We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, or "Fatty" Arbuckle Film!

Charlie ChaplinBuster Keaton Roscoe Arbuckle favorite

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

Yes such athleticism, and true suspense. These are films one can enjoy watching over and over.

It seems no matter how many times I watch it, it never gets old. I saw a post once that asked if you were on a desert island and could only bring 5 movies with you and that would be all you had for entertainment, which 5 would you bring? I definitely think Safety Last  (1923) would be one of mine. :)

• TopBilled likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

...the scene where he climbs the building is both funny and very tense; I was holding my breath every time he stumbled near the edge!

Yes such athleticism, and true suspense. These are films one can enjoy watching over and over.

• Natalie Webb likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

That's really cute. What a photo!

I love his movies with Mildred Davis. Safety Last (1923) is so funny, I love when he pretends Mildred has "fainted" so his boss isn't mad that he's in his office! And, of course, the scene where he climbs the building is both funny and very tense; I was holding my breath every time he stumbled near the edge!

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

90932224b269a7068335fdbbdd6610c7.jpg

That's really cute. What a photo!

• cinemaspeak59 and Natalie Webb like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-24%2Bat%2B10.04.

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm more a fan of Harold Lloyd or his eye wear.

90932224b269a7068335fdbbdd6610c7.jpg

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:07 PM

What do you think of Harold Lloyd? 

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm more a fan of Harold Lloyd or his eye wear.

#7 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

What do you think of Harold Lloyd? I know i didn't put him in the thread title, but I was watching one of his movies the other day and realized I never payed attention to how funny he is! I think my favorite harold Lloyd film is Number, Please? (1920). I saw it again when they played it on TCM recently, and remembered how much I enjoyed it. So do you like Harold Lloyd, dislike Harold Lloyd, or have you seen his films before? He seems to be a little less known.

Count me in as a Harold Lloyd fan. He's my favorite comedian from the Silent Era.  I find him charming, good-natured and, of course, very funny. 

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#8 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

What do you think of Harold Lloyd? I know i didn't put him in the thread title, but I was watching one of his movies the other day and realized I never payed attention to how funny he is! I think my favorite harold Lloyd film is Number, Please? (1920). I saw it again when they played it on TCM recently, and remembered how much I enjoyed it. So do you like Harold Lloyd, dislike Harold Lloyd, or have you seen his films before? He seems to be a little less known.

#9 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Yes, it's his incredible stunt work (anything for a laugh) that impresses me most about Buster Keaton.

I love the moment when he is trying to jump over the fire on the tracks and falls through the hole on the other side! I didn't even notice there was a hole on the bridge where the boards had fallen out until he fell through it; it was so sudden, I loved it.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

I watched The General last night and loved it. It really made me like Buster Keaton a lot more, I think I'll finally watch a few of his films I'd recorded a while back but never watched. I think The General showcased some of his skills I had not noticed before.

Yes, it's his incredible stunt work (anything for a laugh) that impresses me most about Buster Keaton.

#11 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

Just a few off the top of my head:

Charlie-- CITY LIGHTS and MONSIEUR VERDOUX

Buster-- THE GENERAL and THE CAMERAMAN

Fatty-- I like the short film he did with Charlie called 'The Rounders'

I watched The General last night and loved it. It really made me like Buster Keaton a lot more, I think I'll finally watch a few of his films I'd recorded a while back but never watched. I think The General showcased some of his skills I had not noticed before.

• TopBilled likes this

#12 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

In general, I'm not a big Chaplin fan, as his films are often a bit too sentimental for my liking. However, I love The Kid (1921), because I adore young Jackie Coogan.  He was such a beautiful child and a natural talent.  He brought out the best qualities in Chaplin.  Also, The Circus (1928) pleasantly surprised me.  I liked A Woman of Paris (1923) which Chaplin directed but didn't star in.  Chaplin intended it to be a showcase for Edna Purviance, but even though she's great, the story was a bit on the soapy side.

I like the Arbuckle shorts with Keaton, especially Coney Island (1917) and Good Night, Nurse (1918).  Guess I just can't resist Roscoe in drag.  His dog, Luke, is pretty great, too.

Buster Keaton, to me, is the greatest of the silent comics.  I'll mention Sherlock, Jr. (1924) because it was the first of his silents I saw (and that was thanks to a promo at TCM where Woody Allen cited it as an inspiration).  Besides the two features TB mentioned, I'd highly recommend The Navigator (1924) and Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928), but as always, beware of inferior scores.  One Week (1920) is probably my favorite short.

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

Just a few off the top of my head:

Charlie-- CITY LIGHTS and MONSIEUR VERDOUX

Buster-- THE GENERAL and THE CAMERAMAN

Fatty-- I like the short film he did with Charlie called 'The Rounders'

• BelleLeGrand1 and Natalie Webb like this

#14 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

I've been watching a lot of silent comedies recently, and I've got a few new favorites. I think my new favorite Charlie Chaplin movie is The Rink (1916). I think the scene where he mixes the drinks is even better than his "roll dance" from Goldrush (1925).

TCM showed several silent comedies recently, which was your favorite? I enjoyed seeing Mabel's Willful Way (1915).

So, what are your favorite Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, or Roscoe Arbuckle films?

• BelleLeGrand1, TopBilled and Mandroid51 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charlie ChaplinBuster Keaton, Roscoe Arbuckle, favorite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users