We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Jane Wyman as SOTM January 2017

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

• TopBilled likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:36 AM

Jane Wyman

Stardust: TCM’s January Star of the Month

By The Editors/Celluloid Club...

• TopBilled likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

The tribute to Debbie is well deserved of course and I was sure it would take place before 31 Days of Oscar began but I'm surprised they cut into another feature like Star of the Month instead of a regular day. I can see them choosing a weekend day, or one that runs into it but Saturday or Sunday would have worked just as well.

Be that as it may hope they run the Wyman pics that were scrapped. A couple, The Body Disappears and You're in the Army Now I was particularly looking forward to since they would have been new to me and they don't seem to be shown often on the channel.

Welcome to the message boards, joel. YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW will return to the schedule when they are running tributes for Phil Silvers or Jimmy Durante. Also, it fits in with their military satire themes. So I'm sure we'll see it on the air later in 2017.

I can't remember the last time THE BODY DISAPPEARS was broadcast. It definitely doesn't turn up very often.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 joel6

joel6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

I've edited my earlier post, since it looks like the films that were scheduled to air on the 27th have been canceled due to the Debbie Reynolds Memorial Tribute.

This means the retrospective is now comprised of 39 films, instead of 45 films as originally announced.

The tribute to Debbie is well deserved of course and I was sure it would take place before 31 Days of Oscar began but I'm surprised they cut into another feature like Star of the Month instead of a regular day. I can see them choosing a weekend day, or one that runs into it but Saturday or Sunday would have worked just as well.

Be that as it may hope they run the Wyman pics that were scrapped. A couple, The Body Disappears and You're in the Army Now I was particularly looking forward to since they would have been new to me and they don't seem to be shown often on the channel.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

I've edited my earlier post, since it looks like the films that were scheduled to air on the 27th have been canceled due to the Debbie Reynolds Memorial Tribute.

This means the retrospective is now comprised of 39 films, instead of 45 films as originally announced.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Robert Osborne on Jane Wyman, originally published in the January 2017 edition of Now Playing​:

http://www.tcm.com/t...Jane-Wyman.html

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-24%2Bat%2B7.31.1

39 films

public wedding (1937)..william hopper

torchy plays with dynamite (1939)..allen jenkins

*brother rat (1939)..wayne morris

*brother rat and a baby (1940)..wayne morris

*an angel from texas (1940)..eddie albert

*tugboat annie sails again (1940)..alan hale

gambling on the high seas (1940)..wayne morris

he couldn't say no (1938)..frank mchugh

private detective (1939)..dick foran

kid nightingale (1939)..john payne

*the crowd roars (1938)..robert taylor

the kid from kokomo (1939)..pat o'brien

*ready, willing and able (1937)..lee dixon

johnny belinda (1948)..lew ayres

the yearling (1946)..gregory peck

the lost weekend (1945)..ray milland

the story of will rogers (1952)..will rogers jr.

stage fright (1950)..michael wilding

crime by night (1944)..jerome cowan

*my favorite spy (1942)..kay kyser

the lady takes a sailor (1949)..dennis morgan

*flight angels (1940)..dennis morgan

bad man of missouri (1941)..dennis morgan

wyoming kid (1947)..dennis morgan

here comes the groom (1951)..bing crosby

magic town (1947)..james stewart

larceny, inc. (1942)..edward g. robinson

three guys named mike (1951)..van johnson

*the doughgirls (1944)..jack carson

make your own bed (1944)..jack carson

*princess o'rourke (1944)..robert cummings

*one more tomorrow (1946)..dennis morgan

*honeymoon for three (1941)..george brent

*the king and the chorus girl (1937)..fernand gravet

magnificent obsession (1954)..rock hudson

all that heaven allows (1955)..rock hudson

lucy gallant (1955)..charlton heston

miracle in the rain (1956)..van johnson

so big (1953)..sterling hayden

*secondary role

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

The schedule information is now available. I was certainly expecting Jane to be honored. And she is..!

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-24%2Bat%2B1.46.0

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

My guess is that the next time a star of those decades is selected as a Star of the Month it's going to be Faye Dunaway or Jane Fonda or Diane Keaton or Mia Farrow.

They'd pick Jane Fonda first because of her ties to golden age Hollywood. And the fact she was married to Ted Turner. She has the pedigree the other ladies lack.

#10 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

I guess it's a possibility. But after Redford and Hackman, would they pick another star so soon that is associated with the 70s & 80s..? And all men? Wouldn't they want to honor one of the women instead?

Exactly. I think the chances of another male star of the '60s, '70s and '80s being selected so soon after Redford and Hackman are pretty slim.

My guess is that the next time a star of those decades is selected as a Star of the Month it's going to be Faye Dunaway or Jane Fonda or Diane Keaton or Mia Farrow.

Having said that, I'm virtually certain that Warren Beatty's REDS will crop up again on TCM during 31 Days of Oscar. It last aired in September for TCM's Gene Hackman festival, which I found odd since Hackman is only in two or three scenes in the film. The programmers are definitely going to use it again during Oscar month, especially since there is renewed interest Beatty with the forthcoming release of his new film, RULES DON'T APPLY.

• jamesjazzguitar and TopBilled like this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

A lady on a tcm fan group on facebook guessed it might be Warren Beatty for January. That got me thinking it might be just based on the movies he was in during Hackman's Spotlight like Lilith and Reds. Of course he is in Splendor in the grass during Natalie Wood's Spotlight, he could be on other movies of hers but I'm not familiar with her movies.

I guess it's a possibility. But after Redford and Hackman, would they pick another star so soon that is associated with the 70s & 80s..? And all men? Wouldn't they want to honor one of the women instead?

#12 CrisR

CrisR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

A lady on a tcm fan group on facebook guessed it might be Warren Beatty for January. That got me thinking it might be just based on the movies he was in during Hackman's Spotlight like Lilith and Reds. Of course he is in Splendor in the grass during Natalie Wood's Spotlight, he could be on other movies of hers but I'm not familiar with her movies.

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Jane was SOTM back in 2000 so maybe she is due another one.

This coming January marks her 100th birthday. They did skip Kirk Douglas in December (who is still living). But there has never been a year since I began watching TCM in 2008 where Jane did not get a birthday tribute.

If they do honor her as Star of the Month in January, there's a wonderful tribute I found online from one of her former costars that I may post here.

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

We're still waiting for the January schedule information. I had a dream two nights ago that Jane Wyman was Star of the Month.

Of course I could be wrong...and yes, I do dream about TCM. LOL

Jane was STOM back in 2000 so maybe she is due another one.

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

We're still waiting for the January schedule information. I had a dream two nights ago that Jane Wyman was Star of the Month.

Of course I could be wrong...and yes, I do dream about TCM. LOL

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

We just got December's schedule 11 days ago. Do they release them that close to each other?

Well the December information was "late." Usually the new schedules are released during the second week of the month. It's been as early as the 9th. So I am being optimistic we will learn about January soon.

• LawrenceA likes this

#17 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm hoping we get the January schedule information this week...

We just got December's schedule 11 days ago. Do they release them that close to each other?

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

I'm hoping we get the January schedule information this week...

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

Jane Wyman is a very likely candidate. TCM could show her Turner library films like JOHNNY BELINDA and THE YEARLING, and might even throw in some classics from Universal like THE LOST WEEKEND and MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION ('54).

And TCM has been known to show Disney's POLLYANNA. That would be another good one. 

#20 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

Jane Wyman is a very likely candidate. TCM could show her Turner library films like JOHNNY BELINDA and THE YEARLING, and might even throw in some classics from Universal like THE LOST WEEKEND and MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION ('54).

Of course, the other way you can argue it is that Wyman isn't a likely choice precisely because of how many Oscar-winning or nominated films she appeared in throughout her career. The programmers might feel that honoring her the month before 31 Days of Oscar might be a bit of overkill, considering how many titles in Wyman's filmography would likely repeat in February.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users