We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

When does FilmStruck launch..?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info, TopBilled.

Certainly later than originally planned.  They were less specific last time I chatted with them.

Hopefully, that means they'll a fairly sophisticated interface.

Some Roku version of apps pale in comparison to their counterparts on other apps.  Netflix gets it right, but something like PS Vue has less bells and whistles with Roku (and a sophomoric looking interface).

At first they were saying early spring, now it looks like late spring. I guess we'll see.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info, TopBilled.

Certainly later than originally planned.  They were less specific last time I chatted with them.

Hopefully, that means they'll a fairly sophisticated interface.

Some Roku version of apps pale in comparison to their counterparts on other apps.  Netflix gets it right, but something like PS Vue has less bells and whistles with Roku (and a sophomoric looking interface).

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

I had a chat with a customer service representative on the FilmStruck website. This is what I was told about when the service will be available for Roku users:

screen-shot-2017-03-13-at-6-37-34-pm.png

• jbderwin likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 DavidST

DavidST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, jbderwin.   You may be correct--a Windows Vista issue.  If so, Hulu and Netflix desktop streaming are not affected.  Actually, I felt some relief to let the hassle go and cancel Filmstruck.   That having been said, I'd still be watching the Criterion films if they were still available on Hulu and I'd be watching them via the smart app on my Blu Ray player.  So, I'll wait and see if the Criterion staff's promise of an app for smart players and tv's sometime in 2017 actually happens.  They did tell me via phone and email that there are problems with the desktop functionality of Filmstruck.  So, clearly I'm not the only one having trouble.  In the next few weeks/months, I'll be purchasing a new computer with Windows 10.  Perhaps that may solve all the desktop player problems or it may introduce new ones. ;-)   Nice of you to take the time to share your thoughts.

D.

• jbderwin likes this

#5 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Sorry to hear about that, too, DavidST.  I rarely use a computer/laptop/tablet for filmstruck for any of the services I subscribe to, but I have not experienced any issues with Firefox using both WIndows 7 and 10.  I also have fast wireless and frequently use an ethernet connection for work reasons, so I have an optimal environment.

I have a feeling there may be issues with Vista.  Granted, this was not a successful operating system.  General support by Microsoft has ended for Vista, and extended supported will conclude in April. 

With that said, the only criteria Filmstruck lists is browser versions and the latest version of Flash.  If you have the correct versions of both, and you cleared your cache, then it should work (or Filmstruck should be able figure it out).  Lack of memory or bandwidth would result in buffering issues, what you're describing is something different (leading back to Vista).  I bet they'll start listing OS requirements in the future.

I'm sure there are hiccups with a newer service that doesn't occur with Netflix and Hulu.  That certainly doesn't make it OK, nor does it help one's frustration.  I certainly would lack patience as well, and I work in technology (and run a number of diagnostics before I go to support).  One reaches a point where it isn't worth the frustration.

I certainly wouldn't buy a device for one supplemental service.  I just happened to use a number of apps, so adding Filmstruck (after having an extended free period due to Beta testing) made the purchase easy for me.

Frankly, I am not sure how sales have been.  I love it, but I wonder if the content is more for a cult following.

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

It is nice that there is a functioning tech support team for FILMSTRUCK/THE CRITERION CHANNEL.  Sadly, they could never get things to work for me.  As someone waiting for the development of a app/icon to work with smart TV's and Blu Ray players, I was encouraged when staff at Criterion said such an app is in the works for some time in 2017.  Meanwhile, I joined after my free trial and found, to my dismay, that sitting at my computer to watch didn't work.  No luck at all.  Movies wouldn't start, an error message kept appearing, and occasionally I'd get a brief start/stop/start/stop of a film's picture and sound.  No luck with my preferred FIREFOX.  Also tried IE and downloaded--at tech support's suggestion--CHROME.  No success on any of these browsers even though HULU and NETFLIX play fine on my Dell with a Comcast cable modem/router, plenty of memory, and Windows Vista.  It seems there are problems with in-browser media players and FILMSTRUCK/THE CRITERION CHANNEL. I cancelled my membership and requested a refund for the month of no success.  I'm unwilling to have to invest in new hardware/software (Apple, Amazon, Roku, etc.) just to receive one channel.  So, I'll be waiting and hoping that someday...

David (Tucson, AZ)

Sorry to hear it didn't pan out, David. A lot of frustrations you seem to have had. Hopefully they'll find a way to improve the way they are offering it. I'm sure you're not the only one with tech-related problems and that's why they have a tech team.

#7 DavidST

DavidST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

It is nice that there is a functioning tech support team for FILMSTRUCK/THE CRITERION CHANNEL.  Sadly, they could never get things to work for me.  As someone waiting for the development of a app/icon to work with smart TV's and Blu Ray players, I was encouraged when staff at Criterion said such an app is in the works for some time in 2017.  Meanwhile, I joined after my free trial and found, to my dismay, that sitting at my computer to watch didn't work.  No luck at all.  Movies wouldn't start, an error message kept appearing, and occasionally I'd get a brief start/stop/start/stop of a film's picture and sound.  No luck with my preferred FIREFOX.  Also tried IE and downloaded--at tech support's suggestion--CHROME.  No success on any of these browsers even though HULU and NETFLIX play fine on my Dell with a Comcast cable modem/router, plenty of memory, and Windows Vista.  It seems there are problems with in-browser media players and FILMSTRUCK/THE CRITERION CHANNEL. I cancelled my membership and requested a refund for the month of no success.  I'm unwilling to have to invest in new hardware/software (Apple, Amazon, Roku, etc.) just to receive one channel.  So, I'll be waiting and hoping that someday...

David (Tucson, AZ)

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Just a quick update.  Using Filmstruck's chat, I tried getting a date for Filmstruck access for Roku devices.  They still are just saying early 2017.   

Thanks jb-- I was wondering about this. I'm a Roku user, so it looks like I need to be a bit more patient. Probably within a month or two.

#9 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Just a quick update.  Using Filmstruck's chat, I tried getting a date for Filmstruck access for Roku devices.  They still are just saying early 2017.  That is the same with Chromecast. 

Their next Targets will be PS4 and XBox One.

I signed up for an annual subscription since it was more cost effective, and I'm enjoying it so far.  I have been using Amazon Fire - it works great on a Fire device that actually uses an Ethernet cable.  I have one Fire Stick which relies on wireless.  I have a pretty fast wireless connection, but the Firestick version I have is a little clunky (there is a current version which is supposedly better).

I mostly use Roku for streaming access since it is very fast, so I am looking forward to seeing how Filmstruck performs on it.

I remain happy with the inventory since I have both Filmstruck and the Criterion channel (I may feel differently if I only had Filmstruck).

Granted - I feel I have watched a ton of films in my 52 years, but I certainly don't compare to some of the film connoisseurs on this site (like TopBilled)!  So, I am pleased to have this quality at my fingertips.

I'll update once Roku and other devices are available.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Since you're using FilmStruck and will continue to do so, please let us know if/when there are service changes. People that consider subscribing will find the information helpful.

I'll keep updating this as FilmStruck keeps evolving.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, TopBilled.

Looking forward to trying to join the discussion on these boards.

Since you're using FilmStruck and will continue to do so, please let us know if/when there are service changes. People that consider subscribing will find the information helpful.

#12 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks, TopBilled.

Looking forward to trying to join the discussion on these boards.

• TopBilled likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to the message boards jbderwin. Glad to have you with us in this on-going discussion!

I agree-- Hulu did not market its Criterion titles too well-- but my theory is Hulu tends to focus on the Universal television catologue it has, plus the ITV (British) network of films and series. So they might have seen Criterion as a way to enhance what they offer, but for it never to be a focal point. 

It's certainly a benefit that FilmStruck is including bonus features, something I don't recall any other streaming service offering before.

• jbderwin likes this

#14 jbderwin

jbderwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

I just registered to this forum after reading this thread.

Like LaurenceA, I was also a beta tester who is enjoying free full access to FilmStruck for the remainder of the year.

i also work in technology, so I know quite a bit about the technical aspects required for the site.

In a nutshell, I'm a movie loving software engineer who does not play "video" games (much to my wife's relief)!

I do plan on joining FilmStruck once my free "beta" gift ends.  Like many, I joined Hulu because I was excited it included the Criterion Collection.  Granted, it wasn't marketed too well, and it didn't include the entire collection.

FilmStruck has more films - the Criterion portion has a huge inventory (in my opinion), while the Filmsruck side is more minimal but includes non-Criterion films.  I plan on purchasing the annual full-access package for $99 - it is a better value than the monthly fee.

What sets FilmStruck apart from Hulu is the format feels like you're actually buying a blu-ray or DVD full of extras.  Both "channels" are also frequently curated by theme or director/star - even including extra material organizing the theme.

The title are exhausted enough for me, and off hand I can mention that I'm currently watching Edward Yang's "A Brighter Summer Day" and I have the Apu trilogy in the watch list - neither of these were available on Hulu.  I have also heard that currently unavailable titles are being "dusted off" for FilmStruck (like the Laser Disc version of "Silence of the Lambs").

in a nutshell...it feels like Hulu was a repository for Criterion films, while Filmstruck is a real partnership between TCM and Criterion.

I do hope more of the TCM library of classic films become available (since the FilmStruck side is supposed to be a mix of Criterion plus films from other partnerships).  Yes - films like Richard III, Stagecoach, and some Michael Powell films are available, but I would love to have the best of John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, and Billy Wilder at my disposal as well!!!!

Anyway - this sounds too much like a sale pitch, so I'll switch to some technical info.

The Smart TV dilemma...some get outdated and only make certain apps available that are popular (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.)  Others have something like Roku or Fire built in - those type of "Smart" televisions will have software updates and the ability to search for downloadable apps.

Televisions integrated with their own proprietary software will probably not include Filmstruck unless it gets "huge."

With that said - if the site is offering realistic target dates, the available devices will keep increasing.  Fire TV was with the launch, their December date for Apple TV was matched, and I hope early 2017 will be matched for Roku and Chromecast.

Yes...to people with smart tv's, I understand the convenience of choosing an app, and the pain of buying a new device.  I also understand the annoyance of just being able to watch on a laptop, tablet, or phone!

My suggestion - try a free trial to check material.  Then, decide if it is worth buying a device.  Apple Fire Sticks and Roku sticks are under $50.  You'll just need an adequate wireless signal.  More "expensive" versions allow for Ethernet connections if you're wired for cat-5/6 wiring.  The device format allows for app selection as well and is very easy to navigate.

It just comes down to what you're comfortable with technologically and financially.

I hope I haven't bored anyone with this wordy "essay!"  Feel free to ask any questions to me as well.

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

I've still put off subscribing or even doing the free trial.  Since I'll have to watch on my computer, it has been easy to delay.  I wish an app to work with most smart televisions and blu ray players would be developed.  Many of us stream Netflix and Hulu with a simple click of an icon.  It is fine that owners of other equipment (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) are or will be served by Filmstruck.  But what about the large number of us who don't want to invest in new equipment or subscribe to something in addition to the cost of Filmstruck?  I suppose when I do join or do a trial, the first thing I'll try is to use my Samsung player browser to try to navigate to the Filmstruck site, enter my username and password, and see if that would allow streaming access without having an official app with Samsung.  I do miss the Criterion Collection I had from Hulu with a simple click of an icon.

David

I guess things change, right David? I stopped subscribing to Hulu last summer. A lot of the British television I watched on Hulu moved over to Amazon and the Criterion films were in the process of leaving. I haven't subscribed to FilmStruck yet because I don't think it's available to Roku users until January. And I use Roku. 

#16 DavidST

DavidST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

I've still put off subscribing or even doing the free trial.  Since I'll have to watch on my computer, it has been easy to delay.  I wish an app to work with most smart televisions and blu ray players would be developed.  Many of us stream Netflix and Hulu with a simple click of an icon.  It is fine that owners of other equipment (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) are or will be served by Filmstruck.  But what about the large number of us who don't want to invest in new equipment or subscribe to something in addition to the cost of Filmstruck?  I suppose when I do join or do a trial, the first thing I'll try is to use my Samsung player browser to try to navigate to the Filmstruck site, enter my username and password, and see if that would allow streaming access without having an official app with Samsung.  I do miss the Criterion Collection I had from Hulu with a simple click of an icon.

David

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

I'd like to know if people are subscribing to FilmStruck, and whether they've been enjoying the first month of service.

#18 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

I will likely use the free trial soon to check out the library.  Have been basking in Japanese films of the 30's through the 50's from Criterion via Hulu.   Almost none of these many wonderful films have every been available on dvd or blu ray from Criterion.  I just ended my Hulu membership with a sharp word to them about how stinking it was for them not to send one word out to subscribers about the Criterion Collection license ending.  Hulu didn't even post a note on their press page about the change.  As to Filmstruck and the Criterion Channel, I'd love to find out if out of print Criterion titles will reappear for streaming...such as THREE SILENT CLASSICS BY JOSEF VON STERNBERG.  Subscribing to Filmstruck will depend on its convenience comparative to Hulu.  I won't string a 50 foot ethernet cable.  I'm not going to get Roku since I already pay for a Comcast box/dvr.  I hope someone at the Criterion Channel will set about creating an app that common brands of smart televisions and blu ray players--mine is a Samsung--can grab and use like the convenient apps for Hulu and Netflix. 

David

The app I've been using through Amazon Fire TV seems like something that would be easily adapted as an app for smart TV's or other devices. I was enjoying using it, but it started acting wonky a couple of days ago, kicking me out mid-movie and saying that my subscription was lapsed, although the site streaming on my laptop worked fine. The tech support, which was live realtime chat, couldn't figure out the problem, although they may have resolved it in the ensuing days. I haven't checked on it again.

#19 DavidST

DavidST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

I will likely use the free trial soon to check out the library.  Have been basking in Japanese films of the 30's through the 50's from Criterion via Hulu.   Almost none of these many wonderful films have every been available on dvd or blu ray from Criterion.  I just ended my Hulu membership with a sharp word to them about how stinking it was for them not to send one word out to subscribers about the Criterion Collection license ending.  Hulu didn't even post a note on their press page about the change.  As to Filmstruck and the Criterion Channel, I'd love to find out if out of print Criterion titles will reappear for streaming...such as THREE SILENT CLASSICS BY JOSEF VON STERNBERG.  Subscribing to Filmstruck will depend on its convenience comparative to Hulu.  I won't string a 50 foot ethernet cable.  I'm not going to get Roku since I already pay for a Comcast box/dvr.  I hope someone at the Criterion Channel will set about creating an app that common brands of smart televisions and blu ray players--mine is a Samsung--can grab and use like the convenient apps for Hulu and Netflix. 

David

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

Going by Spine #'s, Criterion is up to 853 as of Feb next year. However, that doesn't include the many titles released as part of the Eclipse sets, many of which are up on FilmStruck, so the grand total is close to 1000. Plus, there are several films on FilmStruck that have been restored and start with the Criterion logo that have not yet been put out on disc by them.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. I don't remember Hulu ever having more than 500 of them at a time, which is a good total-- just, as the previous poster indicated, not all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users