We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Gunfight at Dodge City"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

THE GUNFIGHT AT DODGE CITY has been added to the Starz lineup, so it can now be streamed. 

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

Sounds like you are referring to FORT MASSACRE.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Fort_Massacre

That's the one.  Thanks a lot.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

I just saw Barbara Stanwyck in a very similar role on Wagon Train.  I like this movie too and think it makes a great counterpoint to another of his films whose name escapes me.  He plays a soldier who's the exact opposite of "Trooper Hook", one whose hatred of "Indians" is so great it causes his downfall and nearly that of those around him.  His costars are Susan Cabot and, I think, John Russell.  He plays both hero and villain to perfection.  

Sounds like you are referring to FORT MASSACRE.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Fort_Massacre

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#4 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

I also enjoyed McCrea in "Trooper Hook" with his frequent co-star, Barbara Stanwyck.  He played a very interesting character. 

I just saw Barbara Stanwyck in a very similar role on Wagon Train.  I like this movie too and think it makes a great counterpoint to another of his films whose name escapes me.  He plays a soldier who's the exact opposite of "Trooper Hook", one whose hatred of "Indians" is so great it causes his downfall and nearly that of those around him.  His costars are Susan Cabot and, I think, John Russell.  He plays both hero and villain to perfection.  

• rayban likes this

#5 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Wouldbestar, I enjoyed your memories of years past.  I also enjoyed McCrea in "Trooper Hook" with his frequent co-star, Barbara Stanwyck.  He played a very interesting character.  And I thought that in "Gunfight" both of the women's parts were well defined.  I think it was a bit of a departure to have Nancy Gates play the saloon girl.

• rayban likes this

#6 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

I've seen this before and enjoyed it also.  The ladies roles were interesting because Julia/Julie Adams did opposing ones in this and The Lawless breed.  In that one she's the saloon girl who beats out the nice girl to get the guy where here her prim preacher's daughter loses him to Nancy Gates's dance hall girl.  (Both times you cheer).  While historically suspect it is an likable film.  Joel never let us down.

The first film I ever saw him in, Wells Fargo, was also on last week.  When I graduated from  grammar school we were treated to this and Shane on a double feature followed by a cookout in the country where we got to socialize with a horse.  Not knowing who Mr. McCrea was then I was more impressed that Johnny Mack Brown, who I'd spent many a Saturday afternoon with on film, was in it.  Liked it as much as I did then.   

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

Yes...this is a nicely made picture from the late 50s. It was one of McCrea's final westerns. Julie Adams had previously worked with supporting player John McIntire in THE LAWLESS BREED. 

• rayban likes this

#8 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

I wanted to pass along to any Westerns fans who may not have heard of this.  It's playing twice today on the Encore Westerns channel.  I've seen it several times over the years, and I recall it being a better-than-average Western.  it stars the always reliable Joel McCrea and has great parts for two beautiful women who knew their way around the Westerns towns of the studio backlots:  Julie Adams and Nancy Gates.  If you have some time to spare today, this might be a pleasant way to enjoy a couple of hours.

Terrence.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users