We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Little Known Film Noir & Return of Greats

4 replies to this topic

#1 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:23 PM

Didn't know about the change in setting but I feel it works well.   The CA location is more suburban then a NYC might be.    That setting enhances the domestic family situation more.      Of course maybe they just changed the location to save cost since Newport is a lot closer to Hollywood then NYC!

Me too. I agree that the change of location is beneficial in the respect of being nearer to Hollywood - by about three thousand miles! It is fun seeing familiar locales in the film.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

Yes, more people have seen The Reckless Moment lately. I had read the book called Blank Wall at one time. I am glad a lot of the older film noirs are becoming popular again. Yes, I wondered about Balboa too. When I was real young we used to visit my parent's friends in Newport Beach and go out to dinner on a refurbished 1890's showboat called The Reuben E. Lee. One thing I have noticed when watching the film is that for some reason they placed it in CA. In the book the story takes place in NYC and Lucia takes the train into NY to do her errands. In fact, when she is friendly with Msson (in the book) he takes her to a fancy restaurant on Madison Ave. Not sure where the house they were staying in was supposed to be located in the book. I love the 40's locales in the movie too.

Didn't know about the change in setting but I feel it works well.   The CA location is more suburban then a NYC might be.    That setting enhances the domestic family situation more.      Of course maybe they just changed the location to save cost since Newport is a lot closer to Hollywood then NYC!

• MCannady1 likes this

#3 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

I'm not so sure The Reckless Moment is a 'not well-known' noir film for fans of the genre since it stars Joan Bennett and she was one of the more well known 'women of noir' due to the films she made with E.G. Robinson.      The Southern California setting is featured well in this film.    I just love to see a 40s Balboa island and compare that visuals to how it is today (just went there last week). 

Anyhow both actors are in fine form in this noir film that centers on how a housewife handles her domestic life being turned up side down by the noir universe.

Yes, more people have seen The Reckless Moment lately. I had read the book called Blank Wall at one time. I am glad a lot of the older film noirs are becoming popular again. Yes, I wondered about Balboa too. When I was real young we used to visit my parent's friends in Newport Beach and go out to dinner on a refurbished 1890's showboat called The Reuben E. Lee. One thing I have noticed when watching the film is that for some reason they placed it in CA. In the book the story takes place in NYC and Lucia takes the train into NY to do her errands. In fact, when she is friendly with Msson (in the book) he takes her to a fancy restaurant on Madison Ave. Not sure where the house they were staying in was supposed to be located in the book. I love the 40's locales in the movie too.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Just thought of a fairly good film noir from the late 60's with Louis Jordan, Mary Tyler Moore and Wilfred Hyde-White IT is called Run a Crooked Mile and is pretty suspenseful. Two great Film Noirs that are not well-known are with James Mason are The Night Has Eyes (about 2 British schoolteachers stranded on the Yorkshire moors and forced to take refuge in a spooky mansion during a storm) and The Reckless Moment with James Mason and Joan Bennett. How rare does it get? Mason, the blackmailer, falls in love with his victim, Joan Bennett who would do anything to protect her family.
Some other British Film Noirs include Corridor of Mirrors with Eric Portman and Edana Romney. A beautiful socialite meets a handsome and reclusive man in a nightclub. When she visits his huge old-fashioned mansion, she finds he is obsessed with the past and is bent on finding the reincarnation of a 16th century femme fatale whom he has admired from a painting, The young woman seems to match the description. Soon she is invited to a fancy dress ball at the mansion. Murder and mayhem occur with little clues for the police. After the woman marries a successful barrister, she receives blackmail letters about the murder and her association with the mysterious man who would rather be executed than to discover the identity of the real killer! .

I'm not so sure The Reckless Moment is a 'not well-known' noir film for fans of the genre since it stars Joan Bennett and she was one of the more well known 'women of noir' due to the films she made with E.G. Robinson.      The Southern California setting is featured well in this film.    I just love to see a 40s Balboa island and compare that visuals to how it is today (just went there last week). 

Anyhow both actors are in fine form in this noir film that centers on how a housewife handles her domestic life being turned up side down by the noir universe.

• MCannady1 likes this

#5 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Just thought of a fairly good film noir from the late 60's with Louis Jordan, Mary Tyler Moore and Wilfred Hyde-White IT is called Run a Crooked Mile and is pretty suspenseful. Two great Film Noirs that are not well-known are with James Mason are The Night Has Eyes (about 2 British schoolteachers stranded on the Yorkshire moors and forced to take refuge in a spooky mansion during a storm) and The Reckless Moment with James Mason and Joan Bennett. How rare does it get? Mason, the blackmailer, falls in love with his victim, Joan Bennett who would do anything to protect her family.
Some other British Film Noirs include Corridor of Mirrors with Eric Portman and Edana Romney. A beautiful socialite meets a handsome and reclusive man in a nightclub. When she visits his huge old-fashioned mansion, she finds he is obsessed with the past and is bent on finding the reincarnation of a 16th century femme fatale whom he has admired from a painting, The young woman seems to match the description. Soon she is invited to a fancy dress ball at the mansion. Murder and mayhem occur with little clues for the police. After the woman marries a successful barrister, she receives blackmail letters about the murder and her association with the mysterious man who would rather be executed than to discover the identity of the real killer! .

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users