We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Tom & Jerry : A Slapstick Comedy for everyone !

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Whipsnade

Whipsnade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArroyo Grande, California

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

While I have always enjoyed the Tom & Jerry and other MGM cartoons, I think the Warner Brothers cartoons are superior in terms of story, characters and comedy.  MGM and Walt Disney often had a more artistic presentation, but for pure slapstick, both visual and verbal, Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies can't be beat. From the fairly primitive cartoons of the thirties, they developed a formula and several characters, like Porky Pig and Daffy Duck. Then, in the early 1940's they created a superstar, Bugs Bunny.  While Bugs needed several years to achieve his classic look and speech pattern, right from the start he tangled with his arch nemesis, Elmer Fudd (who underwent his own transformation, during those same years).  Though Elmer was his first, Bugs faced many other adversaries through the years: Yosemite Sam, Witch Hazel, Marvin the Martian and the Tasmanian Devil (to name a few).   There was also the classic teaming with Daffy Duck, a pairing reminiscent of Hope & Crosby.  Warner Bros. had a deep bench, with many other stars besides the "big four."  Sylvester & Tweety, Pepe Le Pew, Henery Hawk, The Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote, Sam the Sheepdog & Ralph the  Wolf, and Speedy Gonzales. And my personal favorite, Foghorn Leghorn; a loud mouthed, oversize chicken who crossed swords with Sylvester, Henery the Hawk, the Barnyard Dog, and Miss Prissy, the spinster hen.  The character was loosely based on Kenny Delmar's "Senator Claghorn" character from "The Fred Allen Show" on radio.  This is another example of a radio character crossing over to the movies (sort of).  In all these cartoons, we get seven minutes of concentrated visual & verbal slapstick. The cultural impact and commercial success of these Warner Brothers classics can not be denied.

• Rejana Raj likes this

#2 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

That's one surprising fact ! 

I never knew that they hated Mr.Quimby.

According to a documentary on one of my Spotlight Collection DVDs, Quimby took things too seriously. The animators, including the directors would pull pranks on one another for inspiration for the cartoons, but when Quimby saw them, he would stop them and say "What are you guys doing? This is MGM. You shouldn't be doing this." He even kept the seven Oscars Hanna and Barbera rightfully won in his office.

• Larynxa and Rejana Raj like this

#3 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDubai, United Arab Emirates

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

Fun Fact: There was another "Tom & Jerry" cartoon duo, before the cat & mouse.

The original Tom & Jerry were humans (one tall & thin, the other short & plump), in cartoons by the Van Beuren studio. When Hanna-Barbera's Tom & Jerry became popular, the old Van Beuren Tom & Jerry were re-named "Dick & Larry" in re-releases, to avoid confusion.

Here's the Van Beuren duo in "Wot a Night". (Warning: contains blackface material. This is one reason why these cartoons aren't seen any more. Another is that they're in black & white.)

Hi Larynxa !

Thanks a lot for sharing this link. I thought for a while that if the Tom and Jerry duo were humans, then it would have been totally different. I am glad that they made it as "World's Favorite Cat-and-Mouse duo".

#4 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

Anytime. Though, here's a fun fact for ya. Both of the directors, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera despised Fred Quimby.

That's one surprising fact ! 

I never knew that they hated Mr.Quimby.

#5 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

I wouldn't say that they don't show them on TV anymore because they're black and white. I've seen black and white cartoons on Cartoon Network (TCM's sister station) before. It's because of the blackface bits, unless they can be edited out so they can be broadcast, which I'm wholeheartedly against as a film purist.

• Larynxa and Rejana Raj like this

#6 Larynxa

Larynxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Fun Fact: There was another "Tom & Jerry" cartoon duo, before the cat & mouse.

The original Tom & Jerry were humans (one tall & thin, the other short & plump), in cartoons by the Van Beuren studio. When Hanna-Barbera's Tom & Jerry became popular, the old Van Beuren Tom & Jerry were re-named "Dick & Larry" in re-releases, to avoid confusion.

Here's the Van Beuren duo in "Wot a Night". (Warning: contains blackface material. This is one reason why these cartoons aren't seen any more. Another is that they're in black & white.)

• GeezerNoir, goingtopluto and Rejana Raj like this

#7 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Glad to meet a Tom and Jerry fan. I love the cartoons which were produced by Fred Quimby.
P.S. Thanks for the link of your article.

Anytime. Though, here's a fun fact for ya. Both of the directors, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera despised Fred Quimby.

#8 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'm a Tom & Jerry fan myself. I own all three of the Spotlight Collections, as well as the Chuck Jones and Gene Deitch collections. They are indeed one of the greatest slapstick duos to hit the screen alongside Laurel & Hardy and Abbot & Costello. As a matter of fact, I've actually written an article on Tom & Jerry in another forum that might strike your fancy...

http://youchew.net/i...ry-shorts-r743/

I'm one of the site's writers and editors.

Glad to meet a Tom and Jerry fan. I love the cartoons which were produced by Fred Quimby.
P.S. Thanks for the link of your article.

#9 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

Even though Looney Tunes is my favorite, I have a deep love for Tom and Jerry, I always found myself rooting for both Tom/Jerry, I just couldn't pick a side! lol! Timeless classic!

Tom and Jerry are one of the best comedic duo ever in the history of Animation. Looney Tunes is not that bad but I prefer Tom and Jerry a lot.

#10 Desilu19x

Desilu19x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:40 PM

Even though Looney Tunes is my favorite, I have a deep love for Tom and Jerry, I always found myself rooting for both Tom/Jerry, I just couldn't pick a side! lol! Timeless classic!

• goingtopluto, CynthiaV and Rejana Raj like this

#11 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:03 PM

I'm a Tom & Jerry fan myself. I own all three of the Spotlight Collections, as well as the Chuck Jones and Gene Deitch collections. They are indeed one of the greatest slapstick duos to hit the screen alongside Laurel & Hardy and Abbot & Costello. As a matter of fact, I've actually written an article on Tom & Jerry in another forum that might strike your fancy...

http://youchew.net/i...ry-shorts-r743/

I'm one of the site's writers and editors.

• goingtopluto and Rejana Raj like this

#12 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Attached File  trucefighting.jpg   92.61KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users