We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"FIVE MILES TO MIDNIGHT"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

Maybe this film is too DARK for most tastes.

Sophia Loren can't stand Anthony Perkins.

And that antipathy colors the whole film.

When she runs him over - not once,but twice - the film is clearly over-the-edge.

And, if Gig Young could bring Sophia Loren back, it would be a miracle.

What I like about the film is that the little boy holds a secret that he is unaware of.

When he "spills the beans" to Gig Young - and Sophia Loren is already "gone" - Gig Young thinks that a psychiatritist might be the answer (?!).

The film couldn't end on a darker note.  

• cigarjoe and TopBilled like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Is the Laurence Harvey version under the same title?

I just edited my previous post Terrence. It's called THE RUNNING MAN, and I included a link to the wiki page. Harvey dyed his hair blonde, so he looks different than we normally see him in his films.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

Is the Laurence Harvey version under the same title?

• rayban likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

It's a good film and one I've enjoyed watching. I think it is slightly overshadowed by their earlier collaboration (DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS).

There is a British film made shortly afterward that seems like a loose remake, starring Lee Remick and Laurence Harvey; and it's even better. It's called THE RUNNING MAN, from 1963. 

https://en.wikipedia...Man_(1963_film)

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

Such an interesting film, and yet it is seldom mentioned by anybody.

It is forbiddingly dark - and then gets even darker.

Would it be an example of neo-noir?

Anthony Perkins is married to Sophia Loren and comes up with a wild scheme to make a lot of money.

He forces her to take part - but she is so sorry that she married him and cannot stand the man.

He doesn't really care - as long as she's a willing participant.

Crazily, she becomes involved with a friend of a friend, Gig Young.

She's looking for a way out!

Perkins becomes involved with a young boy, Thomas Nordern, who knows that he's alive when he's supposed to be dead.

Perkins is sick, sick, sick - Loren only exists to serve him - and his thoroughly crazy scheme.

Gradually, he pushes her to the breaking point - and she runs him over - not once, but twice!

Then, she throws him into a nearby river.

And then she stops off for a cup of coffee and faints!

In the end, having contact with the boy, Gig Young finally puts all the pieces together.

But it's too late!

Loren has clearly descended into madness.

The film has been put together with a great deal of style and a great sense of momentum by Anatole Litvak.

I do wish that he had made some more films like this one.

But I am grateful for "Five Miles To Midnight".

A YOUNG BOY DISCOVERS A TERRIFYING SECRET -

fivemiles5.jpg

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users