We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Natalie Wood as SOTM November 2016

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

I'm glad that TCM is not pushing her off into the ocean, this is a great schedule.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#22 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Seems as good a methodology to dole out the months as any other rationale.  I can only sit through Splendor in the Grass once every five years.

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

It will be the 35th anniversary of her death this November. 

Yes, that's correct.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

It will be the 35th anniversary of her death this November. 

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hasn't Natalie been SOTM before? 

Twice before-- in 1999 and again in 2010. She also had a day for Summer Under the Stars in 2013.

TCM usually airs her films on her birthday (July 20th each year).

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#26 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

Since this November will mark the thirty-fifth anniversary of Natalie Wood's death, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in the programmers deciding to honor her again.

If TCM wanted to make this upcoming festival stand out from others, they may invite Wood's daughter, actress Natasha Gregson Wagner, to co-host some of the films with Ben Mankiewicz. I think that this is a strong possibility, in fact, because I recall being most impressed by Gregson Wagner when she introduced a screening of GYPSY (1962) alongside Robert Osborne on TCM last November.

My opinion is mixed about TCM honoring Natalie again. It has nothing to do with Natalie as an actress or what kind of person she was...I'm certainly a fan. But if this is meant to coincide with the anniversary of her death, the circumstances of her drowning are still unclear. 

I do feel some of her other titles might have been selected. They could have actually done a fifth night and scheduled some more premieres.

• Barton_Keyes likes this

#27 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

This is a Good schedule--Some new ones I haven't seen, some I haven't seen in Way too long, and some old favorites.

Nov. 1st--"Storm Warning" (1951)--Ginger Rogers, Doris Day, and Ronald Reagen are excellent in this melodrama about the Klan--a real sleeper.

Nov. 2nd--Burt Lancaster day--not a stinker in the lot--"Brute Force" (1947) is a must see--"South Sea Woman" (1953) is maybe the least known.

Nov. 14th--"Exit Smiling" (1926)--Bea Lillie comedy.  "The Show of Shows" (1929)--Warner Bros. early talkie studio revue--Frank Fay as host gets on my nerves, but there is an early appearance by Myrna Loy in the song "Li-Po-Li".  "On Approval" (1944)--Sound "drawing room" British comedy, again with Bea Lillie.  "Laughing Sinners" (1931)--One of the first teamings of Gable and Crawford.

Nov. 21st--  "The Great Morgan" (1946)--Frank Morgan directs a musical.  Film is made up of outtakes and clips from MGM musicals.  Was never released in U.S.  A must see for me.  The rest of the day is Eleanor Powell musicals.

Nov. 23rd--Marx Bros. day.  At night, "The Sea Around Us" (1952)--won Oscar for Best Documentary.

#28 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

Natalie never looked lovelier or was more appealing than in LWTPS. If there's any film character I would have wanted to marry, Natalie's character in this film would have been near the top of the list.

Edited by TCMModerator1, 18 August 2016 - 11:16 PM.
Quote removed per OP request

#29 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,926 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hasnt Natalie been SOTM before? Not too original.

I'm still waiting for Brando!

#30 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hasnt Natalie been SOTM before? Not too original.

#31 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:47 AM

Since this November will mark the thirty-fifth anniversary of Natalie Wood's death, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in the programmers deciding to honor her again.

If TCM wanted to make this upcoming festival stand out from others, they may invite Wood's daughter, actress Natasha Gregson Wagner, to co-host some of the films with Ben Mankiewicz. I think that this is a strong possibility, in fact, because I recall being most impressed by Gregson Wagner when she introduced a screening of GYPSY (1962) alongside Robert Osborne on TCM last November.

• TopBilled and Princess of Tap like this

#32 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:31 AM

- comment deleted -

(will not participate in this thread since merged)

Edited by TikiSoo, 21 August 2016 - 05:26 AM.

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

Me too.

Me three.

#34 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,926 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

It was his only screen appearance as an actor. He switched to film editing and eventually became an impressive director, earning an Oscar nomination for "The Lion in Winter" (1968).

I wish TCM would show his 1971 film "They Might Be Giants" -- starring George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward -- more often. Since Woodward has Alzheimer's disease, maybe we'll see it in a retrospective of her films someday.

Edited by TCMModerator1, 18 August 2016 - 11:14 PM.
Quote removed per OP request

#35 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

The Sorrow and the Pity!  Awesome!

Also The Ascent and Battleship Potemkin.  Wow!  The first two parts of The Battle of Chile!  Also Sans Soleil!  Why do they show Burden of Dreams, but never Fitzcarraldo?

#36 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

Some interesting things. I like the spotlight on documentaries, even if many of them have been shown before. I'm looking forward to Sherman's March (1986) and Chronicle of a Summer (1961).

I have a few to record on Claude Rains day, and a couple of Jason Robards films.

I'm happy to see Ucho/The Ear (1973) on the list.

At least four TCM Underground titles I haven't seen: The Muthers, Melinda, Punk Vacation, and Killer Party.

#37 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

Please delete.

• TikiSoo and Arturo like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#38 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Please delete.

• Arturo, TopBilled, LawrenceA and 1 other like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#39 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Wood was SOTM in July 1999 and June 2010,   so she will be one of the few SOTM 3 timers.

Thanks. And I know she has had at least one Summer Under the Stars day plus birthday tributes.

Natalie made a lot of good films and people like her.

#40 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

Barton just informed me the latest schedule information is now available, and Natalie Wood is TCM's Star of the Month for November 2016. I believe she's been honored before, but it's been awhile. 

I've renamed the thread. I know Fran Ryan fans everywhere are disappointed. LOL

Wood was SOTM in July 1999 and June 2010,   so she will be one of the few SOTM 3 timers.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users