We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Need variety in movies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

How long have you been watching TCM?   I ask because it sounds like for only a month or two.

August is always Summer Under the Stars;  This means ONE actor each day.   This is why Davis was on all day (for example).

Prior to this TCM had a special related to westerns.    This is why they showed a lot of westerns BUT we can expect less in the near future now that this special is over.

Bottom Line is that TCM does have specialty programming like Star of the Month (one 'star' featured in a month, all day, one day a week,  so 4 - 5 days in that month).    

Otherwise their programming is 85% or so pre-1970 films mostly from Warner Bros, MGM,  and RKO with Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox and Universal a lot less often (due to leasing 'issues' with these studios).

Good post james. I suggest the OP wait another month or two before giving up on TCM. Throughout the year, there is plenty of variety.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Are others bored as I am with  the lack of variety in movies shown on a given day?  They highlight an artist such as Betty Davis or Gary Cooper or some other actor all day.  Or all movies are westerns or about airplanes or war or a certain year such as 1933.

I realize this makes it easier for those selecting what to show but variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes, and it would be more enjoyable to have a mix. 

If this continues, we will cancel our subscription and go to streaming with Netflix.

I've written Turner Classic Movies but no response.

Be interested in hearing others' views on this.

How long have you been watching TCM?   I ask because it sounds like for only a month or two.

August is always Summer Under the Stars;  This means ONE actor each day.   This is why Davis was on all day (for example).

Prior to this TCM had a special related to westerns.    This is why they showed a lot of westerns BUT we can expect less in the near future now that this special is over.

Bottom Line is that TCM does have specialty programming like Star of the Month (one 'star' featured in a month, all day, one day a week,  so 4 - 5 days in that month).    

Otherwise their programming is 85% or so pre-1970 films mostly from Warner Bros, MGM,  and RKO with Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox and Universal a lot less often (due to leasing 'issues' with these studios).

#3 oldtimer88

oldtimer88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Are others bored as I am with  the lack of variety in movies shown on a given day?  They highlight an artist such as Betty Davis or Gary Cooper or some other actor all day.  Or all movies are westerns or about airplanes or war or a certain year such as 1933.

I realize this makes it easier for those selecting what to show but variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes, and it would be more enjoyable to have a mix. 

If this continues, we will cancel our subscription and go to streaming with Netflix.

I've written Turner Classic Movies but no response.

Be interested in hearing others' views on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users