We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Problems with Canvas Dashboard?

Canvas slapstick Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 zaca52

zaca52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

wow  i logged on   canvas  said it  lost my results of  third  quiz  that  i has supposedly  spend  over  110000  minutes  doing.   what  gives???

Terry Sherwood

STARDUST AND SHADOWS  CLASSIC FILM BLOG

https://glitterbest52.wordpress.com/

STARDUST AND SHADOWS FACEBOOK

https://www.facebook...dustandshadows/

#2 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

I couldn't find the final exam for the Painfully Funny course at Canvas this afternoon. When I click on the link at the end of Module 6.1, it takes me to the User Experience Survey, not the final exam. Is anyone else having this problem? If it isn't a problem, when will the final exam be available? I didn't see any updates to Canvas about the exam's availability. Thanks!

Hi Marianne, it is fixed now - the final exam is up. Thanks for letting me know. Best, Rich

• Marianne likes this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

#3 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

I couldn't find the final exam for the Painfully Funny course at Canvas this afternoon. When I click on the link at the end of Module 6.1, it takes me to the User Experience Survey, not the final exam. Is anyone else having this problem? If it isn't a problem, when will the final exam be available? I didn't see any updates to Canvas about the exam's availability. Thanks!

#4 Kinokima

Kinokima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for these comments. I had the video editor re-do the audio on the Wes Gehring - please listen to them again - I just posted new versions of those videos late on Wednesday afternoon - the sound levels are much, much improved and you can hear him speak clearly now.

Best, Dr. E.

Apologies that this reply is very late as I am just seeing this. This is a delayed thanks as I definitely noticed as vast improvement in the audio quality.
  • Dr. Rich Edwards likes this

#5 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

In my email inbox  on Canvas it says on the left of the screen I have a message. I go to the email folder and nothing comes up in inbox or unread or anything. Anyone know how to see email messages on Canvas?

Hi SKS, the only messages I am aware of are in the "Inbox" which is one of the link choices in the student menu. If you are not seeing a message in there, then I am not sure what is happening. You can always submit a help ticket to Canvas and they might be able to troubleshoot what happened.

Hope this helps, 

Rich Edwards

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

#6 SKS

SKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

In my email inbox  on Canvas it says on the left of the screen I have a message. I go to the email folder and nothing comes up in inbox or unread or anything. Anyone know how to see email messages on Canvas?

#7 ScottZepher

ScottZepher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hello 1924sherlockjr

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

I hope this helps!

Just saw this--apologies for the duplicated request elsewhere

#8 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

Trying to listen to the Wes Gehring interviews can barely hear a single word with the volume completely up.

Adding captions would help a lot!

Thanks for these comments. I had the video editor re-do the audio on the Wes Gehring - please listen to them again - I just posted new versions of those videos late on Wednesday afternoon - the sound levels are much, much improved and you can hear him speak clearly now. 

Best, Dr. E.

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#9 Kinokima

Kinokima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

Trying to listen to the Wes Gehring interviews can barely hear a single word with the volume completely up.

Adding captions would help a lot!
  • Kinokima likes this

#10 MyMoll

MyMoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

I have this problem, as well.

Laurie

I m having the same problem too. Reporting because I want to continue with the course

I'm NOT blogging #NoirSummer because it's over,
But I'm still blogging classic movies and Noir because
JOY LOVES OLD MOVIES
Follow me @ 
http://joysnoir.weebly.com

6751415_orig.jpg

#11 Laurie56

Laurie56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Good evening.
I took the first quiz without incident and was scored immediately.

The next time I logged on, my Dashboard says I have no enrollments.

I am able to hop to any of the other pages via the history on my pc and they're fine.  It does show the current time as well as my quiz score from earlier, so I guess I'm not too concerned... as long as I'm still enrolled, which I guess I am as is does offer the "drop this course" option. lol

Just letting you know about the odd wrinkle.

Thanks so much.

Have a great, safe weekend!

Lisa  aka Drosera

I have this problem, as well.

Laurie

#12 Drosera

Drosera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

Good evening.
I took the first quiz without incident and was scored immediately.

The next time I logged on, my Dashboard says I have no enrollments.

I am able to hop to any of the other pages via the history on my pc and they're fine.  It does show the current time as well as my quiz score from earlier, so I guess I'm not too concerned... as long as I'm still enrolled, which I guess I am as is does offer the "drop this course" option. lol

Just letting you know about the odd wrinkle.

Thanks so much.

Have a great, safe weekend!

Lisa  aka Drosera

#13 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Has anyone else run into a problem playing ANY video programming from the TCM website? I've tried disabling my adblocker and tried three different browsers. I've contacted TCM about it, but I don't expect I'll hear from them soon. If anyone has any knowledge on this problem I would appreciate some input. Thank you! In the meantime there will be Daily Doses for me.  :(

Hi Bandwife: I am happy to try to troubleshoot. Another student had a similar problem, and it turned out to be the ad blocking software. But if it is not that, it might be the need for an updated Flash plug-in. If it is neither of those things, can you send me a screenshot of what is happening on your screen so that I can send that to TCM for further troubleshooting.

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#14 cteddiesgirl

cteddiesgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

I haven't seen Day Two's assignment yet either, but it's probably because Dr. Richard Edwards hasn't posted it yet. It's 3:11 p.m., my time, so there's nine hours left. And if Dr. Edwards is not on the eastern coast of the United States (and he's likely not if he's in Indiana), then he has even more time!

Actually, most of Indiana, including Muncie where Ball State is located, is on Eastern time.  There is only a couple of parts in the western part of the state that is in Central time.

#15 Bandwife

Bandwife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Has anyone else run into a problem playing ANY video programming from the TCM website? I've tried disabling my adblocker and tried three different browsers. I've contacted TCM about it, but I don't expect I'll hear from them soon. If anyone has any knowledge on this problem I would appreciate some input. Thank you! In the meantime there will be Daily Doses for me.  :(

Yes, it is now up at the Canvas course - enrolled students can access the clip through this page: https://learn.canvas...y-dose-of-doozy

#16 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

I have taken the Welcome Survey and I believe I have submitted it correctly, but the Canvas Dashboard doesn't show that I have submitted it. Is this because the Welcome Survey is not a requirement of the Slapstick course itself?

This is a minor point compared to other complaints by other course takers, but I am wondering if this will affect the way my quizzes and the final exam are submitted through Canvas.

#17 zaca52

zaca52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hello

The Vimo produced lecture clips dont have sound when I play them back even when  downloaded and using another player. I am  using the cursed chrome browser which has been updated.  I  understand its  silent film comedy at the begining perhaps not for the lectures. Nice  touch would be  title  cards.

Anyone else have  the  silent  scream troubles that I  do?????

(DISREGARD THIS POST. I HAVE REPAIRED THE  TROUBLES.  THE  GOOGE  TEMPERMENTAL  AUDIO PLUG IN STRIKES  AGAIN)

Terry Sherwood

STARDUST AND SHADOWS  CLASSIC FILM BLOG

https://glitterbest52.wordpress.com/

STARDUST AND SHADOWS FACEBOOK

https://www.facebook...dustandshadows/

#18 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

I cannot get the 

Golden Age Of Comedy, The (1957) -- (Movie Clip) The Laugh Factory

clip to work for the Daily Dose 1 that I received through my email.  Is there another place in the class pages that I can go to watch it?  Thank you.

Yes, it is now up at the Canvas course - enrolled students can access the clip through this page: https://learn.canvas...y-dose-of-doozy

Also, on the front page of Canvas, the fifth button down the list, Daily Dose of Doozy (the light teal button) gets you there too!

• 1924sherlockjr likes this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#19 1924sherlockjr

1924sherlockjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

I cannot get the 

Golden Age Of Comedy, The (1957) -- (Movie Clip) The Laugh Factory

clip to work for the Daily Dose 1 that I received through my email.  Is there another place in the class pages that I can go to watch it?  Thank you.

#20 Dee Major

Dee Major

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

Hello 1924sherlockjr

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

I hope this helps!

I just used:

http://tinypic.com/

and once it is uploaded, use the last option: "direct link for layouts"

Thanks!

• SpellboundBy and 1924sherlockjr like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canvas, slapstick, Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users