We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Silent feature films on Amazon Prime

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

There's an interesting historical film from 1917 on Amazon Prime:

SCREEN.jpg

For more: https://en.wikipedia...tsy_Ross_(film)

• LawrenceA and Natalie Webb like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Some more I discovered on Amazon Prime:

SHORE LEAVE

THE EAGLE

THE BLASPHEMER

BLOOD AND SAND

THE GOOSE WOMAN

CAMPUS KNIGHTS

THE JOYLESS STREET

DON Q SON OF ZORRO

THE GARDEN OF EDEN

ROBIN HOOD

LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY

SPARROWS

THE LOVE LIGHT

THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD

POLLYANNA

THREE MUSKETEERS

THE BLACK PIRATE

I see a few Valentino films on there, I love The EagleLittle Annie Rooney (1925) with Mary Pickford was so sad, I think it's one of the saddest silent movies I've ever watched. Mary's expressions were so good, her facial expressions are so perfect, no dialogue is needed.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

A very early Ernst Lubitsch film has been added on Amazon Prime:

THE EYES OF THE MUMMY (1918)...it was the first collaboration between Lubitsch and Pola Negri.

For more: https://en.wikipedia...en_der_Mumie_Ma

• BelleLeGrand1 and LawrenceA like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

Thanks to TopBilled's posting, I discovered a group of silent films (including Stella Maris, and 3 Valentinos just for Natalie!) with wonderful piano scores composed and performed by Keith Taylor.  He understands the relationship between the visuals and music, unlike so many newer musicians, whose scores seem at odds with the films.

http://aakeithtaylor.com/DVDs.html

They can be viewed on YouTube, or purchased either through his site or Amazon.  The video quality is excellent. 

Those are very cool, I watched Son of The Sheik with his score today, and it was marvelous, thank you for the link! I especially liked his music for the scene where Ahmed (Rudy) sees Yasmin (Vilma Banky) from a balcony, and crushes the flower she throws to him, the music fit perfectly; that was always one of the most memorable scenes to me, so I was excited to hear the music went so well with it.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

#5 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Thanks to TopBilled's posting, I discovered a group of silent films (including Stella Maris, and 3 Valentinos just for Natalie!) with wonderful piano scores composed and performed by Keith Taylor.  He understands the relationship between the visuals and music, unlike so many newer musicians, whose scores seem at odds with the films.

http://aakeithtaylor.com/DVDs.html

They can be viewed on YouTube, or purchased either through his site or Amazon.  The video quality is excellent. 

• TopBilled, LawrenceA and Natalie Webb like this

#6 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

I was fortunate to see Stella Maris a few years ago at Cinevent, with live piano accompaniment by Philip Carli.  Mary was such a great actress that I completely forgot she was playing two parts.  Stunning piece of work.  Lucky you having this film as your first Pickford.

TCM recently showed Mary Pickford: Muse of the Movies and it was so interesting, I loved hearing Mary herself describe her introduction to movies and how it was to work with a legendary director like D. W. Griffith.

• BelleLeGrand1 and TopBilled like this

#7 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

I was fortunate to see Stella Maris a few years ago at Cinevent, with live piano accompaniment by Philip Carli.  Mary was such a great actress that I completely forgot she was playing two parts.  Stunning piece of work.  Lucky you having this film as your first Pickford.

Oh, that sounds like so much fun, I'd love to see it with live accompaniment! I could hardly tell that it was Mary in both parts, her demeanor and looks were so totally different! I love that this movie was not just a sweet love story, it had its dark twists. What a climatic ending!

#8 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:32 AM

I LOVED Stella Maris (1918), the story of a girl who has grown up believing a fantasy and thinking the world is only goodness and must suddenly adapt to living in a cruel reality; a poor orphan who never received love or kindness realizes that there are good people in the world. It was the first Pickford film I ever saw and it made me adore Mary Pickford.

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#9 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

A few more silent classics were recently added on Amazon Prime:

THE AFFAIRS OF ANATOL (1921)..with Gloria Swanson

THE COUNTY FAIR (1920)..with Helen Jerome Eddy

THE GENERAL (1926)..with Buster Keaton

THE LOVE OF SUNYA (1927)..with Gloria Swanson

A ROMANCE OF THE REDWOODS (1917)..with Mary Pickford

STELLA MARIS (1918)..with Mary Pickford

I LOVED Stella Maris (1918), the story of a girl who has grown up believing a fantasy and thinking the world is only goodness and must suddenly adapt to living in a cruel reality; a poor orphan who never received love or kindness realizes that there are good people in the world. It was the first Pickford film I ever saw and it made me adore Mary Pickford.

• BelleLeGrand1 and TopBilled like this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

These silent classics were added on Amazon Prime:

THE CHEAT (1915)..with Fannie Ward

ORPHANS OF THE STORM (1921)..with Lillian Gish

THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE (1924)..with Adolphe Menjou

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

A few more silent classics were recently added on Amazon Prime:

THE AFFAIRS OF ANATOL (1921)..with Gloria Swanson

THE COUNTY FAIR (1920)..with Helen Jerome Eddy

THE GENERAL (1926)..with Buster Keaton

THE LOVE OF SUNYA (1927)..with Gloria Swanson

A ROMANCE OF THE REDWOODS (1917)..with Mary Pickford

STELLA MARIS (1918)..with Mary Pickford

• BelleLeGrand1, rayban and Natalie Webb like this

#12 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

If I remember correctly, I saw the last half of it on TCM when Lillian Gish had a Summer Under the Stars day a few summers ago. But I need to watch it all the way through from start to glorious finish.

I watched it for the first time not long ago when TCM showed it during silent Sunday. I really like Lillian Gish, so I was excited that they played that one. 

• TopBilled likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

I think you'll like it; it has Lillian and Dorothy Gish playing sisters in the movie! It must have been fun for them.

If I remember correctly, I saw the last half of it on TCM when Lillian Gish had a Summer Under the Stars day a few summers ago. But I need to watch it all the way through from start to glorious finish.

• Natalie Webb likes this

#14 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for your comment Natalie. I haven't watched it yet, so I will make it a priority.

I think you'll like it; it has Lillian and Dorothy Gish playing sisters in the movie! It must have been fun for them.

• TopBilled likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

Some more I discovered on Amazon Prime:

SHORE LEAVE

THE EAGLE

THE BLASPHEMER

BLOOD AND SAND

THE GOOSE WOMAN

CAMPUS KNIGHTS

THE JOYLESS STREET

DON Q SON OF ZORRO

THE GARDEN OF EDEN

ROBIN HOOD

LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY

SPARROWS

THE LOVE LIGHT

THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD

POLLYANNA

THREE MUSKETEERS

THE BLACK PIRATE

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

I absolutely love the intertitles at the beginning of Orphans of the Storm. They talk about how some people were "otherwise moral men" except that they saw evil in anything that did not think the way that they did. There were many other wise sayings all throughout that film, its a very interesting movie. The sets are beautiful, and the camera movement and angles are captivating. I saw that one on your list, and it reminded me of how much I liked it.

Thanks for your comment Natalie. I haven't watched it yet, so I will make it a priority.

#17 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

I absolutely love the intertitles at the beginning of Orphans of the Storm. They talk about how some people were "otherwise moral men" except that they saw evil in anything that did not think the way that they did. There were many other wise sayings all throughout that film, its a very interesting movie. The sets are beautiful, and the camera movement and angles are captivating. I saw that one on your list, and it reminded me of how much I liked it.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Thought I'd provide a list of what I've found:

BIRTH OF A NATION

BLANCANIEVES

BROKEN BLOSSOMS

COLLEGE

THE COMING OF AMOS

HEARTS OF THE WORLD

INTOLERANCE

THE KID

NOMADS OF THE NORTH

THE PATCHWORK GIRL OF OZ

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA
STEAMBOAT BILL JR.

TRUE HEART SUSIE

WAY DOWN EAST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users