We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Random Alerts!

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#201 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

Good point. But I think there should be some sort of middle ground. To make sure history records it and also wipes the slate clean at the same time.

By using terms like 'slate clean' this implies that the slate was indeed dirty,  when it never was.    If I had a relative that was convicted for something like this,  I would view that as a family honor since there was no shame there.    The shame falls with those that did the convicting and the entire English legal system.

BUT HEY,  I do see this middle ground you mention.    So if people are happy with these type of laws,  I'm happy for them.

• rayban likes this

#202 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

UPDATE -

The second bill that I allude to has just been passed -

DEAD homosexuals who were convicted of sexual offenses that are no longer sexual offenses, i.e. consensual sex between two men, will not be on the records in the future for criminal sexual behavior.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#203 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

Another way to look at this bill is;  does it attempt to erase or minimize 'such a blot on England itself'?    I.e. that the bill is a way for modern progressives to try to erase the actions of their ancestors?  

To me there is no apology for what occurred and therefore it is better that the blot remain as a reminder to future generations.

Good point. But I think there should be some sort of middle ground. To make sure history records it and also wipes the slate clean at the same time.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#204 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

"Turing's Law", which would have erased the criminal records of nearly 50,000 gay men before Britian's **** laws were repealed in 1967, has just been voted down in committee by the British parliament.

The measure was introduced by MP John Nicholson.

There had been a 2015 petition that asked for pardons for gay men who were criminalized for consensual gay sex that had been signed by half a million petitioners. 

One of those petition-signers was Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game".

Turing himself became famous for breaking the Nazis' Enigma Code and turning around the course of World War II.

Later, he was convicted of homosexuality and forced into a chemical castration.

It is believed that he did commit suicide.

Reportedly, there is a rival bill in the British Parliament that would delete the criminal records of all DEAD gay men.

The treatment of Alan Turing and gay men in England before 1967 is such a blot on England itself.

What is wrong with telling 50,000 gay men who were criminalized in the past that what they were doing was not wrong and that England itself is apologizing?

You can imagine the paralyzing fear of actors like Dirk Bogarde, who wouldn't come out of the closet even after 1967.

Another way to look at this bill is;  does it attempt to erase or minimize 'such a blot on England itself'?    I.e. that the bill is a way for modern progressives to try to erase the actions of their ancestors?  

To me there is no apology for what occurred and therefore it is better that the blot remain as a reminder to future generations.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#205 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

Gay Life in England today -

Francis_Scott-Morgan_and_Peter_Scott-Mor

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#206 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

"Turing's Law", which would have erased the criminal records of nearly 50,000 gay men before Britian's **** laws were repealed in 1967, has just been voted down in committee by the British parliament.

The measure was introduced by MP John Nicholson.

There had been a 2015 petition that asked for pardons for gay men who were criminalized for consensual gay sex that had been signed by half a million petitioners. 

One of those petition-signers was Benedict Cumberbatch who played Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game".

Turing himself became famous for breaking the Nazis' Enigma Code and turning around the course of World War II.

Later, he was convicted of homosexuality and forced into a chemical castration.

It is believed that he did commit suicide.

Reportedly, there is a rival bill in the British Parliament that would delete the criminal records of all DEAD gay men.

The treatment of Alan Turing and gay men in England before 1967 is such a blot on England itself.

What is wrong with telling 50,000 gay men who were criminalized in the past that what they were doing was not wrong and that England itself is apologizing?

You can imagine the paralyzing fear of actors like Dirk Bogarde, who wouldn't come out of the closet even after 1967.

• TopBilled likes this

#207 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

Howard Hughes' "The Outlaw" will be on TCM Sunday morning 

Can we all thank Jarrod?

LOL...I'm a little disappointed that Warren Beatty's upcoming biopic about Hughes avoids the whole Buetel relationship.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#208 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Howard Hughes' "The Outlaw" will be on TCM Sunday morning at 10:PM.

Can we all thank Jarrod?

• TopBilled likes this

#209 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York is calling for applicants for a planned memorial that will honor the LGBT community and its' fight for equality.

He has set aside $800,000 for the project.

The deadline is November 21st of this year.

The memorial will be built in Hudson River Park in the West Village (NYC).

It's a great idea - and good luck to all. 

• TopBilled likes this

#210 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,165 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

I thought she had a long-time relationship with Janet Gaynor. The Jean Arthur angle is news to me.

This is a complicated subject because some people are bisexual--

I would definitely put Marlene Dietrich in the bisexual category.
  • rayban likes this

#211 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

The new biography of Mary Martin details her love affair with Jean Arthur.

And the author's contention that she was basically asexual.

Plus the fact that she was married to a gay man, who devoted his life to her "star persona".

Gay men often figure in the lives of prominent female stars.

I thought she had a long-time relationship with Janet Gaynor. The Jean Arthur angle is news to me.

• rayban likes this

#212 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

The new biography of Mary Martin details her love affair with Jean Arthur.

And the author's contention that she was basically asexual.

Plus the fact that she was married to a gay man, who devoted his life to her "star persona".

Gay men often figure in the lives of prominent female stars.

#213 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

The very real stardom of Tab Hunter invalidates the belief that a gay man cannot be persuasively masculine on the big screen.

Well, I think Rock Hudson also proved that.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#214 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

I managed to catch THE STEEL LADY on Amazon Prime a few months ago and I enjoyed it.

RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND was also on Amazon Prime, plus it aired on TCM a few years ago during one of Robert Osborne's medical leaves. Robert Wagner was the guest/replacement host that particular evening, which was devoted to Tab Hunter films. They played the western he made with Van Heflin which is very good (GUNMAN'S WALK). And when they got to the Treasure Island film, Wagner smiled wryly and said that all of them had to make these kinds of pictures when they were younger and paying their dues in Hollywood.

The very real stardom of Tab Hunter invalidates the belief that a gay man cannot be persuasively masculine on the big screen.

• TopBilled likes this

#215 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

I managed to catch THE STEEL LADY on Amazon Prime a few months ago and I enjoyed it.

RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND was also on Amazon Prime, plus it aired on TCM a few years ago during one of Robert Osborne's medical leaves. Robert Wagner was the guest/replacement host that particular evening, which was devoted to Tab Hunter films. They played the western he made with Van Heflin which is very good (GUNMAN'S WALK). And when they got to the Treasure Island film, Wagner smiled wryly and said that all of them had to make these kinds of pictures when they were younger and paying their dues in Hollywood.

• rayban likes this

#216 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Thanks, Jarrod -

E.A. Dupont, who was a successful silent-film director in Germany, directed Tab Hunter in "The Steel Lady" and "Return to Treasure Island".

Tab Hunter thinks that he was able to make something out of the non-existent budget of "The Steel Lady".

But Tab Hunter wasn't happy with the second film.

He jokes that, right after the film, his co-star, Dawn Addams married a prince and moved to Italy.

A friend told him that he shouldn't worry about the quality of the film, because it would only play in drive-in theaters.

But, as you watch both of these films, essentially low-budget programmers, you are witnessing "a star in the making".

Whatever Tab Hunter might have thought about his performances, he was definitely an actor whom you wanted to watch.

Watch, and appreciate. 

• TopBilled likes this

#217 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Good post, Ray. I like the idea of this thread.

• rayban likes this

#218 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Today, on TCM, two early Tab Hunter flicks that start at 12:30 in the afternoon - "The Steel Lady" (1953) and "Return To Treasure Island" (1954) - he was one of the most handsome men to ever grace the silver screen - and he had an extremely masculine presence on the silver screen, too.

Usually seen as a sex symbol for young girls in the '50's, he was that - and more.

Jack Warner, who never asked him about his sexual orientation, was a fan.

And he was one of the few stars to have actually survived a "Confidential" magazine expose.

I would like to recommend the current documentary, "Tab Hunter Confidential".

Despite the hostile environment at the time of his stardom, Mr. Hunter rarely addressed his sexuality, he managed to survive and be remembered.

An icon today, for gay men everywhere, who insisted on a life AND a career.

And who understood that "gay" did not mean "fairy".

5273a03d0682d70ab3f843093529c903-29397.j

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users