We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

WORDS

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#21 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:27 AM

The retrograde Trump Administration is, of course, led by a retrograde.

#22 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

Word of the Day

retrograde

"Mr Lujack admonished his wife for her penchant for strolling the neighborhood in her bikini by pointing out that it was most retrograde to any standard of decency and that it, more importantly, was quite retrograde to his desires as her husband."

"The chance of a lifetime presented itself when God was to appear one night only at Madison Square Garden to explain the universe but my wife couldn't go because Saturn was in retrograde and consequently her astrological chart required her to spend the evening standing on her head reciting the Star-Spangled Banner backwards (distinctly retrogradient) while munching Oreo cookies."

"My Uncle Horace suffered a chronic obsession of driving maniacally the wrong way down one-way streets all his life, an obsession he no longer has since his traffic accident. According to the obit Mr Horace Phelps died instantly while driving retrograde to the flow of traffic."

https://www.vocabula...nary/retrograde

(OP's note: this is a favorite word)

• LawrenceA likes this

#23 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,458 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

I lately lost a preposition;
It hid, I thought, beneath my chair
And angrily I cried, "Perdition!
Up from out of under there."

Correctness is my vade mecum,
And straggling phrases I abhor,
And yet I wondered, "What should he come
Up from out of under for?"

- Morris Bishop

Cute.  Reminds me of something.....

The teacher my older daughter had for the 5th grade was the ENGLISH teacher I had in high school!  On "meet the teacher" night, I was flattered that she remembered ME,for I usually "cut up" a lot in her class. One time, when she asked the class, "Who can give me a definition of preposition?"  And after furiously waving my hand in the air, she called on me and I defined it thus-------

"A prepositon is a bad thing to end a sentence with."   -_-

She was QUITE the "looker" as a high school teacher (fresh out of college and in those short skirts) and STILL the looker when my daughter's teacher!  :wub:

Sepiatone

• Dargo likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#24 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

Word of the Day

penelopize

"With the day approaching set to discuss progress of my novel with the editor, I knew I wouldn't be ready so I decided to penelopize my work in order to create the appearance of  not being ready."

"Mr. Lujack's long business trips away from home never caused him worry about the fidelity of his wife, a regular penelope, despite the fact she was fond of walking around the neighborhood in a bikini."

From Penelope, the wife of Odysseus and mother of Telemachus in Greek mythology. She waited 20 years for her husband’s return from the Trojan War (ten years of war, and ten years on his way home). She kept her many suitors at bay by telling them she would marry them when she had finished weaving her web, a shroud for her father-in-law. She wove the web during the day only to unravel it during the night. Her name has become a synonym for a faithful wife: penelope.

• LawrenceA likes this

#25 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

I believe that the OED is now considered the only unabridged dictionary. 

Did you know that the word: "gullible' is not in the dictionary? 

REALLY???

Excuse me a minute while I check to see if you're right about this, Sans.

(...why, WHY, you LIAR you!!!)

#26 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

I lately lost a preposition;
It hid, I thought, beneath my chair
And angrily I cried, "Perdition!
Up from out of under there."

Correctness is my vade mecum,
And straggling phrases I abhor,
And yet I wondered, "What should he come
Up from out of under for?"

- Morris Bishop

• Dargo and Sepiatone like this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#27 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

To sway a bit off course here....

Interesting to note:

I have two "big" dictionaries.  One, a FUNK&WAGNALL'S published in 1965 and another, a WEBSTER'S published 12 years earlier.

But in the newer one, you'll find the word "Serendipity" whereas in the older one, you WON'T!

Yet, it's etymology dates back to 1754!

I believe that the OED is now considered the only unabridged dictionary. 

Did you know that the word: "gullible' is not in the dictionary? 

#28 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Word of the Day

Pandemonium

"Mrs Malaprop's impromptu speech at the gathering resulted in pandemonium, at least within the world of present company, The Association for Proper Usage in English Language Discourse."

The origin of this word is a bit more serious, in the literary world anyway. John Milton made it up it to characterize Hell in Paradise Lost when Lucifer was cast out of Heaven precipitating his Fall to that Low Place.

https://www.vocabula...ary/pandemonium

(An attempt was made to contact Mrs Malaprop by phone but she said she couldn't talk just then because she was watching her favorite movie on TCM, "Withering Heights.")

Good to know, laffite.

(...yep, ya know I always DID have a sneaky suspicion I was being lied to when told the etymology of this word stemmed from the sound those cute little Chinese "bears" make while experiencing coitus...or for that matter, that other one about it being coined as the result of Pandora opening her box)

;)

#29 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

I guess it's one of those chancy words.

#30 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,458 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

To sway a bit off course here....

Interesting to note:

I have two "big" dictionaries.  One, a FUNK&WAGNALL'S published in 1965 and another, a WEBSTER'S published 12 years earlier.

But in the newer one, you'll find the word "Serendipity" whereas in the older one, you WON'T!

Yet, it's etymology dates back to 1754!

Sepiatone

#31 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Word of the Day

Pandemonium

"Mrs Malaprop's impromptu speech at the gathering resulted in pandemonium, at least within the world of present company, The Association for Proper Usage in English Language Discourse."

The origin of this word is a bit more serious, in the literary world anyway. John Milton made it up it to characterize Hell in Paradise Lost when Lucifer was cast out of Heaven precipitating his Fall to that Low Place.

https://www.vocabula...ary/pandemonium

(An attempt was made to contact Mrs Malaprop by phone but she said she couldn't talk just then because she was watching her favorite movie on TCM, "Withering Heights.")

• Dargo likes this

#32 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. 

For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies.

We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things.

It is almost spooky because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

• Dargo, Sepiatone and LawrenceA like this

#33 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Word of the Day

Panoply

"I invited her up to view a panoply of my etchings."

https://www.vocabula...tionary/panoply

#34 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

Word of the Day

pulchritude

"Walder Frey was the Lord of the Crossing, Lord of Riverrun, Lord Paramount of the Trident, and the head of House Frey and of whom many things can be said not the least of which was that he was a pasty old **** and a downright disagreeable fellow who got his comeuppance in that none (save one perhaps) of his many daughters had an iota of pulchritude."

https://www.vocabula...ary/pulchritude

• LawrenceA likes this

#35 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

If some blithering twit gave me a withering "come hither" look, I'd go slithering thither and play my zither.

...putting the twit in a dither, no doubt.

#36 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

If some blithering twit gave me a withering "come hither" look, I'd go slithering thither and play my zither.

Ya know Lawrence, you're..ahem..the third man I've heard this from.

(...and what's the chances of that, eh?!)

#37 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

#38 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Can there be such a thing as a withering "come hither"  look?

Sepiatone

Quite so, I would think. And the recipient of that look would be well advised to go thither.

#39 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,458 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Can there be such a thing as a withering "come hither"  look?

Sepiatone

#40 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:09 AM

Word of the Day

withering

"I posted brilliantly on a movie I watched and expected accolades but was shocked to receive withering attacks from those who apparently don't understand my genius."

"She grew old and her beauty withered away but at least she still had a sense of humor."

https://www.vocabula...onary/withering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users