We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

DINNER AT EIGHT (1932)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

Once upon a time, it even received a Broadway revival.

Littered with stars, Arlene Francis was the drawing card, I believe.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,046 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

Interesting comments on Dressler, flask. 

And welcome to the boards.

• rayban and flask like this

#3 flask

flask

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

I watched this film recently. Quite delightful. The suicide of Larry (Barrymore) was unexpectedly poignant, and one can't help but feel pity for Barrymore himself given his own later fate. The old Vaudeville Queen (Dressler) advising Paula (Madge Evans) to conceal her sexual adventures from a doting fiancé was a deliciously Pre-Code moment. And, of course, Billie Burke was her usual "acting-is-dancing" fairy-like self. I loved every minute of it.

On a side note:

It was very interesting to see Marie Dressler act in a film with Lionel Barrymore and John Barrymore. According to a November 10, 1933, article in The New York Times, "it was Maurice Barrymore, father of Ethel, John and Lionel, who was responsible for changing [Dressler] into a comic. He saw [Dressler's] laugh-making qualities which others had missed," and Dressler ascribed her later success to him. At the time Dinner at Eight was made, Dressler was "one of the highest-salaried stars in pictures," a far-cry from her impoverished chorus-girl days.

• TopBilled, LawrenceA, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

#4 Dialogfan

Dialogfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Dinner at Eight (1932), is a trenchant observation of New York’s high society.  Beautifully directed by George Cukor, with razor-sharp characterizations, Dinner at Eight is a film one can watch over and over.  I was particularly struck by John Barrymore’s character, washed up thespian Larry Renault. Television wasn’t around to throw him a life line, in which he could have played a strict but loving father.  With the studio system firmly in control, there was no hot shot independent film maker to resurrect the career of a fading actor.

John Barrymore’s alcoholism would later cost him parts, and the irony cannot be lost that the Larry Renault character was an alcoholic.   The scene of Barrymore’s breakdown, after being humiliated by his agent, and later evicted from the hotel, is devastating.  I was also struck by Marie Dressler’s character, Carlotta Vance, reflecting on the loss of the New York she knew in her younger days, in front of Oliver Jordan (Lionel Barrymore).  Every performance in Dinner at Eight is memorable.

Well said. 

This past Spring, TCM did a bunch of Marie Dressler movies and I am now a huge fan of her work.   Anything with John Barrymore we watch.  

Dinner at Eight is one of those movies that, if on, I can't take my eyes off the screen. 

• TCMModerator1 and rayban like this

#5 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

Dinner at Eight (1932), is a trenchant observation of New York’s high society.  Beautifully directed by George Cukor, with razor-sharp characterizations, Dinner at Eight is a film one can watch over and over.  I was particularly struck by John Barrymore’s character, washed up thespian Larry Renault. Television wasn’t around to throw him a life line, in which he could have played a strict but loving father.  With the studio system firmly in control, there was no hot shot independent film maker to resurrect the career of a fading actor.

John Barrymore’s alcoholism would later cost him parts, and the irony cannot be lost that the Larry Renault character was an alcoholic.   The scene of Barrymore’s breakdown, after being humiliated by his agent, and later evicted from the hotel, is devastating.  I was also struck by Marie Dressler’s character, Carlotta Vance, reflecting on the loss of the New York she knew in her younger days, in front of Oliver Jordan (Lionel Barrymore).  Every performance in Dinner at Eight is memorable.

• TopBilled, hercule and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users