We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

From the Last 25 Years

• Please log in to reply
1452 replies to this topic

#1441 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Since you mentioned 1993, one of my top ten films of all time was made that year: Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence. As close to perfect as a movie gets, IMHO.

age-of-innocence-1993-pic-7.jpg

• lavenderblue19 and LawrenceA like this

#1442 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Cooperstown - Cable TV drama about a baseball talent scout (Alan Arkin) dealing with the ghosts of his past as a big league pitcher. Also starring Ed Begley Jr, Hope Lange, Graham Greene, Josh Charles, Gailard Sartain, Charles Haid, Maria Pitillo, Ann Wedgeworth, and Paul Dooley. I recorded this off of TCM during a spotlight on Arkin's work. This originally premiered on TNT.

o_tntmov920126.jpg

#1443 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Contamination .7 - Awkwardly titled horror flick about a small town that's attacked by the roots of a mutated radioactive tree. Also released as The Crawlers. Italian-made, but in English with American actors.

cont.jpg

Update: This one was astonishingly bad. Highly recommended. 

• film lover 293 likes this

#1444 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Coneheads - Belated feature version of the 70's era Saturday Night Live sketches about aliens living in suburban America. Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin return to play husabdn and wife aliens Beldar and Primat, while Michelle Burke takes over the role of their teenage daughter. Also featuring Laraine Newman, Michael McKean, Chris Farley, David Spade, Sinbad, Phil Hartman, Michael Richards, Eddie Griffin, Adam Sandler, Jason Alexander, Dave Thomas, Garrett Morris, Drew Carey, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Parker Posey, Joey Lauren Adams, Julia Sweeney, Jon Lovitz, Tom Arnold, Tim Meadows, and Ellen DeGeneres.

060514.jpg

#1445 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

CB4: The Movie  - Chris Rock stars in this rap music satire. Also with Allen Hughes, Chris Elliott, Phil Hartman, Charlie Murphy, Khandi Alexander, Theresa Randle, Rachel True, and Isaac Hayes.

cb4.jpg

#1446 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

Body Snatchers - Third film version of the Jack Finney novel about alien pod-people taking the place of humans in a quest for Earthly domination. Starring Gabrielle Anwar, Forest Whitaker, Terry Kinney, Meg Tilly, Billy Wirth, and R. Lee Ermey. There's 5 credited writers, including Larry (It's Alive) Cohen and Stuart (Re-Animator) Gordon, and Abel Ferrera, know primarily for gritty low-budget New York crime dramas at the time, seems an odd choice for director.  I've seen this once, but I don't recall anything about it.

202e9480c8700cc777324feb0428815d.jpg

#1447 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Body Bags - Horror anthology from producer-director John Carpenter. He also appears onscreen as the host, a cadaverous morgue attendant that cracks bad jokes like TV's The Cryptkeeper. Carpenter directs 2 of the three stories, and Tobe Hooper directs the last. The cast includes Robert Carradine, Stacy Keach, Mark Hamill, David Naughton, David Warner, Sheena Easton, Debbie Harry, Kim Alexis, Twiggy, John Agar, Charles Napier, and several horror directors, including Sam Raimi, Wes Craven, and Roger Corman. Originally premiered on Showtime.

BB11.jpg

#1448 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

Bloodstone: Subspecies II - Cinema's silliest scary vampire Radu returns for more low budget thrills in this sequel from Full Moon Pictures. Anders Hove stars again as an evil Romanian vampire with a drooling problem. This time he's obsessed with harnessing the power of the Bloodstone, a powerful artifact that will allow him to do...stuff. Also with Denice Duff, Kevin Spirtas, Melanie Shatner, and Ion Haiduc as Lt. Marin.

Radu.jpg

#1449 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

I recommend for other early 1990s movies:
La Femme Nikita (1990)

I'm glad to see someone else likes this one. I think it's very stylish, and helped kickstart the trend towards stronger women in action roles. A lot of it has become cliched by now, with remakes, multiple TV show versions, and other films and shows lifting and repeating elements that were unique at the time. I also think Anne Parillaud is very good in the lead. Jeanne Moreau, Tcheky Karyo, Jean-Hugues Anglade, and the dependable Jean Reno are all also good.

• LiamCasey likes this

#1450 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

I recommend for early 1990s animation:

Only Yesterday (1991)
My Neighbor Totoro (1993)
Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Whisper of the Heart  (1995)

I recommend for other early 1990s movies:
La Femme Nikita (1990)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (1990)
The Double Life of Veronique (1991)

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Warning: I can be very condescending. (That means I talk down to people.)

#1451 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

Blood In, Blood Out: Bound By Honor - A look at Mexican street gangs in L.A. from director Taylor Hackford. I thought there was a typo, but this actually is over 3 hours long. Featuring Damian Chapa, Benjamin Bratt, Jesse Borrego, Delroy Lindo, Tom Towles, Raymond Cruz, Danny Trejo, Billy Bob Thornton, Thomas F. Wilson, Richard Masur, and Ving Rhames.

875fc92c199c693651967d62ef3c43c7.jpg

#1452 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

Starting my 1993 stack with an animated movie:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Feature-film version of the popular Batman afternoon cartoon series of the early 90's. Featuring the voicework of Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Dana Delany, Hart Bochner, Stacy Keach, Abe Vigoda, Efrem Zimbalist Jr, John P. Ryan, and Dick Miller.

Untitled-18.jpg

#1453 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'm starting this thread to discuss films, TV, music, whatever, released in the past 25~ years. Really anything since 1990 is fair game. A lot of people dislike discussing newer films or whatnot, so I thought I would create a thread just for those items, therefore anyone with temporal sensibilities could avoid it if it upsets them. I'm about to start my stack of 1993 movies, and they just get newer after that, so I wanted to make a place to mention these films that wouldn't intrude on the classic film discussions elsewhere.

I also don't think these films (etc.) are out of bounds on a TCM board, since TCM has shown films from as recently as 2011 (The Artist). And as I mentioned above, I encourage people to talk about television, music, or any other cultural event from the past 25~ years.

:D

• laffite, TopBilled, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users