We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

MATT BOMER CONTROVERSY

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

You should. The performances are terrific. Leto, an actor that I've been aware of since back in his My So-Called Life days, was truly remarkable.

Based on these glowing recommendations, I will have to make a point to check it out.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#42 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

I still haven't seen this movie, Ray. 

You should. The performances are terrific. Leto, an actor that I've been aware of since back in his My So-Called Life days, was truly remarkable.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

Jarrod, talent, true talent, means everything - who could forget Rayon (Jared Leto) in "The Dallas Buyers Club"?

dallas-buyers-club-matthew-mcconaughey-j

I still haven't seen this movie, Ray. 

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#44 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Now there's a cute family!

My wife loves Bomer so she will be disappointed,   but NOT because he is gay,  but because he is taken.    She is always trying to set her brother up.     Sadly the guy doesn't date much because his 'gang' is a bunch of 40+ divorced and bitter single women.    That is so 90s. 

#45 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

Right...he's assuming (mistakenly) that a transgender performer would automatically be better, but in the end it boils down to effective acting techniques. Some transgender performers might be paying their dues the hard way, but does that mean they are actually the best ones to hire? Not exactly.

Part of me, the jaded part, thinks a lot of this is just a trend. In five or ten years, nobody will care much about it. And if Bomer does play this particular role and the project bombs with audiences, it will hardly be remembered. 

Jarrod, talent, true talent, means everything - who could forget Rayon (Jared Leto) in "The Dallas Buyers Club"?

dallas-buyers-club-matthew-mcconaughey-j

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

Nick Adams, who is the director of Glaad's Transcender Media Program, has written a column that argues that "putting a male actor in a dress, wig and makeup is an inaccurate portrayal of a transgender woman."

And he highlights the success of trans gender actress, Laverne Cox, from "Orange Is The New Black".

And he mentions the visibility of trans gender actresses like Candis Cayne.

And he talks about - and names - all of the trans gender actresses who are making names for themselves and waiting for their "big break".

He also calls for the use of trans gender men who are out there in the acting community and waiting for roles that they can inhabit - accurately.

This sort of revolution in casting will take a long time, I think, but it will, eventually, happen, more likely on the TV screen.

Meanwhile, when a trans gender woman is played so brilliantly by Jared Leto in his Oscar-winning performance, who can deny the effectiveness of a gifted male actor in a trans gender role?

Mr. Adams overlooks the fact that talent, true talent, can justify the decision to use a male actor in a transgender role.

I seriously doubt that a trans gender actress could've outdone Jared Leto.   

Right...he's assuming (mistakenly) that a transgender performer would automatically be better, but in the end it boils down to effective acting techniques. Some transgender performers might have already 'paid their dues' in Hollywood, and that's great, but does it mean they are actually the best ones to hire? Not exactly.

Part of me, the jaded part, thinks this is just a trend of trying to increase visibility for transgender issues. In five or ten years, nobody will care much about it. And if Bomer does play this particular role and the project bombs with audiences, it will hardly be remembered. 

• rayban likes this

#47 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

Nick Adams, who is the director of Glaad's Transcender Media Program, has written a column that argues that "putting a male actor in a dress, wig and makeup is an inaccurate portrayal of a transgender woman."

And he highlights the success of trans gender actress, Laverne Cox, from "Orange Is The New Black".

And he mentions the visibility of trans gender actresses like Candis Cayne.

And he talks about - and names - all of the trans gender actresses who are making names for themselves and waiting for their "big break".

He also calls for the use of trans gender men who are out there in the acting community and waiting for roles that they can inhabit - accurately.

This sort of revolution in casting will take a long time, I think, but it will, eventually, happen, more likely on the TV screen.

Meanwhile, when a trans gender woman is played so brilliantly by Jared Leto in his Oscar-winning performance, who can deny the effectiveness of a gifted male actor in a trans gender role?

Mr. Adams overlooks the fact that talent, true talent, can justify the decision to use a male actor in a transgender role.

I seriously doubt that a trans gender actress could've outdone Jared Leto.   

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#48 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

Matt Bomer with his husband, Simon Halls, and their three children, Walker Bomer, Henry Bomer and Kit Bomer -

matt-bomer-shares-family-photo.jpg

Now there's a cute family!

• rayban likes this

#49 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

Matt Bomer with his husband, Simon Halls, and their three children, Walker Bomer, Henry Bomer and Kit Bomer -

matt-bomer-shares-family-photo.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#50 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

The politically correct police don't seem to understand the way movies get made- you need money! The handsome, talented and gay Mr Bomer is a bankable star.

It must be tough for casting directors to do their jobs today in Hollywood. Think of all the roles that are already have restrictions on them due to age, ability and political correctness.

• rayban likes this

#51 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

The politically correct police don't seem to understand the way movies get made- you need money! The handsome, talented and gay Mr Bomer is a bankable star.

• rayban likes this

#52 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

It's possible some of these controversies are encouraged by the producers. They help keep the project in the public eye and entice people to watch the finished product.

• LawrenceA and rayban like this

#53 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Felicity Hoffman played a trans gender woman on screen - and she really and truly was amazing in that role - in fact, she should have won an Oscar that year for Best Actress.

• LawrenceA likes this

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

BTW, you know if they had cast a trans actor, that the outrage would be that they were playing a sex worker, which someone, somewhere, would find offensive, and claim that the filmmakers were trying to say all trans people were sex workers, or some similar ridiculousness.  

I think that is probably right...there would have been some other thing for them to find "wrong" about the project.

• rayban likes this

#55 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

Bomer is an accomplished actor with a successful TV series and multiple film and cable projects under his belt. He would be terrific in the part, I'm sure.

We are living in an age of manufactured controversy over the smallest of issues. Thanks to social media, the smallest grievances get blown up into national debates. I understand that the trans community has had a rough year, with all of the absurd bathroom law debates, and being used as a political talking point and punching bag. I understand how that may make some members of that community feel threatened by this casting. But they shouldn't. The trans community is basically where the gay and lesbian community were at 15 years ago: mainstream tolerance is starting to grow, but acceptance is a ways away. Any positive steps in de-stigmatizing the trans community should be embraced.

BTW, you know if they had cast a trans actor, that the outrage would be that they were playing a sex worker, which someone, somewhere, would find offensive, and claim that the filmmakers were trying to say all trans people were sex workers, or some similar ridiculousness.  

And whatever happened to Matt Bomer's Montgomery Clift movie he was supposed to be starring in for HBO? Is it filmed but not aired yet, or was it never started? I have HBO, but have seen no mention of it yet.

#56 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

This reminds me of the controversy surrounding the casting of Ironside not long ago when NBC did a reboot. There were cries within the Hollywood community that a real-life disabled actor should have been chosen for the main role. But the network and producers still hired someone who was not disabled. The show flopped and was soon history.

• rayban likes this

#57 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Mark Ruffalo, the actor, is the executive producer of a new film about a trans gender woman who becomes involved with a Mississippi widower.

It is based on a play by Tim McNeil.  The trans gender woman is a Los Angeles sex worker.

Mark Ruffalo has decided to cast Matt Bomer in the lead role.

Mark Ruffalo and Matt Bomer starred together in the first-rate TV adaptation of Larry Kramer's play, "The Normal Heart".

But controversy is already bubbling up, because Matt Bomer is a man - yes, an openly gay man - who has been chosen to play a trans gender woman.

The reasoning seems to be - with so many trans gender women already available in the acting community - why can't one of them be given the leading role?

Personally, I think that Matt Bomer, although an openly gay man who lives with his husband and three children, would be absolutely terrific in the leading role.

He won an Emmy for his performance in "The Normal Heart", he is an excellent actor, and he has an androgynous quality, anyway.

Hopefully, the controversy will die down and the project will go forward.

Matt Bomer is a bankable name now - and his participation will give the project a high-profile frame of reference.

If it does happen, I am predicting acting awards for Matt Bomer.

Incidentally, Matt Bomer is one of the most beautiful men alive.

Looking at him, appreciating him, is already "an experience".

matt-bomer-height.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users