We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
1517 replies to this topic

#1501 Cinemascope

Cinemascope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

Ditto on Movies Unlimited being almost invariably overpriced.

#1502 edgeciff

edgeciff

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

The collection is good but the prices aren't. Critics Choice and Deep Discount has been offering better prices on these same items. Recently they had tons of Universal titles for $6.29 including THE HEIRESS. Movies Unlimited is over-priced and I usually avoid them. DDD never charges postage!!

#1503 vallo13

vallo13

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

Movies Unlimited Sale "Buy 2 get 1 Free":
http://www.moviesunl..._id=2&n=1&id=R9
Most films are around $14. but a pretty good collection to choose from.

vallo

#1504 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

Re: the Costco Fox sale...

I went into a Costco store today, and I have bad news and good news:

First the bad news, the stock on the Fox special sale seems to be limited to the R&H set, the James Bond Ultimate Edition sets, The Mel Brooks Collection, and the Star Wars Trilogy.

Now for the good news (great, actually):

All of the above have had their price lowered and they are selling at $43.99 each. And then you apply the $10 off discount coupon to as many as you want, and the final price is $33.99 each!!!!!

So let's look at that:

Mel Brooks Collection - street price $99.98; Costco $33.99

Rodgers & Hammerstein - street price $99.98; Costco $33.99

James Bond Ultimate Collection - street price $89.98; Costco $33.99

Star Wars Trilogy - street price $69.98; Costco $33.99

Man, do I love Costco!!!

#1505 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Definitely.

#1506 shearerchic04

shearerchic04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Kinda off topic, but I just won the Classic Musicals Cole Porter Collection on eBay for $3.50. I'll only pay $11 dollars in total. Is that a steal or what?

#1507 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

I think, yes, that Amazon still has their deal on, but you do have to buy all 4 sets of the Ultimate JBs together. You can get the ones at Costco individually.

#1508 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

I am hoping they include the Grable set and Moto and Chan. It's always hard to say. The picture in the coupon book (don't forget yourt coupon!) shows the R&H set, the Mel Brooks collection, a Bond Ultimate set, and the Star Wars Trilogy. Often, though, they will put out others.

I went to the Burbank store on Saturday because usually they have some of these already out, ready to be priced down on Monday, but I didn't see any of the sets. Hope they still have everything in boxes.

By the way, anyone who shops at the Los Feliz store should know that, for some reason, their prices are always a few dollars more than most of the other stores.

#1509 shearerchic04

shearerchic04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

I need to go to Costco then. That means I can get the Betty Grable set for $20.

#1510 Cinemascope

Cinemascope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Isn't Amazon also offering the Ultimate JB sets at around $45, if you buy all 4? Or did that offer expire?

#1511 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Starting on February 26th and running until March 18th, Costco is offering $10 off on some of its Fox boxsets. I was in a Costco recently and saw the Chan and Moto collections for about $30 (the online price is more), so if they include them in the sale that would bring them down to about $20 each, a good affordable price.

The sale looks to include the Ultimate James Bond sets, so the Costco price will probably be about $45 per boxed set. And the Rodgers & Hammersetin set should be about $45 or so.

Costco will also be offering $5 off their Disney animated titles during that same time.

Amazon has a special on the Fox Studio Classics series. 40 movies in the set for $239.99, which amounts to 60% off.

Amazon also has a special on the Fox Film Noir titles, selling 17 in a pack for $134.99, which is 50% off.

#1512 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

I was in Costco this weekend and they have the Hitchcock Signature Collection, the Doris Day Collection, The Tennessee Williams Collection, and The Chaplin Collection vol.1 on sale for $42.99 each. Those are great savings, especially the Hitchcock set (regularly $99.98). They also have the 2-DVD sets of Casablanca, The Philadelphia Story, and My Fair Lady at $8.99 each.

#1513 shearerchic04

shearerchic04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for telling me about this site. I visited them and bought 3 films on sale: Captains Courageous, Kitty Foyle and The Champ.

#1514 thebiach

thebiach

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

hey I don't know why i've never mentioned this before...you guys can go to the website visitborders (dot) com and print out a 30% off coupon...they update the expiration date every two days...no limit on this coupon except one per visit...also you should sign up for their Borders Rewards card...you earn 20-25-30-40 % off coupons once a week in your e-mail and you also get holiday rewards points...I signed up in August and earned almost $19.00...I used a 40% off any boxset coupon they sent me with the holiday rewards and got the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 4 for about $21.00 with tax!!! its a great deal!!!

#1515 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, MissG, anything we can do to get them at the best price possible.

#1516 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

Thank you, filmlover---this thread is a great idea.

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#1517 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

Costco stores continue to have a special sale on the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection at $54 through this Sunday (after then it will rise to the reg Costco low price of $79). Also, until Sunday, they are selling the new James Bond Ultimate Collections volumes 1-4 at about $44 each ($10 less than Costco's reg low price of $54).

#1518 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

I decided to create a new thread that could be devoted to any special sales we might hear about that others might want to take advantage of, without the news interupting other threads such as "Upcoming Releases" (I'm guilty of that) or the individual review threads.

Okay, let's start...

Last night, I was looking at a site called www.oldies.com and see they have a really nice reduced clearance rate on some Warner Bros. released DVDs. The prices on each are $6.98 and include My Fair Lady (the 2-DVD set), Alice Adams, Angels with Dirty Faces, Ben-Hur, Captains Courageous, The Champ, Cimarron (the Richard Dix version), Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (contains both the March and Tracy versions), King Kong, Kitty Foyle, Last Days of Pompeii, Little Caesar, Little Women, Mister Roberts, Petrified Forest, Philadelphia Story, and White Heat, plus more recent films. Free shipping is also available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users