We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lost Silents?

lost film silent film

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

Madame Peacock (1920) is one I'd like to see; I first read that it was lost, then that it did exist, and now I'm not sure what became of that film. If it's still out there, I'd love to see it. Alla Nazimova, Rex Cherryman, and John Steppling are three actors I'd love to see. I saw Nazimova and Cherryman together in Camille, but I've not seen John Steppling, I've only read about him. I'm curious, he sounds like a very interesting person, I'd love to see him in a movie.

• TopBilled likes this

#2 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

There are tons of lost films I would love to see found. Here are just a few. Trouble is there are many lost films that actually have been found, but have not been restored yet. Others have been restored but aren't generally available to the public.

1. FLAMING YOUTH (1923) - Colleen Moore, Milton Sills

2. THE BATTLE CRY OF PEACE (1916) - Thomas Ince

3. LITTLE WOMEN (1919)

4. THE QUEEN OF SHEBA (1921) Betty Blythe

5. THE GREAT MOMENT (1921) Swanson, Sills.

6. HUMAN WRECKAGE (1923) Bessie Love

7. SO BIG (1924) Colleen Moore, Ben Lyon

8.  KISS ME AGAIN (1925) Ernst Lubitsch Marie Prevost, Clara Bow

9. THE THUNDERING HERD (1925) Jack Holt, Billie Dove

10 TOWER OF LIES (1925) Lon Chaney, Norma Shearer, William Haines

11. SYNCOPATING SUE (1926). Corinne Griffith

12. THE BOY FRIEND (1926) Marceline Day

13. THE ROUGH RIDERS (1927) Victor Fleming. Charles Farrell, Mary Astor

14. THE WIZARD (1927) Virginia Valli, Edmund Lowe

15. GATEWAY OF THE MOON (1928) Dolores Del Rio, Walter Pidgeon

16. LADIES OF THE MOB (1928) Clara Bow, Richard Arlen

17. MASKS OF THE DEVIL (1928). John Gilbert, Alma Rubens

18. 4 DEVILS F. W. Murnau. Janet Gaynor, Mary Duncan

19. CHRISTINA (1929) Janet Gaynor

20. THE CASE OF LENA SMITH Josef' Von Sternberg. Esther Ralston

I see a few Clara Bow movies on that list, Ladies of the Mob (1928) and Kiss Me Again (1925). From what I've seen, Clara is wonderful to watch on screen, a really talented and likable actress. I'd love to see more of her work, its a shame those two are lost. 

• TopBilled likes this

#3 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

There are tons of lost films I would love to see found. Here are just a few. Trouble is there are many lost films that actually have been found, but have not been restored yet. Others have been restored but aren't generally available to the public.

1. FLAMING YOUTH (1923) - Colleen Moore, Milton Sills

2. THE BATTLE CRY OF PEACE (1916) - Thomas Ince

3. LITTLE WOMEN (1919)

4. THE QUEEN OF SHEBA (1921) Betty Blythe

5. THE GREAT MOMENT (1921) Swanson, Sills.

6. HUMAN WRECKAGE (1923) Bessie Love

7. SO BIG (1924) Colleen Moore, Ben Lyon

8.  KISS ME AGAIN (1925) Ernst Lubitsch Marie Prevost, Clara Bow

9. THE THUNDERING HERD (1925) Jack Holt, Billie Dove

10 TOWER OF LIES (1925) Lon Chaney, Norma Shearer, William Haines

11. SYNCOPATING SUE (1926). Corinne Griffith

12. THE BOY FRIEND (1926) Marceline Day

13. THE ROUGH RIDERS (1927) Victor Fleming. Charles Farrell, Mary Astor

14. THE WIZARD (1927) Virginia Valli, Edmund Lowe

15. GATEWAY OF THE MOON (1928) Dolores Del Rio, Walter Pidgeon

16. LADIES OF THE MOB (1928) Clara Bow, Richard Arlen

17. MASKS OF THE DEVIL (1928). John Gilbert, Alma Rubens

18. 4 DEVILS F. W. Murnau. Janet Gaynor, Mary Duncan

19. CHRISTINA (1929) Janet Gaynor

20. THE CASE OF LENA SMITH Josef' Von Sternberg. Esther Ralston

• TopBilled likes this

#4 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

This is one of the best resources for finding the status of a silent feature film.

http://memory.loc.go...films-home.html

That's cool, I've been playing around with it, typing in movie titles and seeing what it says  :D

I love what it says on the home page:

"During that time filmmakers established the language of cinema, the motion pictures they created reached a height of artistic sophistication

I love that, it says that perfectly. In the era of silent film, they established the language of cinema. Artistic sophistication describes those beautiful works of art perfectly.

#5 drednm

drednm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

This is one of the best resources for finding the status of a silent feature film.

http://memory.loc.go...films-home.html

• BelleLeGrand1, TopBilled, LawrenceA and 2 others like this

#6 drednm

drednm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

Madame Sans-Gene (1925) is the film Swanson searched for for years. She thought is was her best film. A French archivist (lost his name for the moment) found a copy but it was lost during WW II. Swanson's The Humming Bird (1924) survives in rough shape at Library of Congress but Paramount won't do anything with in.  Zaza (1923) exists at Eastman House (I saw it there) but nothing is being done to get it on DVD (Paramount again). Most of the rest of her starring films for Paramount are lost.

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

BLUEBEARD'S 8TH WIFE is also one that I would like to see, I love Gloria Swanson, she is captivating to watch, I love her movies. 

Yes, so do I. She has a unique screen presence.

• Natalie Webb likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

BEHOLD MY WIFE! (1920)

BLUEBEARD'S 8TH WIFE (1923) with Gloria Swanson

THE CALLAHANS AND THE MURPHYS (1927) with Marie Dressler & Polly Moran

THE GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1930) a talkie with Ann Harding.

JEALOUSY (1929) a talkie with Jeanne Eagels

And I'd like it if someone found a copy of a precode that was destroyed called CONVENTION CITY.

BLUEBEARD'S 8TH WIFE is also one that I would like to see, I love Gloria Swanson, she is captivating to watch, I love her movies. 

• TopBilled likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

So, TopBilled, any missing/lost films you'd like to find in your attic?

BEHOLD MY WIFE! (1920)

BLUEBEARD'S 8TH WIFE (1923) with Gloria Swanson

THE CALLAHANS AND THE MURPHYS (1927) with Marie Dressler & Polly Moran

THE GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1930) a talkie with Ann Harding.

JEALOUSY (1929) a talkie with Jeanne Eagels

And I'd like it if someone found a copy of a precode that was destroyed called CONVENTION CITY.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#10 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Probably because someone passed away and the children or grandchildren didn't know what had been collected and put into storage. 

Very true, I think that's how the Salome wig and costumes were left sitting in that storage shed; someone moved away or died and left the stuff. 

• TopBilled likes this

#11 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

So, TopBilled, any missing/lost films you'd like to find in your attic?

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

I can't even imagine, I hear about people finding signed Valentino photos, Alla Nazimova's blouse and costumes, important footage, etc. and all I have in my attic is some insulation and an old fish tank. How do you have that kind of stuff in your attic/storage shed and not know it? 

Probably because someone passed away and the children or grandchildren didn't know what had been collected and put into storage. 

#13 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Yes, please check your attic as soon as possible. Theda's fans are waiting. LOL

I can't even imagine, I hear about people finding signed Valentino photos, Alla Nazimova's blouse and costumes, important footage, etc. and all I have in my attic is some insulation and an old fish tank. How do you have that kind of stuff in your attic/storage shed and not know it? 

• TopBilled likes this

#14 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Indeed, they couldn't have understood at the time how precious that film was, a very good analogy. Now, if only I'd go through boxes in my attic and find some Theda Bara film  :D

Although you never know, I heard someone found Nazimova's Solome wig in a trunk in an old storage shed.

• TopBilled likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Indeed, they couldn't have understood at the time how precious that film was, a very good analogy. Now, if only I'd go through boxes in my attic and find some Theda Bara film  

Yes, please check your attic as soon as possible. Theda's fans are waiting. LOL

#16 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

A good analogy is this--

We've all gone through boxes in the attic or stuff collecting dust on a shelf in the garage-- deciding to toss items out, not realizing they might still have value. It happens. But yes, if only we could go back in time and save those films.

Indeed, they couldn't have understood at the time how precious that film was, a very good analogy. Now, if only I'd go through boxes in my attic and find some Theda Bara film  :D

• TopBilled likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Wow, isn't it a shame that more was not done to protect silent film? It just wasn't valued at that time, sometimes it was literally thrown out or burned. The fire in 1937 destroyed many as well. I have to admit, I haven't seen much of Theda Bara's work, but I have heard a lot about her. The original "Vamp" actress. I hear she wore some very interesting costumes in Cleopatra; it's a shame not much of that movie survived.

A good analogy is this--

We've all gone through boxes in the attic or stuff collecting dust on a shelf in the garage-- deciding to toss items out, not realizing they might still have value. It happens. But yes, if only we could go back in time and save those films.

#18 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Theda Bara in Cleopatra (1917) is another everybody is digging for. About four minutes survive... I think. In the 1930s, Fox, Paramount and Warner (with their First National and Vitagraph material) often made short subjects that used clips from silent films before a few vault fires later that decade and beyond took their toll. Some impressive footage from Paramount's The Miracle Man was showcased in the still surviving Movie Milestones (1935) although the complete feature is now gone. Apparently most of Theda's films were still around as late as 1937 or so when Fox suddenly lost a lot of material.

Wow, isn't it a shame that more was not done to protect silent film? It just wasn't valued at that time, sometimes it was literally thrown out or burned. The fire in 1937 destroyed many as well. I have to admit, I haven't seen much of Theda Bara's work, but I have heard a lot about her. The original "Vamp" actress. I hear she wore some very interesting costumes in Cleopatra; it's a shame not much of that movie survived.

#19 drednm

drednm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

(1)--"London After Midnight" (1927)--With Lon Chaney Sr., directed by Tod Browning.  I've seen the version that is stills from the production; now if the film would be discovered and shown.

(2)--"Yolanda" (1924)--Marion Davies film I've never heard whether it was available to view or not.  I certainly would like to see it.

Yolanda certainly exists. I bought a copy from the Belgian film archive. The intertitles are in French and Dutch but the video quality is very good for an unrestored film. Mammoth castle sets and good story. Marion Davies is, of course, gorgeous in another dual role. I believe the only American archive to own a copy is MoMA and it has Czech intertitles. The film has never been seen in this country since its 1924 debut.

• TopBilled, LawrenceA, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

#20 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

Theda Bara in Cleopatra (1917) is another everybody is digging for. About four minutes survive... I think. In the 1930s, Fox, Paramount and Warner (with their First National and Vitagraph material) often made short subjects that used clips from silent films before a few vault fires later that decade and beyond took their toll. Some impressive footage from Paramount's The Miracle Man was showcased in the still surviving Movie Milestones (1935) although the complete feature is now gone. Apparently most of Theda's films were still around as late as 1937 or so when Fox suddenly lost a lot of material.

• LawrenceA, film lover 293 and Natalie Webb like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lost film, silent film

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users