We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Singin' in the Rain" - Cinemark Classics Series

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

Singin' in the Rain is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have seen it several times; I missed the Cinemark showing of it, but there is a local historic theatre where I live (that was once used for vaudeville performances) that is showing Singin' in the Rain next Saturday, the 23rd, for $8.00 general admission, so I am very excited about this, as I have never seen it on the big screen either. 

I saw Gone with the Wind on the big screen when TCM presented it at select cinemas, and that truly was an experience. I was the youngest person in the audience by far; there was a fairly good turnout as well. 

I think it is great to be able to see these classic films on the big screen as they were intended to be shown. It really brings a little something extra to the filmgoing experience as a whole. 

• Dargo and CountVictorGrazinsky like this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#2 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Yes, it would be great if they included a lot more B&W movies and titles from the 30's and 40's in the series.  And I have noticed in recent months that some titles are repeating.  I agree, the availability of digital prints probably has a great deal to do with what titles are scheduled.  

Nevertheless, I'm glad the series is still running and for the most part has been successful in our theater locally. 

It's about Icons--Warner, being the timid paranoid neurotics that they are, literally think that the only "old movies" on their MGM catalog paying people care about anymore are the Big Three that Ted Turner used to push:  Gone With the Wind, Singin' and Oz, while Casablanca and Robin Hood, Warner can at least sell as their own Warner movie.

Although we haven't gotten as many of those great old Warner restoration disks as we used to back in the day, watch what happens when Warner DOES put out a classic-movie Blu-ray boxset--The Great Musicals box includes Singin' in the Rain, even if we'd already bought it three times.  The Golden Year 1939 box includes GWTW.  Take a guess which movie they'd include with a "Great Family Movies" box.  There, they've made it "safe" for you, by including a Ringer.

It's spread to other studios, now that every studio wants to Out-Icon each other:  If we see a recognizable "old movie" from Paramount, it's likely to be Grease or John Hughes.  If we see Fox, it's likely to be Planet of the Apes, Die Hard or Aliens.  Universal's gone all-out Studio-Icon happy, but they're not sure whether that icon is Hitchcock, the Monsters, or anything that was already a theme-park attraction like Jaws or Back to the Future.

It's not necessarily that the public thinks the studio doesn't have any other old catalog movies, it's that the STUDIO doesn't think they have any other old catalog movies we remember...They're too busy making it All About Themselves and trying to remind us why they're not Warner or Disney.  And if they keep it up, we will have a public that doesn't know any other old catalog movies.

(And I don't think it was necessarily the fact that Psycho and All About Eve were in B/W that brought such low audiences--
Eve has a bad guilt-by-association reputation as the "gayest" Bette Davis movie, while Psycho most people in our culture have already memorized by now...We've even got a cable series running that depends on knowing the twist ending!)

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#3 CountVictorGrazinsky

CountVictorGrazinsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

When TCM Fathom played up "Double Indemnity" as the sole iconic representative of One of Those Old 40's Noir Thingies, I thought, "Okay, finally something in B/W..."

(And looking up the website of that old Fine Arts theater in Maynard, MA where I first saw all my revival classics on the big screen as a kid, I discovered they not only rebuilt/rejuvenated the theater under a new owner, but also set up the old 90-seater Room 3 down the hall as the dedicated revival-classic room it used to be.

Although nowadays, for most theater distributors trying to get digital prints from studios, "Revival classics" means Saturday Night Fever, Spaceballs, and whatever the public can cult-quote.)

Yes, it would be great if they included a lot more B&W movies and titles from the 30's and 40's in the series.  And I have noticed in recent months that some titles are repeating.  I agree, the availability of digital prints probably has a great deal to do with what titles are scheduled.  

Nevertheless, I'm glad the series is still running and for the most part has been successful in our theater locally. 

#4 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

"Singin' in the Rain" screened on Sunday, the 10th, and today, Wednesday, the 13th, at selected Cinemark theaters throughout the country as part of their Classic Series.

Although I've seen the movie many times on TV and DVD, I had never seen it on the big screen and was looking forward to going.  Unfortunately, circumstances are preventing me from going this week.

Only two of them had very small audiences.  "All About Eve" had maybe 20 people in attendance.  The one that really surprised us was "Psycho", along with the two of us there were 6 others in the audience.  Really surprising as we had recently seen "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" with sold-out crowds.

And I realize that they have to show what sells tickets--or promote whatever big-time Blu-ray restoration the studio has to recoup its costs on--but it's creating too much brand-icon tunnel-vision in the minds of studios as to what classic movies "people watch":
How many times can Warner/MGM show Singin' in the Rain?  How many times can Paramount show Grease or Ferris Bueller?  How many times can Fox show the original Apes or Universal show Jaws, Hitchcock or the Monsters?

When TCM Fathom played up "Double Indemnity" as the sole iconic representative of One of Those Old 40's Noir Thingies, I thought, "Okay, finally something in B/W..."

(And looking up the website of that old Fine Arts theater in Maynard, MA where I first saw all my revival classics on the big screen as a kid, I discovered they not only rebuilt/rejuvenated the theater under a new owner, but also set up the old 90-seater Room 3 down the hall as the dedicated revival-classic room it used to be.

Although nowadays, for most theater distributors trying to get digital prints from studios, "Revival classics" means Saturday Night Fever, Spaceballs, and whatever the public can cult-quote.)

• CountVictorGrazinsky likes this

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#5 CountVictorGrazinsky

CountVictorGrazinsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

"Singin' in the Rain" screened on Sunday, the 10th, and today, Wednesday, the 13th, at selected Cinemark theaters throughout the country as part of their Classic Series.

Although I've seen the movie many times on TV and DVD, I had never seen it on the big screen and was looking forward to going.  Unfortunately, circumstances are preventing me from going this week.

Did anyone else go?  If so, how was the experience and the audience for the screening?

My best friend and I have attended a number of the Cinemark Classics during the last 3 years or so that the series has been running.  For the most part, the movies we have seen have attracted a fairly large audience, several capacity crowds.

Only two of them had very small audiences.  "All About Eve" had maybe 20 people in attendance.  The one that really surprised us was "Psycho", along with the two of us there were 6 others in the audience.  Really surprising as we had recently seen "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" with sold-out crowds.

I'm glad Cinemark has been doing this series and I hope it continues. 

• CaveGirl and NickAndNora34 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users