We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Barbara Stanwyck in The Big Valley

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#41 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

i do know that, after working with Otto Preminger in "The Cardinal", he decided to retire from films.

There was also "a scare" in which a well-known Hollywood columnist threatened to "out" him.

He was having a carefully-concealed affair with Casey Donovan. 

He did very well as a novelist. So his best days were ahead of him when he quit acting. But it's a shame that his screen career didn't last longer.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#42 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

He was in the remake of WINCHESTER '73. He had Jimmy Stewart's role when Universal turned it into a TV movie in 1967.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-11-22%2Bat%2B9.58.2

I thought he was well-suited to the western genre.

i do know that, after working with Otto Preminger in "The Cardinal", he decided to retire from films.

There was also "a scare" in which a well-known Hollywood columnist threatened to "out" him.

He was having a carefully-concealed affair with Casey Donovan. 

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

I also enjoyed the episode with Tom Tryon.  I get the feeling that he was not that comfortable as an actor.  He did successfully become a novelist.  Too bad, since he made quite an impression on a lot of people.

He was in the remake of WINCHESTER '73. He had Jimmy Stewart's role when Universal turned it into a TV movie in 1967.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-11-22%2Bat%2B9.58.2

I thought he was well-suited to the western genre.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#44 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

I also enjoyed the episode with Tom Tryon.  I get the feeling that he was not that comfortable as an actor.  He did successfully become a novelist.  Too bad, since he made quite an impression on a lot of people.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

Part of the fun is watching Lee Majors, a very wooden actor at first, develop into one who makes you believe he is Heath.  He says that Barbara Stanwyck did for him what she did for William Holden when they made Golden Boy; take the time to work with and encourage him.  Of course the awkwardness worked for him when the show started and he was the unknown (illegitimate) son who shows up looking for revenge.  As he ditches that phony blonde hair and settles into life with the family who's accepted him he becomes more at ease and confident-art imitating life.  I disagree with critics who pan his acting; he is a diamond in the rough who just needed polishing to bring him out.  See him playing a corrupt sheriff in a Walker, Texas Ranger episode and you'll know what I mean.  

I haven't seen the episode of Walker you mention, but last year I watched the first season of The Fall Guy on Hulu. The stories were rather silly-- it was an 80s action comedy (popular at the time)-- but Lee Majors proved to me he was a very skilled comedian in those episodes. Of course, he was older then and no longer playing the young romantic hero. He developed into a good character actor.

• rayban likes this

#46 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Part of the fun is watching Lee Majors, a very wooden actor at first, develop into one who makes you believe he is Heath.  He says that Barbara Stanwyck did for him what she did for William Holden when they made Golden Boy; take the time to work with and encourage him.  Of course the awkwardness worked for him when the show started and he was the unknown **** son who shows up looking for revenge.  As he ditches that phony blonde hair and settles into life with the family who's accepted him he becomes more at ease and confident-art imitating life.  I disagree with critics who pan his acting; he is a diamond in the rough who just needed polishing to bring him out.  See him playing a corrupt sheriff in a Walker, Texas Ranger episode and you'll know what I mean.  

Yes, in this first season, Lee Majors does seem to be "wooden".

But, he does have his moments.

Maybe the show's efforts to turn him into a blonde beauty inhibited him a great deal.

Edited by TCMModerator1, 21 November 2016 - 11:29 PM.
Edited Quote for Language

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#47 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

Today, on MeTV, on "The Big Valley", there was a terrific episode that guest-starred Tom Tryon, as a friend of Jarrod's, who became involved in a pending drought scare that brought out the worst in him.  He even looked like he was going to take advantage of Audra, who "offered herself" so he would grant an extension on the loans that he had made to the suffering ranchers.

Tom Tryon had enormous charisma.

How he avoided being a movie star is beyond me.

Linda Evans played her scenes with him quite nicely.

If he were a different kind of man - and not such a gung-ho entrepeuneur - he might've had a future with her.

• TopBilled likes this

#48 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Incidentally, this episode could just as easily have been done with Audra (Linda Evans). But we can see they are giving Heath center stage in the first season, counting on him to be the show's young star.

Part of the fun is watching Lee Majors, a very wooden actor at first, develop into one who makes you believe he is Heath.  He says that Barbara Stanwyck did for him what she did for William Holden when they made Golden Boy; take the time to work with and encourage him.  Of course the awkwardness worked for him when the show started and he was the unknown **** son who shows up looking for revenge.  As he ditches that phony blonde hair and settles into life with the family who's accepted him he becomes more at ease and confident-art imitating life.  I disagree with critics who pan his acting; he is a diamond in the rough who just needed polishing to bring him out.  See him playing a corrupt sheriff in a Walker, Texas Ranger episode and you'll know what I mean.  

Edited by TCMModerator1, 21 November 2016 - 11:28 PM.
Edited for Language

#49 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, TopBilled.  Very nice of you.

#50 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

I really like this episode.  Bruce Dern appeared in several episodes, but this one was a little different, in that his character was somewhat sympathetic.  If I had written this episode, I would have made the ending different.  Since there was some question of his innocence, I would have had Victoria offer to have Jarrod represent him, rather than have him just go off on his own.

Yes, I like your idea. It would have been a better ending.

• rayban likes this

#51 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:14 PM

I really like this episode.  Bruce Dern appeared in several episodes, but this one was a little different, in that his character was somewhat sympathetic.  If I had written this episode, I would have made the ending different.  Since there was some question of his innocence, I would have had Victoria offer to have Jarrod represent him, rather than have him just go off on his own.

#52 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

Another difference is that it wasn't Stanwyck's husband (Barry Sullivan) but rather her son (Lee Majors) trapped in the mud.

Incidentally, this episode could just as easily have been done with Audra (Linda Evans). But we can see they are giving Heath center stage in the first season, counting on him to be the show's young star.

Another difference is that it wasn't Stanwyck's husband (Barry Sullivan) but rather her son (Lee Majors) trapped in the mud.

Yes, I agree, the show is obviously banking on Lee Majors as "the breakout star".

• TopBilled likes this

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

I do like the film, though - and this episode was an unexpected variation.

• rayban likes this

#54 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

Yes, Dern is excellent again-- here he's scum with a chance to reform. LOL

I think what makes this episode of The Big Valley better than the MGM film it's based on (JEOPARDY) is that it's not dragged out so much. Plus Dern seems more convincing as a desperate criminal than Ralph Meeker was in the original.

I do like the film, though - and this episode was an unexpected variation.

• TopBilled likes this

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Yesterday, on MeTV on "The Big Valley", there was an interesting episode which was a re-making of Barbara Stanwyck's movie, "Jeopardy".

Although it was shorter, of course, it was far grittier than the film.

In her effort to save her beloved Heath, who was pinned under a wagon and sinking into the mud, she was far more terrifying than she was in the movie.

She must've really enjoyed this one.

Bruce Dern played the man whom she forced to help her.

This actor can play BAD in a truly chilling way.

Yes, Dern is excellent again-- here he's scum with a chance to reform. LOL

I think what makes this episode of The Big Valley better than the MGM film it's based on (JEOPARDY) is that it's not dragged out so much. Plus Dern seems more convincing as a desperate criminal than Ralph Meeker was in the original.

• rayban likes this

#56 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

Yesterday, on MeTV on "The Big Valley", there was an interesting episode which was a re-making of Barbara Stanwyck's movie, "Jeopardy".

Although it was shorter, of course, it was far grittier than the film.

In her effort to save her beloved Heath, who was pinned under a wagon and sinking into the mud, she was far more terrifying than she was in the movie.

She must've really enjoyed this one.

Bruce Dern played the man whom she forced to help her.

This actor can play BAD in a truly chilling way.

• TopBilled likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

He also appeared in another "The Big Valley" episode in which he played an outlaw who was trying to get his baby back from the Barkleys.

That's right. He did. His work on Search for Tomorrow was the first time I had seen him on TV-- in 1984, when I was a pre-teen. He left the show a year later, and they went through two recasts-- Joe Lambie who was too young and not authoritative enough to play a powerful business owner and town patriarch; and Robert Reed (yes of Brady Bunch fame) who was fired after three months. Haskell owned the role of Lloyd Kendall on that soap. He went back to prime time guest roles and did a few movies. According to his IMDb credits, he kept busy on screen until 2009, a year before his death at age 75.

• rayban likes this

#58 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Lucky you. He had a great voice, too.

He also appeared in another "The Big Valley" episode in which he played an outlaw who was trying to get his baby back from the Barkleys.

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

He was also very good-looking, too.

I once saw him in the West Village - he was a knock-out.

Lucky you. He had a great voice, too.

• rayban likes this

#60 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

I've always felt Peter Haskell was underrated as a performer. He was excellent in the Rich Man, Poor Man miniseries of the late 70s. And in the mid-80s, he had a good role on Search for Tomorrow.

He was also very good-looking, too.

I once saw him in the West Village - he was a knock-out.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users