We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

I gotta say Gardner McKay is pretty cute. Not Troy Donahue cute, but still....

fcb5d3e3cbf12e5e48ce65bc3b264c73.jpg

What a shame, he was not interested in a film career.

• jinsinna13 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#42 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

some of the men here are way too pretty for me, or too young.

This is more my style.

https://www.pinteres...52131216823144/

I added some modern stars on purpose. I am at the age where I find both classic stars (Gregory Peck, Burt Lancaster) and modern stars (Chris Hemsworth, Matt Bomer) attractive. A classic film fan can also like NCIS: Los Angeles. Just sayin'.

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#43 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

I gotta say Gardner McKay is pretty cute. Not Troy Donahue cute, but still....

fcb5d3e3cbf12e5e48ce65bc3b264c73.jpg

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#44 chandler5710

chandler5710

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

I did not know he was on Guiding Light. He still looks AWESOME, though!

I put Bomer on this thread because, while he is in movies, (Magic Mike, Magic Mike XXL, The Nice Guys), he hasn't made the movie star transition yet. His time to make that transition, though, is short because he'll be 40 in October. Bomer is also one of my favorite actors.

I will check out rayban's thread when I have a chance.

nose job

#45 chandler5710

chandler5710

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

some of the men here are way too pretty for me, or too young.

This is more my style.

https://www.pinteres...52131216823144/

#46 chandler5710

chandler5710

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

I liked his work in the few films I have seen him in;  E.g.  Bad Day at Black Rock where he held his own in a cast full of great actors.

At least he got to work with Liz at a time when she one of the great beauties of Hollywood.  

Very nice man - I interviewed him years ago.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#47 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

Gee, rayban. You must have had a rough time getting through the later Mysterious Island since it wasn't just the Ray Harryhausen special effects, but stars Michael Callan, Michael Craig and a post-Bette Davis Gary Merrill (plus two others getting less screen time) all struggling to keep their shirts on during their own life and death adventures. Good thing TWO women showed up so they could maintain their heterosexuality. One was OK milking the goats, but the other had to get frisky with the younger Mike Cee. (I think the actors were all straight off screen, but Kerwin Matthews in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad certainly wasn't although he was pretty convincing kissing Kathryn Grant.)

The Incredible Shrinking Man has frequently been discussed as a "gay themed" film, although the reasons are nebulous at best. Although there is nothing wrong with a couple waiting a while before having children, the wife's mention of being married for six years when they are on the boat is odd for 1956 standards of "normality", if not today. Back then, everybody was in such a hurry to pump out the kids right away and they do have a nice enough home to accommodate, so it is not like they are waiting merely to afford them. He also mentions on screen how much more difficult he is on her as a husband as he shrinks smaller in size, perhaps a reflection that he can't succeed sexually with her any more. Yet was this a new problem? She does look frustrated a lot, although he is somewhat affectionate on the boat (just so she will get that beer for him). Although he becomes famous with newspaper photographers prowling outside, he eventually gets lost in the basement and practically invisible like so many forced to stay in the closet. You do need to watch both this and Invasion of the Body Snatchers back to back in order to fully appreciate what the fifties were all about.

• rayban likes this

#48 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Not to mention how often his clothes get ripped apart as he shrinks in his most famous role. I just think, if this was sci fi "reality", he would just blanket himself with rags to keep warm but mostly romp around the basement and fight tarantulas nude.

A nude Grant Williams would've been too much to take for us gay guys.

• Jlewis likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#49 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Grant Williams was such a beautiful man.

I've been collecting private photos of him.

And he is never with anybody but himself.

And he always looks sensational.

He was teaching acting - and he did die young.

My favorite film of his is "Susan Slade".

He impregnates Connie Stevens - and then dies!

How much punishment can one girl take?!

Not to mention how often his clothes get ripped apart as he shrinks in his most famous role. I just think, if this was sci fi "reality", he would just blanket himself with rags to keep warm but mostly romp around the basement and fight tarantulas nude.

• rayban likes this

#50 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Recently I've been watching episodes of the Mr. Lucky TV series. John Vivyan, who resembles Cary Grant, plays the title role. He didn't go on to have a movie career and after 1970, his television appearances are rare. In one article online, he was supposedly Joan Crawford's date to the 1963 Oscars. But I didn't find any evidence he was married or had children. I'd like to know more about him.

screen-shot-2017-02-16-at-8-04-49-am.png

He's one of those TV stars who seems to have cultivated "anonymity".

#51 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Yes, they could have had children that were not public knowledge (illegitimate ones). Or they were "confirmed bachelors."

Whenever I hear "confirmed bachelors", which includes James Bond and all of his womanizing, I also think of "old maids". Even in the musical The Music Man, Shirley Jones' librarian gets slightly concerned when the girl she's training piano brings it up.

I watched The Lost Patrol yesterday when it aired again. Although the soldiers discussed women, you have to wonder how they got their all important "release" in the Mesopotamian desert circa 1917. (Ditto, the guys with Cousteau in The Silent World and Kon Tiki's crew.) Oh well... they mostly died by gunfire in the movie anyway, including prim and proper Boris Karloff.

• rayban likes this

#52 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

This was probably discussed before. I have often wondered about Grant Williams, who never married or had relationships with women that were particularly well documented. The Incredible Shrinking Man is one of my personal favorites of the stressed-out fifties, the decade that also begot Invasion of the Body Snatchers (i.e. everybody becoming the same under McCarthyism, just not Kevin McCarthy) and Psycho, filmed at the close of the decade as an exclamation point to the Eisenhower Era's sexual suppression and forever linked in my mind by John Gavin asking "Why was he dressed like... that?".

d62f0dd4e37fbeb179197c40eeff5195.jpg

Here he is being all affectionate with wifie dear, only SHE is playing hard-to-get: http://www.tcm.com/m...ley-Wench-.html

Grant Williams was such a beautiful man.

I've been collecting private photos of him.

And he is never with anybody but himself.

And he always looks sensational.

He was teaching acting - and he did die young.

My favorite film of his is "Susan Slade".

He impregnates Connie Stevens - and then dies!

How much punishment can one girl take?!

• Jlewis, TopBilled and jaragon like this

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Maybe these guys all planned to become monks or Catholic priests after their acting careers ended. I guess we can't assume anything just because they were quiet about their sex lives (if they had any of consequence).

Their careers all predated Stonewall and, even after Stonewall, we had Anita Bryant, Jerry Falwell, the Reagan administration and the AIDS panic still keeping many actors in the closet well into the late 1980s and beyond. Even aging stars like Richard Chamberlain and Ian McKellen who were well established didn't before then.

Yes, they could have had children that were not public knowledge (illegitimate ones). Or they were "confirmed bachelors."

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#54 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Maybe these guys all planned to become monks or Catholic priests after their acting careers ended. I guess we can't assume anything just because they were quiet about their sex lives (if they had any of consequence).

Their careers all predated Stonewall and, even after Stonewall, we had Anita Bryant, Jerry Falwell, the Reagan administration and the AIDS panic still keeping many actors in the closet well into the late 1980s and beyond. Even aging stars like Richard Chamberlain and Ian McKellen who were well established didn't before then.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Recently I've been watching episodes of the Mr. Lucky TV series. John Vivyan, who resembles Cary Grant, plays the title role. He didn't go on to have a movie career and after 1970, his television appearances are rare. In one article online, he was supposedly Joan Crawford's date to the 1963 Oscars. But I didn't find any evidence he was married or had children. I'd like to know more about him.

screen-shot-2017-02-16-at-8-04-49-am.png

• Jlewis and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#56 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

This was probably discussed before. I have often wondered about Grant Williams, who never married or had relationships with women that were particularly well documented. The Incredible Shrinking Man is one of my personal favorites of the stressed-out fifties, the decade that also begot Invasion of the Body Snatchers (i.e. everybody becoming the same under McCarthyism, just not Kevin McCarthy) and Psycho, filmed at the close of the decade as an exclamation point to the Eisenhower Era's sexual suppression and forever linked in my mind by John Gavin asking "Why was he dressed like... that?".

d62f0dd4e37fbeb179197c40eeff5195.jpg

Here he is being all affectionate with wifie dear, only SHE is playing hard-to-get: http://www.tcm.com/m...ley-Wench-.html

• TopBilled, jaragon and rayban like this

#57 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Rider Strong's TV Brother

Matthew Lawrence

Matthew-Lawrence-Boy-Meets-World.jpg

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

#58 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Matt Bomer Look Alike!

Eddie Cahill

6d012902df71726de46504293f83647a.jpg

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

#59 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

Peter Krause

From his first major series Sports Night...

enhanced-mid-5769-1458602819-2.png

And from his new series The Catch...

thecatch-news.jpg

• jaragon, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#60 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Noah Wyle

0b4506b0746c84bbb67025751fb5114e.jpg

ae69c60fbcd5fe32f6981b2daf6f070e.jpg

• jinsinna13 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users