We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Natalie Wood as SOTM November 2016

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

Barton just informed me the latest schedule information is now available, and Natalie Wood is TCM's Star of the Month for November 2016. I believe she's been honored before, but it's been awhile. 

I've renamed the thread. I know Fran Ryan fans everywhere are disappointed. LOL

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

The November schedule is not available yet. It's kind of weird knowing who the December Star of the Month is before we know about November. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Nothing yet on the November schedule. So unless we get some information this afternoon, it will be next week sometime when we find out about the Star of the Month.

#44 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

I'm guessing TCM will continue this tradition this year. So, what might the SOTM theme be in November? My guess is that the focus will be on male actors, given October's Spotlight emphasis on women in film.

I think you're right-- we haven't had a group SOTM in a while, so we're due for another one.

I was having fun with the possibility of Fran Ryan. Once we know the real SOTM for November, I will rename the thread. :)

• Barton_Keyes likes this

#45 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

Fran Ryan as SOTM? As much as I like the sound of that, I gotta tell ya, that seems unlikely.

I think the far more likely SOTM selection for November 2016 is one of those group SOTM festivals TCM presents every so often. One month a year since 2000 TCM has temporarily suspended their typical comprehensive look at one star's career in order to focus on many star vehicles that are linked by a particular unifying theme.

The previous sixteen examples are:

August 2000: Film Debuts

April 2001: Knighted Actors

October 2002: Final Films

June 2003: TV Actors in Films

July 2004: Stars That Died Before Their Time

January 2005: Canadian Actors

October 2006: Child Stars

September 2007: A Star Is Born

March 2008: Acting Dynasties

April 2009: Funny Ladies

January 2010: Method Actors

July 2011: Singing Cowboys

June 2012: Teen Idols

May 2013: Tough Guys

November 2014: Silent Stars

June 2015: Pin-Up Girls

I'm guessing TCM will continue this tradition this year. So, what might the SOTM theme be in November? My guess is that the focus will be on male actors, given October's Spotlight emphasis on women in film.

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

It would be interesting if they made Kirk Douglas the Star of the Month in November, to get a jump on his 100th birthday festivities. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-25%2Bat%2B1.48.0

Or else they could pick Fran Ryan. She would've been 100 on November 29th. And she was, after all, a better actress than Bette Davis (at least in Joan Crawford's estimation).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-25%2Bat%2B1.48.1

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Fran_Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users