We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Barbara Stanwyck in The Big Valley

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#21 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a very interesting episode about a senator (Andrew Duggan) who was obsessed with being assassinated and his assistant (Robert Ellenstein) who tried hard to keep the man together.

In a minor role, a recently hired man on the Barkley ranch whom the Senator thought might be an assassin, there was an extremely beautiful young man by the name of Roger Davis.

In the end, in order to save Jarrod Barkley's life, the Senator's assistant was forced to kill the Senator, who wanted to kill Jarrod in the belief that Jarrod was an assassin.

This drama had real impact - in that it was about a public figure who are far removed from his public image.

Andrew Duggan and Robert Ellenstein were both superb.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I agree, TopBilled.  This is a great episode.  No one can play evil like Robert Middleton.  But the episode belongs to Stanwyck.  I have a feeling that she loved doing this episode.  The whole story line is believable.

Yes...I hope Ray had a chance to see it. 

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

I agree, TopBilled.  This is a great episode.  No one can play evil like Robert Middleton.  But the episode belongs to Stanwyck.  I have a feeling that she loved doing this episode.  The whole story line is believable.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#24 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

This one WAS an exceptional episode - if I had know about it in advance, I would have recorded it.

I believe the very next episode, airing today, is one that features Barbara Stanwyck with Robert Middleton as a corrupt judge. If you like western noir, you might want to record it.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#25 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

This is my favorite episode from season 2. Here's the review I wrote for Boy into Man:

What I really love about this episode, and I will not give away the outcome of the plot, is that there are two separate story lines running at the same time. We see an old gold prospector (J. Pat O'Malley) as well as a teen boy whose mother has disappeared. The stories are not at all connected in the first half, and a murder neatly brings them together. The boy has taken his two younger siblings to live with the Barkleys, and while he attempts to run away and locate the mother, he gets caught up in murder.

At first, I thought it was going to turn out the kids were orphaned and the mother had died. But she turns up very much alive and in a most interesting way. Diane Ladd plays the mother. The scene where she and Victoria confront the boy in jail about whether he had anything to do with the killing is very powerful. 

This offering of The Big Valley was directed by Paul Henreid, and I've always found his episodes to be among the strongest. He brings out the human predicaments faced by the characters.

This one WAS an exceptional episode - if I had know about it in advance, I would have recorded it.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#26 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was an intriguing episode that guest-starred a very young Richard Dreyfuss.

He played a teenager, who had been abandoned along with his younger brother and sister by his mom, who just left an enigmatic note behind.

In his efforts to find her, he was involved with the Barkleys who had come to their aid.

As Victoria Barkley, Barbara Stanwyck was fierce, maybe a little too fierce, in trying to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Young Richard Dreyfuss was practically inscrutable.

This is my favorite episode from season 2. Here's the review I wrote for Boy into Man:

What I really love about this episode, and I will not give away the outcome of the plot, is that there are two separate story lines running at the same time. We see an old gold prospector (J. Pat O'Malley) as well as a teen boy whose mother has disappeared. The stories are not at all connected in the first half, and a murder neatly brings them together. The boy has taken his two younger siblings to live with the Barkleys, and while he attempts to run away and locate the mother, he gets caught up in murder.

At first, I thought it was going to turn out the kids were orphaned and the mother had died. But she turns up very much alive and in a most interesting way. Diane Ladd plays the mother. The scene where she and Victoria confront the boy in jail about whether he had anything to do with the killing is very powerful. 

This offering of The Big Valley was directed by Paul Henreid, and I've always found his episodes to be among the strongest. He brings out the human predicaments faced by the characters.

• rayban likes this

#27 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was an intriguing episode that guest-starred a very young Richard Dreyfuss.

He played a teenager, who had been abandoned along with his younger brother and sister by his mom, who just left an enigmatic note behind.

In his efforts to find her, he was involved with the Barkleys who had come to their aid.

As Victoria Barkley, Barbara Stanwyck was fierce, maybe a little too fierce, in trying to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Young Richard Dreyfuss was practically inscrutable.

In the end, the mom had returned to her saloon hostess ways in an effort to find a substitute for her dearly beloved and now dead spouse.

The large cast was exceptional, too, especially J. Pat O'Malley who, unfortunately, got involved in the craziness, too.    

• TopBilled likes this

#28 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

Today, on MeTV, "The Big Valley" aired a beautifully-written episode in which Victoria Barkley met up accidentally with an old flame who was not the person that she had remembered.

The old flame was well-played by Dan O'Herlihy.

He had changed - and coarsened - over the years.

Both he and Barbara Stanwyck played their scenes - beautifully.

In the end, he left her again - and a genuine sense of loss was felt.

• TopBilled likes this

#29 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a very off-beat episode that mixed drama and comedy about a farmer who could only get his peaches to market with the aid of all the Barkley boys.

It was essentially politically-minded since it was about a crooked marketer who was driving prices upward and a senator who had to be awoken to his responsibilities.

Very unusual, but very entertaining, too.

The show has done this sort of thing before - it isn't easy to mix drama and comedy.    

I enjoyed this episode very much. I appreciated its look at marketplace economics. The title is Wagonload of Dreams, from the second season.

• rayban likes this

#30 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a very off-beat episode that mixed drama and comedy about a farmer who could only get his peaches to market with the aid of all the Barkley boys.

It was essentially politically-minded since it was about a crooked marketer who was driving prices upward and a senator who had to be awoken to his responsibilities.

Very unusual, but very entertaining, too.

The show has done this sort of thing before - it isn't easy to mix drama and comedy.    

• TopBilled likes this

#31 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a fairly conventional episode that had two extraordinary elements - one was a really "butch" performance by Colleen Dewhurst as the gone-wild mother of three outlaw sons - and other was the matching of Dewhurst and Barbara Stanwyck, who were "out-butching" each other.

Besides Dewhurst and Stanwyck, there were the three brothers, including the one, the only, Michael Burns.

This was a study in contrasts between two families, a staple of the Western.  One matriarch, outlaw Ma Morton, uses fear and intimidation to be the head of her family; her sons do her bidding out of fear even when it's not in their best interests.  It's all about her, she couldn't even make room for a potential daughter-in-law when one son wanted to marry.   

In contrast the Barkley family is held together by the mutual love, trust and respect of Victoria and her children for each other.  She gave birth to them-ok, most of them-but doesn't own them.  This is reflected in Audra's determination, knowing they might both soon die, to let her mother know through the Bible lesson she teaches the children of her deep love for her.  When Jarrod is hurt trying to rescue them Ma Morton can't stand to see this family devotion but her answer, to kill them all, finally brings on a confrontation with her sons who dare to oppose her.  In response to this defiance she violently turns on them just before a final shootout ends the stalemate.

Colleen Dewhurst and Barbara Stanwyck played off each other beautifully.  It did remind you a bit of the Crawford/McCambridge duel in Johnny Guitar-which I saw part of yesterday-but was more believable.  This was one of the best episodes of the series.        

#32 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Dillman was invited back for another episode (playing a different character, also involved with Audra). One of the best method actors of his generation, he seems unfairly underrated.

I think so, too, he had a career at 20th Century Fox, but it didn't seem to last too long.

• TopBilled likes this

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was an interesting "love story" that was distinguished by the chemistry between Linda Evans and guest-star Bradford Dillman.

They brought a great deal of warmth to the story of a love that was not meant to be.

In the end, Mr. Dillman's character was killed by a group of ex-Union soldiers who still held him accountable for the loss of 67 fellow soldiers.

Of course, Mr. Dillman was innocent of the charge.

But some men will cling hard to their illusions.

(Mr. Dillman was married to one of the most beautiful women in the world, Suzy Parker.)

Dillman was invited back for another episode (playing a different character, also involved with Audra). One of the best method actors of his generation, he seems unfairly underrated.

• rayban likes this

#34 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was an interesting "love story" that was distinguished by the chemistry between Linda Evans and guest-star Bradford Dillman.

They brought a great deal of warmth to the story of a love that was not meant to be.

In the end, Mr. Dillman's character was killed by a group of ex-Union soldiers who still held him accountable for the loss of 67 fellow soldiers.

Of course, Mr. Dillman was innocent of the charge.

But some men will cling hard to their illusions.

(Mr. Dillman was married to one of the most beautiful women in the world, Suzy Parker.)

• TopBilled likes this

#35 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a fairly conventional episode that had two extraordinary elements - one was a really "butch" performance by Colleen Dewhurst as the gone-wild mother of three outlaw sons - and other was the matching of Dewhurst and Barbara Stanwyck, who were "out-butching" each other.

Besides Dewhurst and Stanwyck, there were the three brothers, including the one, the only, Michael Burns.

Yes, what a great episode. Burns' character has been critically injured so he spends most of the episode lying down.

• rayban likes this

#36 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

• TopBilled likes this

#37 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was an unusual "love story" between Nick (Peter Breck) and a young woman (Laura Devon), who was taking horrible advantage of him.

It was titled, "The Velvet Trap".

For TV at this time, the episode had an unusually high sexual content.

Nick's romantic feelings for the young woman were explicitly shown.

As were hers, for her secret lover, who was played by Fred Brier, I think.

All three actors were very convincing.

In the end, Laura Devon's schemer became quite hateful.

• TopBilled likes this

#38 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

If you think that one's adult you should have seen Hunter's Moon.  On a horse buying trip, Nick is kidnapped and taken to a wealthy cattleman's home where he's accused of adultery with the man's wife even though he's never been in the territory before.  Two other men are also being held; it turns out they all have horses with a white mane and the man saw who he thinks was the lover ride away on such a mount.  He is middle aged, the wife young.  She helps Nick escape but the husband and his posse catch up with them which leads to a surprise ending.

There's also a sweet but sad subplot about Nick having to come to terms with the fact that his beloved horse, Coco, is coming to the end of his lifespan and he must look for a new companion to share his adventures.  This is something you don't usually see in Westerns but one real people had to deal with back then; like The Waltons losing their cow. 

Lawrence Dobkin is the husband but unrecognizable with hair and beard.  The actress playing the wife was unknown to me.  This one has gotten by me for some reason, I'm glad I finally saw it. 

#39 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,337 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Today, on MeTV, "The Big Valley" shattered the Western genre with an unusually adult drama that guest-starred Diane Foster, Bert Freed and Tim O'Kelly as, respectively, a deceitful wife, her adoring older husband and his secretly-adopted son.

Yes-- great episode. From season 2, called Caesar's Wife.

• rayban likes this

#40 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Today, on MeTV, "The Big Valley" shattered the Western genre with an unusually adult drama that guest-starred Diane Foster, Bert Freed and Tim O'Kelly as, respectively, a deceitful wife, her adoring older husband and his secretly-adopted son.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users