great.   What I find interesting about them is that Loy doesn't always play a likeable character;  E.g.  Animal Kingdom.       After the Thin Man Loy mostly played the perfect partner.   

• speedracer5, TopBilled and Barton_Keyes like this

#17 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

I would like to see more of Myrna Loy's pre-code films.  I saw When Ladies Meet and thought it was very interesting.  I'm not so much interested in her silent films, except for perhaps the novelty of seeing Loy playing a vamp.  But, I'd like to see her pre-Thin Man output.  She worked at Warner Brothers for a few years before working at MGM where she made her biggest films.

A beautiful, versatile and classy lady, I would love to see a month's worth of Loy films, from the silents through the talkies, etc. I heartily agree.
  • speedracer5 and Barton_Keyes like this

#18 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,683 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

• jamesjazzguitar and Barton_Keyes like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Yes, of course they'll be airing a THIN MAN marathon around Christmas or New Year's Eve. And old TCM staples like LIBELED LADY, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE are sure to be included. I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers schedule Loy's last feature film, Sidney Lumet's JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT (1980).

I believe that TCM has access to ALL ABOUT EVE for at least one more airing, and that the programmers had that film ready to go if Backlot members had chosen Bette Davis. So I bet if the programmers go outside the TCM library at all, it will most likely be for 20th Century Fox films like CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN and/or THE RAINS CAME.

Right...they'll pick THE RAINS CAME. And if they get a special deal on it, they can re-air it for the Oscar stuff in February. It was nominated for six Academy Awards.

ALL ABOUT EVE can be used for Oscar month, too.

#20 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

Obviously, they'll do a whole night of Thin Man movies, probably during Christmas week. 

I sincerely doubt they'll go outside the TCM/Turner library of MGM and RKO films that Myrna did. But if they do, I'd like to see them choose THE RED PONY, which she did at Republic with Robert Mitchum and Louis Calhern. It's been a few years since TCM aired it, and it's such a great family film that it would work perfectly on the schedule in December.

Yes, of course they'll be airing a THIN MAN marathon around Christmas or New Year's Eve. And old TCM staples like LIBELED LADY, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE are sure to be included. I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers schedule Loy's last feature film, Sidney Lumet's JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT (1980).

I believe that TCM has access to ALL ABOUT EVE for at least one more airing, and that the programmers had that film ready to go if Backlot members had chosen Bette Davis. So I bet if the programmers go outside the TCM library at all, it will most likely be for 20th Century Fox films like CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN and/or THE RAINS CAME.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users