We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Problems with Canvas Dashboard?

Canvas slapstick Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

I cannot seem to get a photo posted on the message board.  I don't see many with a photo so I was wondering if that function is working yet?

Hello 1924sherlockjr

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

I hope this helps!

• Dr. Rich Edwards and 1924sherlockjr like this

#22 1924sherlockjr

1924sherlockjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

I cannot seem to get a photo posted on the message board.  I don't see many with a photo so I was wondering if that function is working yet?

#23 karenod1

karenod1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLaurence Harbor, NJ

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

I filled out the surveys but it keeps asking me to fill out the survey. I even got an email today to fill out the survey. Is there any way I can make sure it has been saved? Also, someone mentioned assignments. I haven't seen an assignment board yet for the course. And haven't noticed any assignments for the first two sessions. Am I correct that there are no assignments yet? Thanks for you help. I also took the Noir class last year and loved it!

#24 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hi Everyone: Thanks for your patience. I have been working through a few issues behind the scenes, but that is why I like to ease into these kinds of online courses. But I think everything is now resolved.

The syllabus link is now working - so check out the syllabus!

Week 1 Part Two is now live

Video Lecture #1 will be up around 9am Eastern time on Wednesday! 

If something still isn't working, then let me know! 

We will get it fixed! You have a superb team working behind the scenes to make this wonderful course go!

Best, Dr. Rich Edwards

• Marianne, Need Noire and VivianKeyser50 like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

#25 Lanette

Lanette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

Part 2 just showed up. Hope I am doing this class right. First time and not sure how to check progress or if there is anything to even check yet. Any information would be great, thanks everyone.

#26 Janeko

Janeko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

I never got the second part of the course intro either.  I guess it's a kink they have to work out.  And they will.  There were some issues last year when I was taking the Film Noir course and I was always amazed at how quickly they seemed to solve the problem. :)

• VivianKeyser50 likes this

#27 Fiks

Fiks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

I can't seem to find today's assignment (day 2).  It's 4:45 p.m. eastern time and I'm wondering where it might be!

• VivianKeyser50 likes this

#28 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

I am having problems finding Day Two of the course.  There is no indication of how to access it.

I haven't seen Day Two's assignment yet either, but it's probably because Dr. Richard Edwards hasn't posted it yet. It's 3:11 p.m., my time, so there's nine hours left. And if Dr. Edwards is not on the eastern coast of the United States (and he's likely not if he's in Indiana), then he has even more time!

• Drosera likes this

#29 piperhaven

piperhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

I just checked my dashboard on Canvas, and the course for Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies has been removed from my student dashboard. Until today, the course was listed under "In Progress."

Why was it deleted? This isn't already a problem before the course starts, I hope.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am having problems finding Day Two of the course.  There is no indication of how to access it.

#30 piperhaven

piperhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Sorry for the confusion. That email was sent in error!

The course starts tomorrow, Sunday. 

#SlapstickFall will be live in just a few hours!

Thanks everyone for joining, and I can't wait for the conversations to begin!

Best, Rich Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies

I am unable to access Day 2 Monday 29th of Painfully Funny.  Can you help me please?

#31 Need Noire

Need Noire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

Yes, this course will be available through the Canvas iOS app - the trick is when it asks for school district, the first choice is "Canvas Network" - once you select Canvas Network, then you will see Painfully Funny in your course list if you have enrolled. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more assistance!

I had it selected but it only showed "into the darkness" course. I found the slapstick course under "settings" but listed as hidden for the courses. A click on the course made it show. I hope this helps others. Thanks for the quick reply professor.

#32 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

The Canvas forgot me and I had to revalidate my email and password. :(

Hopefully it has all been sorted out. Opening a course with thousands of students enrolled is always a challenge! But we are here to help. Just keep posting and we will resolve problems as soon as we hear about them.

• Drosera and Marianne like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

#33 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

I can not access the course from the Canvas IOS app, only through a browser . Will this course be available on the app, or only through a web browser?

Yes, this course will be available through the Canvas iOS app - the trick is when it asks for school district, the first choice is "Canvas Network" - once you select Canvas Network, then you will see Painfully Funny in your course list if you have enrolled. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more assistance!

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#34 Casa Bouquet

Casa Bouquet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

The Canvas forgot me and I had to revalidate my email and password. :(

• piperhaven likes this

#35 Need Noire

Need Noire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

I can not access the course from the Canvas IOS app, only through a browser . Will this course be available on the app, or only through a web browser?
  • piperhaven likes this

#36 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

Sorry for the confusion. That email was sent in error!

The course starts tomorrow, Sunday. 

#SlapstickFall will be live in just a few hours!

Thanks everyone for joining, and I can't wait for the conversations to begin!

Best, Rich Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies

• Marianne and piperhaven like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

#37 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Same here. This morning I received an email that the course starts today. I thought it didn't start until tomorrow (the 28th), so I went to check it out. It's no longer listed on my dashboard, but if I visit the course page while logged in, it does say "you are enrolled."

Yup, that's what happened earlier today, and I checked once again and that's what is still happening.

But it does say at Canvas that the course still starts tomorrow (August 28). I hope it does and I hope I'm still enrolled.

• piperhaven likes this

#38 nicoley13

nicoley13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Same here. This morning I received an email that the course starts today. I thought it didn't start until tomorrow (the 28th), so I went to check it out. It's no longer listed on my dashboard, but if I visit the course page while logged in, it does say "you are enrolled."

• piperhaven likes this

#39 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

I just checked my dashboard on Canvas, and the course for Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies has been removed from my student dashboard. Until today, the course was listed under "In Progress."

Why was it deleted? This isn't already a problem before the course starts, I hope.

Anyone else having this problem?

• piperhaven likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canvas, slapstick, Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users