We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
1517 replies to this topic

#21 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

Best Buy is having a good Criterion Blu-ray sale:

http://www.bestbuy.c...eAll=&gf=y&cp=1

A few of the titles are also popping up on Amazon.

#22 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

If you have been wanting to get the Blu-ray 8-disc Universal Monsters Collection, the UK has a region-free set that is at an absolutely incredible low price of approx. $24.88 with shipping costs included.

http://www.amazon.co...ag=bluraycom-21

#23 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

filmlover, Family Video is cheaper @ $16.99 each for the Kino's. Only $1.99 postage for any order.

#24 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Amazon has a sale on a number of the upcoming Kino Blu-ray releases at $17.49 each:

On the Beach

Mr. Majestyck

Juggernaut

The Party

What's New, Pussycat?

The Unforgiven

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

The Children's Hour

Breakheart Pass

Elmer Gantry

Run Silent, Run Deep

Meteor

Avalanche

Across 100th Street

Cotton Comes To Harlem

The Great Train Robbery

The Young Savages

Cast A Giant Shadow

Taras Bulba

#25 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Thanx for the info.

#26 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'd pay no attention to what B&N lists.  Places like that make tons of errors when it comes to things like aspect ration.

Here's part of the review from blu-ray.com that talks about the video:

"Presented in an aspect ratio of 1.67:1...

The Blu-ray release represents a massive upgrade in quality over the old R1 non-anamorphic DVD release which MGM produced many years ago. The film has the intended by director Molinaro soft and warm look with a wide range of natural colors. The footage from inside the club, in particular, is quite subdued. Image depth and clarity, however, are consistently pleasing. Contrast levels are also stable. Sharpness does fluctuate, but the fluctuations are directly linked to the original photography (compare screencaptures #3 and 5). There are no traces of problematic filtering corrections. Compromising sharpening adjustments have not been performed either. Predictably, from start to finish the film has a solid organic look. Lastly, it is obvious that debris, scratches, cuts, and damage marks have been removed as best as possible. All in all, excluding a few scattered light compression artifacts, this is indeed a fabulous presentation of La Cage aux Folles which is guaranteed to please fans of the film."

#27 EdgeCliffe

EdgeCliffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

filmlover, for some reason B/N is listing LAGE CAGE AU FOLLES BD as pan and scan. Could this be possible? Its doubtful if Criterion would release such a version. fOX yes Criterion no.

#28 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I was tempted to put this in the Upcoming release section because it is supposed to come out in September...but Costco has them now and at much less than what the listed price is supposed to be. 

It's the Jeremy Brett version of the TV series Sherlock Holmes, and these are new to Blu-ray.

There will be 5 different volumes, and Costco has 4 of them at $22.99 each.  The list price is supposed to be about $50, so that is a bargain!!

(if you don't see them on the shelf, ask a supervisor to look up item 898780; it will be listed as the Jeremy Brett collection and that number covers all 4 titles)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - 13 episodes

The Return of Sherlock Holmes - 11 episodes

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes - 6 episodes

The Feature Film Collection - contains The Sign of Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Master Blackmailer, The Last Vampyre, and The Eligible Bachelor. (these were actually lengthier episodes)

#29 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

I think you mean THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, the original version with Peter Lorre. 

The Criterion deal at Costco is great -- I've picked up a few that I didn't already have.  And I'll definitely be taking advantage of the B&N sale, which I look forward to twice a year.

Oops...you are right.  I bow my head in shame!!!!

#30 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

...By the way, speaking of Criterions, Costco has a few of the Blurays at $19.99 each.  (NOTE: Not all locations have these, and some have only a few titles)

...Man With No Name (Lorre)...

I think you mean THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, the original version with Peter Lorre. 

The Criterion deal at Costco is great -- I've picked up a few that I didn't already have.  And I'll definitely be taking advantage of the B&N sale, which I look forward to twice a year.

#31 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Barnes and Noble has their twice-yearly 50% sale on Criterion DVDs and Blu-rays starting this coming Tuesday, July 1st, and it will run until July 28th.

By the way, speaking of Criterions, Costco has a few of the Blurays at $19.99 each.  (NOTE: Not all locations have these, and some have only a few titles)

The 39 Steps

Foreign Correspondent

It's a Mad, Mad etc. World

Rushmore

Royal Tenenbaums

Life Aquatic

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Bottle Rocket

Man With No Name (Lorre)

The Great Dictator

On The Waterfront

Charade

Seven Samurai

#32 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:29 AM

A 9-movie Marilyn Monroe group on Blu-ray is on special on Amazon for $38.99.  This is likely a deal of the day only.

(Each film has its own case)

Films are:

Bus Stop
Niagara
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How to Marry a Millionaire
River of No Return
There's No Business Like Show Business
The Seven Year Itch
Some Like it Hot
The Misfits

http://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#33 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Just a note: Twilight Time's Blu-ray release of Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines has now sold out entirely.  (They only print 3,000 copies of their titles.)

#34 NoraCharles1934

NoraCharles1934

NoraCharles1934

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Today only at FoxConnect, the coupon code GRAPES will get you that giant 24 film-John Ford box set from a few years ago for $49.99:

http://www.foxconnec...t_20140501_ford

The following disclaimer on the site made me laugh - 

"Note: This box set weighs more than 13 lbs and will be shipped in a fairly large box that could double as a second home! It will also take a little bit of extra time to get these huge sets packed up, so please be patient. There will be no shipping to P.O. BOXES and no expedited shipping on this item. Thanks!"

5336056693925.preview-300.jpg

"Waiter, will you serve the nuts?  I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?"

#35 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Some third party sellers on Amazon (and good for shipping through Amazon's free shipping over $35 or free shipping with Prime) have some good prices on Olive Film Blu-rays (Note:  these prices fluctuate up and down):

Johnny Guitar $11.68

High Noon $12.85

OR.....you could go this route....

Best Buy has a sale on Criterions and Olive Flims Blu-rays, and some other companies' classic films on Blu:

http://www.bestbuy.c...BPYpyNFcOT5M7sw

Among them:

Criterion $19.99 each:

The Red Shoes
Thin Red Line
Antichrist
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Dazed & Confused
Godzilla
Rushmore
The Game
Royal Tenenbaums
Rosemary's Baby
The Blob
Badlands
Repo Man
Devil's Backbone
Frances Ha

Lord of the Flies $22.99
Nashville $22.99
Babette's Feast $22.99

The Uninvited $16.99 (only 47% off)

Olive Films $12.99 each:

Bound
Johnny Guitar
Rio Grande
The Quiet Man
Betty Boop Vol. 1 & 2
The Big Combo
Ticks
Thinner
McLintock!
The Fighting Seabees
That Touch of Mink
Father Goose

#36 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Filmlover, I ordered 3 titles from FOX: DESK SET. INN OF SIXTH HAPPINESS and AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Had not expected to buy the latter two but could not resist due to the great price. Also, pre ordered the R&H set. I already sold off two of the R&H dvd's. Will hold onto STATE FAIR.

#37 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

Today only (3/27), Foxconnect.com has another 50% off sale! This time the codeword is THRIFTY. (Remember, though, do not let you pre-discount amount go over $100 or it won't allow the code at all.)

#38 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Foxconnect.com has a 50% off sale on movies for today (3/20) only. There are hundreds of titles (not every Fox film) but there is a banner on the front page that should take you to them.

You need to use code "FILMFAN" in your cart.

NOTE: If you try ordering over $100 (pre-discount), it will say the code is invalid. So make sure you stay under $100. I discovered that you can do two orders before it says that discount code has reached its limit (I placed two and got cut off for a third,)

Ordered the following Blu-rays:

Kazan at Fox vols. 1 and 2
Norma Rae
The Three Faces of Eve
The Agony and the Ecstacy
Cleopatra with book
In Old Arizona
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness

Total with tax: $101.10

Terrific deal!!!

#39 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

In my opinion many of these FOX films are just not very good and at $19.95 its still something to think about. In the past I purchased LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING and the print was beautiful but read reviews on others like SONG OF BERNADETTE and JANE EYRE and quality was mixed, I do think these are titles that did not sell well. There are a couple of Columbia titles that I like but @$24.95 I will pass. Just too much coming out and I try to be very selective in my purchases.

#40 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

We know that Twilight Time' releases (only orderable from http://www.screenarchives.com/ ) are expensive, but they are having a sale from March 19th (at 4 pm EST) to the 24th (at 4 pm EST) to celebrate their 3rd anniversary. It will include a discount on 36 Blu-ray titles (below)

They will be $10 off, which brings the $34.95 price to $24.95, and the $29.95 to $19.95....still a lot...but there are titles worth getting. And their print runs are another attractive item (only 3,000 copies are ever made)

RAPTURE (1965)
PICNIC (1955)
ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
PAL JOEY (1957)
DEMETRIUS & THE GLADIATORS (1954)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
DESIREE (1954)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)
COVER GIRL (1944)
HIGH TIME (1960)
STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989)