We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

West Side Story (the movie) and the 15th Anniversary of 9./11:

West Side Story (1961 film) 9/11 Romance Love Radio City Music Hall Jets Sharks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA U. S. A.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

West Side Story is also one of my personal favorite movies. It's a rather unique take on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, and the music was hauntingly beautiful, especially during the end credit sequence. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest movie musicals ever made.

West Side Story is my all time favorite movie, hands down!  I never get tired of seeing this great classic film over and over and over again, but it cries to be shown on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, with a whole bunch of other people, whether one knows them or not.  

#2 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

WEST SIDE STORY in Super Panavision 70 is magnificent.  It's one of only a handful of great film adaptations of Broadway musicals.  One of the finest films ever made, in my opinion.

Just last  month, West Side Story was shown as part of a 10-day 70mm Classic film festival at the Somerville Theatre, in Somerville, MA.  Due to a shipping snafu, when they weren't able to get the film  It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in on time,  the film West Side Story was shown instead, thereby resulting in two showings of WSS for the 70mm film festival.  I saw it both times, on Saturday, 9/17/16 by myself, and once on the originally-scheduled showing on 9/22/16, with my sister, a friend of mine, and a friend of hers.  We all had a wonderful time.  It was so worth going to both showings of West Side Story!  

• johnm001 and jamesjazzguitar like this

#3 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

West Side Story is also one of my personal favorite movies. It's a rather unique take on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, and the music was hauntingly beautiful, especially during the end credit sequence. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest movie musicals ever made.

You're right about the film West Side Story being hauntingly beautiful, T-Newton!  That is one big reason that I find it so irresistible and go to see it every time it comes to a movie theatre in my area, or even watch it on TV.  No matter what anybody else says or thinks, nothing beats seeing this great classic film on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, and sharing the whole experience with a bunch of other people, whether one knows them or not.

#4 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

WEST SIDE STORY in Super Panavision 70 is magnificent.  It's one of only a handful of great film adaptations of Broadway musicals.  One of the finest films ever made, in my opinion.

I recently saw the film West Side Story in 70mm, at the Somerville Theatre, not far from where I live.  It was presented as part of a 10-day 70mm film festival that was given by this particular theatre.  I went to both showings of it.  I, my friend, my sister and her friend all had a fabulous time and loved every minute of it.  The 70mm film of West Side Story made this film look even more three-dimensional, and the music was more punchy and in one's face, as it's really supposed to be.  

#5 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

• miki likes this

#6 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

• miki likes this

#7 miki

miki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

West Side Story (the movie) and the 15th Anniversary of 9./11: 
The year 2001 was a rather strange and sad year, overall. Movies were at an all time low, and, for me and my family, my dad had been bed-ridden with a serious illness that eventually took him over and killed him; He died from his illness in late January of 2001. An autopsy, the results of which came back several months later, revealed a rare but-then-always fatal form of encephalitis known as Limbic Encephalitis. Life that year was saddened for all of us, due to the passing of a warm-hearted, wonderful father, friend, great conversationalist, as well as someone who lived and loved life to the fullest, and stuck with everybody through thick and thin, despite getting assignments all over the country, as a famous free-lance photo journalist.  

September 11th, 2001, started as an ordinary day for me. When I heard about the airplanes hitting the WTC Towers, thereby causing them to collapse in a mass of smoke and fire, at first, I thought it might be a hoax, but when I saw the grisly scenes on television, I knew otherwise. It was a rather freaky thing to see! 

Although an old friend of mine who lives up in New Hampshire and I had planned to go to downtown Boston on the following Saturday, she called to beg off, due to being frightened and worried, but I manage to talk her into coming, which she did. She, her oldest daughter, and I met in Downtown Boston, where we went to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) to see an exhibit, walked around, and then had lunch in Boston's North End. It was a perfect September day, with bright sunshine, and crisp air...perfect for walking around the city, and my friend and her daughter were both glad that I'd talked them into coming.

Now for the real crux of my essay:

In mid-August of 2001, roughly a month before 9/11, I received a small ad in the mail about a special upcoming 40th Anniversary screening of the film West Side Story, at 7:00, on Saturday, October 6th, at NYC's renowned Radio City Music Hall. I had just arrived home from an annual eye-dilation examination when I received a phone call from some old (now-deceased) friends of mine who'd lived in Boston but moved own to NYC years ago, and knew that West Side Story was (and still is!) my all time favorite movie. When they asked if I wanted them to get some tickets to attend the upcoming screening of West Side Story at Radio City Music Hall, I immediately said yes. After a little bit of a snafu, the tickets for the special West Side Story event were obtained.  

Saturday, October 6th, 2001 dawned bright and sunny, with somewhat crisp early autumn air. Leaving Somerville shortly before seven that morning, I drove down to the Big Apple, arriving at around noontime.  My cousin, who then lived in a condominium on the Upper West Side, had graciously allowed me to stay overnight in her condo, while she and her husband went to upstate New York for that weekend. We met, embraced, hung out and talked for afew hours, and walked around in the lovely nearby Tryon Park. Afew hours later, my cousin and her husband departed for upstate New York, and I took a livery cab down to my old friends' apartment building down on Riverside Drive, where we met, and took a bus to Radio City Hall.  

There was already a line of people waiting to get into RCMH for the special West Side Story screening, which my friends were just as excited about as I was. After a brief look in my pocketbook by a security person (as everybody else had to undergo), we took our seats in the gigantic auditorium. There were throngs of people, and even the press was there to report on the big event of the night. After a spate of rather long-winded speeches from (the late) Robert Wise, as well as members of the cast/crew who'd been able to make it to this event, the movie started. What a Saturday night out that was! Radio City Music Hall was packed with an exuberant, friendly crowd, and there was much applause and finger-snapping from the audience at the end of each song/scene from West Side Story.

The film West Side Story, when shown on a great big, wide movie theatre screen, takes on a magical, almost 3-dimensional quality. The scenery appears more expansive, and one can see all of everything. The brilliantly intense Bernstein Musical Score and the beautifully-choreographed dancing by the late Jerome Robbins, as well as the richly-colored costumes and cinematography all seem even more intense and more emphatic when this special classic is played on a great big, wide movie theatre screen, with the lights down low, as well.  

From the warring Jets and Sharks to the romancing Tony and Maria, to the bitter, bigoted Lt. Schrank, from Doc the Candy Store owner to Anita and Bernardo, and Ofcr Krupke, the various characters of West Side Story all seem to move much more fluidly and freely, and in a much wider, more open space. Moreover, seeing this great classic on a great big, wide screen enables one to see and appreciate the film West Side Story for the great work of art that it really and truly is. The fact that West Side Story was preserved as a larger-than-life piece of theatre when it was transferred from stage to screen also gave it its strength, and helped make it the dynamic package that it really is. I took a cab back to my cousin's condominium, where I was staying for the night, dropping my friends off, as well. It had been a wonderful evening. The fact that five or six thousand people showed up at Radio City Music Hall that night was proof that people could still get together for a spectacular event, despite the freaky, horrific events of 9/11 that occurred less than a month before.

I left for home on Sunday afternoon, which also dawned bright and sunny. It had been a wonderful weekend. The change in scenery, along with seeing old friends and relatives, as well as a special movie had given me a badly-needed lift after a sad, strange and rough year. My dad would've wanted me to do that. 

• cinemaspeak59 and T-Newton like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: West Side Story (1961 film), 9/11, Romance, Love, Radio City Music Hall, Jets, Sharks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users