We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2016 In Memoriam programming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'll bet Marni Nixon is being honored with WEST SIDE STORY. Nancy Reagan is being honored with NIGHT INTO MORNING, Alan Young is being honored with THE TIME MACHINE.

Starting with WHEN LADIES MEET, the theme is Star of the Month Myrna Loy.

Okay, thanks. That covers it. I will crop the second screen shot so it's more accurate.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

I'll bet Marni Nixon is being honored with WEST SIDE STORY. Nancy Reagan is being honored with NIGHT INTO MORNING, Alan Young is being honored with THE TIME MACHINE.

Starting with WHEN LADIES MEET, the theme is Star of the Month Myrna Loy.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Several of the ones we predicted are being honored.

December 29th:

Looks like George Kennedy; Gloria DeHaven; Alan Rickman; Patty Duke; and Marni Nixon.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B8.52.5

December 30th:

Looks like Nancy Reagan (who had a tribute in July) and Alan Young.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B9.05.0

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Classic movie fan

Classic movie fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:46 AM

Also Madeline Lebeau who was the last surviving cast member of the 1941 classic "Casablanca" will probably be included
" Nobody's Perfect"

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

I would add Frank Finlay (Othello, Molly Maguires), Richard Davalos (East of Eden), Madeline Sherwood (Cat On a Hot Tin Roof), Marni Nixon (any of those musicals).

Other notable behind-the-scenes people that may garner a film include cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond,  production designer Ken Adam, director Guy Hamilton, director Abbas Kiarostami, and cinematographer Douglas Slocombe.

And then there's Muhammad Ali.

Yes...I almost mentioned Guy Hamilton...glad you brought him up. Sherwood in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF is a strong possibility since that film is in the channel's library...and she's very good in it.

One person who was overlooked in late 2015 was Joan Leslie, but that's because TCM had an Essentials theme already in place for her in early January. 

Another actress is Paramount beauty Kristine Miller. I think she died in late 2015, but her family did not announce her passing until well into 2016. So none of us knew. And on her wiki page, there is still no specific date listed for her death.

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

I would add Frank Finlay (Othello, Molly Maguires), Richard Davalos (East of Eden), Madeline Sherwood (Cat On a Hot Tin Roof), Marni Nixon (any of those musicals).

Other notable behind-the-scenes people that may garner a film include cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond,  production designer Ken Adam, director Guy Hamilton, director Abbas Kiarostami, and cinematographer Douglas Slocombe.

And then there's Muhammad Ali.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

In a few weeks information about TCM's December schedule will be made available online. And yes it is that time of year again when we look to see which recently deceased stars will be honored in primetime at the end of December.

Gloria DeHaven will probably be included, since the bulk of her films were made at MGM and those titles are in the TCM/Turner library.  

I think George Kennedy will be honored. So will Patty Duke. And maybe Alan Young with a showing of THE TIME MACHINE.

Other notable passings this year include Garry Marshall, Arthur Hiller, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Nancy Davis Reagan and Doris Roberts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users