We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Myrna Loy as SOTM December 2016

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

What films would you like to see included in TCM's December 2016 Myrna Loy retrospective?

Obviously, they'll do a whole night of Thin Man movies, probably during Christmas week. 

I sincerely doubt they'll go outside the TCM/Turner library of MGM and RKO films that Myrna did. But if they do, I'd like to see them choose THE RED PONY, which she did at Republic with Robert Mitchum and Louis Calhern. It's been a few years since TCM aired it, and it's such a great family film that it would work perfectly on the schedule in December.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

TCM Backlot members have chosen Myrna Loy as SOTM in December 2016.

I'm glad. All the ones I wanted have been chosen-- Edward G. Robinson, Hedy Lamarr and Myrna Loy. 

Wonder if they'll allow Backlot members to choose some Oscar related programming in February.

• garovick likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

What films would you like to see included in TCM's December 2016 Myrna Loy retrospective?

#24 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

TCM Backlot members have chosen Myrna Loy as SOTM in December 2016.

Bette-Davis-1982.jpg

Bette Davis isn't pleased, but she'll get her due with a 24-hour marathon of her films on August 21.

• lydecker and TopBilled like this

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Myrna Loy, Bette is getting a day in August.  There are many of her movies shown all through the year and they are frequently featured as an essential.

I would agree with that. My vote is for Myrna Loy, too. They can air all six 'Thin Man' movies on one of the evenings, like near Christmas. That would certainly go over well with viewers.

#26 SierraAnne

SierraAnne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

Myrna Loy, Bette is getting a day in August.  There are many of her movies shown all through the year and they are frequently featured as an essential.

• TopBilled likes this

#27 ljthomasljt

ljthomasljt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

Would love to see Myrna Loy Movies in December 2016. 

#28 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

If you did Bette Davis movies in chronological order, you wouldn't even get to 1935 in 24 hours.
  • ljthomasljt likes this

#29 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

I love both of them-- but I think Bette has more product out there and it has more diversity to it.

But as long as it's not going to be Kirk Douglas--I'll just be very happy whomever they pick.

Miss Davis' take on her professional colleagues:

" The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?"

"I never did pal around with actresses. Their talk usually bored me to tears."
  • TopBilled likes this

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in  August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

True. I hadn't thought of that.

#31 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

I bet Myrna Loy will be chosen, because those Thin Man movies go better with holiday films in December. 

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in  August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

• TopBilled likes this

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Both Loy and Davis have been SOTM twice.     TCM should feature someone else.

I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps they picked very well-known icons because they don't think Backlot members are very knowledgeable about character actors or second-tier stars. 

I bet Myrna Loy will be chosen, because those Thin Man movies go better with holiday films in December. 

If she is chosen, it would be a good time to air Republic's THE RED PONY. But my guess is they'll just stick with the MGM and RKO titles she made. And if Bette is chosen, they'll mostly just show the Warner Brothers stuff.

#33 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

It's a hard choice as I can't see how to tie either in to the 14 showings of Holiday Affair .

Maybe it was either Bette Davis or Myrna Loy's favorite Christmas movie! 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#34 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

It's a hard choice as I can't see how to tie either in to the 14 showings of Holiday Affair .

• mr6666, TopBilled and LiamCasey like this

#35 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

As much as I love Bette Davis, I think I've seen most of her films.

I vote for Myrna Loy.

Both Loy and Davis have been SOTM twice.     TCM should feature someone else.

• mr6666 and TopBilled like this

#36 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

As much as I love Bette Davis, I think I've seen most of her films.

I vote for Myrna Loy.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#37 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Of the two, my choice would be Myrna Loy. But, in line with TB's reply, I'm amazed that it won't be Kirk Douglas.

• TopBilled likes this

#38 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

So definitely no Kirk Douglas 100th celebration? Or maybe they will do a special 24 hour Kirk movie marathon for him.

#39 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Bette Davis or Myrna Loy -- who would you rather see as the Star Of The Month in December? That is the choice for TCM Backlot members to decide in their latest contest.

Bette-Davis-1982.jpg

When I learn who Backlot members have selected, I will indicate their decision here.

• TopBilled and Princess of Tap like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users