We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Have you seen in him in BETTER CALL SAUL or BREAKING BAD

Bauer never stopped working but I believe he might have been a major star if he had picked better projects -even in "Thieves of Heart" his charms are wasted. 

• rayban likes this

#2 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Steven Bauer- started out as Rocky Echevarria in the very funny sit com "Que Pasa Usa" (1977-1979) playing essentially himself a Cuban-American jock.  He co-starred with Pacino in "Scarface"(1983)  but then Hollywood did not know what to do with him "Thief of Hearts" (1984) was his only starring vehiclehttps://youtu.be/GX5C5eiCe20

Have you seen in him in BETTER CALL SAUL or BREAKING BAD?

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Steven Bauer- started out as Rocky Echevarria in the very funny sit com "Que Pasa Usa" (1977-1979) playing essentially himself a Cuban-American jock.  He co-starred with Pacino in "Scarface"(1983)  but then Hollywood did not know what to do with him "Thief of Hearts" (1984) was his only starring vehiclehttps://youtu.be/GX5C5eiCe20

• rayban likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,529 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

Keith Andes - again - swoonworthy! -

http://2.bp.blogspot...883514207_n.jpg

I love that word swoonworthy. LOL

Keith Andes also guest-starred on The Lucy Show. He's in a second season episode called 'Lucy Goes Duck Hunting.' It can be watched on Hulu.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Keith Andes - again - swoonworthy! -

http://2.bp.blogspot...883514207_n.jpg

• TopBilled and CountVictorGrazinsky like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

Keith Andes - he had a long career - two notable films are "Clash By Night" and "Split Second" - he starred on Broadway oppposite Lucille Ball in "Wildcat" -

5fe4f60d29ae5001880cb2a3245bb714--heroin

• jaragon and CountVictorGrazinsky like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#7 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

Yes, he should've been a much bigger star in America. He just had the right look and cool attitude. 

I watched the documentary Guns For Hire: The Making of the Magnificent Seven a few months ago. Horst Buchholz was interviewed, and he downright admitted he couldn't stand Steve McQueen. Yul Brynner and James Cagney also had problems with Buchholz. It's possible his bad attitude could be a reason why he wasn't a bigger star in America.

• jaragon and rayban like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#8 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Grant Williams - one of the most beautiful men in 50's cinema -

GW00.jpg

When Susan Slade (Connie Stevens) had a breakdown in "Susan Slade" after learning that he had unexpectedly died, you could understand the nature of her despair.

Grant Williams was excellent in THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.  As he shrank, he shrank from his wife in all ways and took up with a little person until the inevitable.  His battle with a spider is one of the greatest scenes ever in '50's science fiction.

• Jlewis, jaragon, rayban and 1 other like this

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yes, he should've been a much bigger star in America. He just had the right look and cool attitude. 

Perhaps his film career in Germany was more important to him.

He and Leslie Caron were unforgettable lovers in "Fanny".

• TopBilled and CountVictorGrazinsky like this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,529 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

Horst Buchholz - in this country, he is known for "Tiger Bay", "The Magnificent Seven", "Fanny" and "One, Two, Three" -

caebe0c0c5ffc909c8689cb54429e013.jpg

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#11 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Horst Buchholz - in this country, he is known for "Tiger Bay", "The Magnificent Seven", "Fanny" and "One, Two, Three" -

caebe0c0c5ffc909c8689cb54429e013.jpg

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Grant Williams - one of the most beautiful men in 50's cinema -

GW00.jpg

When Susan Slade (Connie Stevens) had a breakdown in "Susan Slade" after learning that he had unexpectedly died, you could understand the nature of her despair.

• Jlewis, TopBilled, ChristineHoard and 2 others like this

#13 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

As I already mentioned, I watch NCIS: Los Angeles. Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J (both of which are ineligible for this thread) have a bromance and have good chemistry with one another. But Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan have better chemistry on the Hawaii Five-O reboot. (I've only seen a few episodes, but I admire both Alex and Scott.)

Here's the difference:

bfd48fd30dc9cadd380b8a33be134e1b.jpg

46f2603ec03277c6e22fa679550be6d0.jpg

Yes I saw this in the clips Alex and Scott don't have any problems hugging actually it's nice to see straight men who are not afraid to show their love for each other.

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#14 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

As I already mentioned, I watch NCIS: Los Angeles. Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J (both of which are ineligible for this thread) have a bromance and have good chemistry with one another. But Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan have better chemistry on the Hawaii Five-O reboot. (I've only seen a few episodes, but I admire both Alex and Scott.)

Here's the difference:

bfd48fd30dc9cadd380b8a33be134e1b.jpg

• jaragon, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#15 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Alex's and Scott's love in a nutshell! :wub:

a27b7c42cd36313ecadb2b9109dae1c2.jpg

They have real chemistry and the show plays on their bromance

#16 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Alex's and Scott's love in a nutshell! :wub:

a27b7c42cd36313ecadb2b9109dae1c2.jpg

#17 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Alex O'Loughlin

10643952-large.jpg

f1edde052a8659c1d6d65f9367bda757.jpg

#18 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Scott Caan and his Hawaii Five-O co-star Alex O'Loughlin (a possible contender for this thread) make a cute couple. :wub:

cf57ed09863e701cbcc2a0a6b8aa5acf.jpg

The do make a handsome couple- bet you there is plenty of fan fiction about these two.

#19 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Scott Caan and his Hawaii Five-O co-star Alex O'Loughlin (a possible contender for this thread) make a cute couple. :wub:

cf57ed09863e701cbcc2a0a6b8aa5acf.jpg

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

#20 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Scott Caan appeared in Varsity Blues and Into the Blue with his buddy Paul Walker but has left movies (and Walker) in favor of the sun and sand on the Hawaii Five-O reboot.

scott-caan-1-sized.jpg

scott-caan-height-weight-body-fat-percen

• jinsinna13 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users