We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Breakdown of a Gag, Episode 8: Spoofs since 1970

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

I'm sad, too, that this is the last Breakdown of a Gag. What a great run! I'm already looking forward to the next class, Dr. Edwards.

Many thanks to Vince Cellini and to Dr. Edwards for putting these episodes together. They made the Slapstick class so much more enjoyable.

• HEYMOE likes this

#22 savaney

savaney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

I'm so sad that this is the last episode of 'Breakdown of a Gag'. I truly learned so much more than I initially knew. Although some of the older gags have a dated quality about them, I still find them more respectful than those of today. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Will Ferrell, but I have to admit he is a really funny guy. 

I think the older slapstick films have something very special about them, meaning you can go back, watch them, and find something new that you may have missed before. Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest spoofs ever made. It was respectful of the old Universal horror films of the 1930s, but it also became its own classic film, basically laying the template of how to make a proper and successful lampoon/parody/spoof. 

Thank you Vince and Dr. Edwards for the most enlightening and fascinating summer I've ever had.

• HEYMOE and Mandroid51 like this

#23 jay1458

jay1458

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

I like the older gags of Abbott & Costello better than that of Will Ferrell.. I'm not a big Ferrell fan however I do like some of his movies. I am feeling a little sad  knowing this is the last week for these films so if I want to see more I'll just have to put in a gag order for more. I've enjoyed everything from the silent era to recent films.

#24 ln040150

ln040150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

It's been a great...slip?
  • johnseury likes this

#25 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

I have seen Top Secret! (1984), and The Naked Gun (1988) before, but in this lesson when you give a thorough analysis with Vince Cellini in the other spoof movies, I feel that I am learning something that I have not acknowledged before when it comes to looking at a slapstick film more carefully. I thank you for the films that you ave selected and these videos, and I had a great time looking at the other side of these movies that I have not noticed before. 

• HEYMOE likes this

#26 Russell K

Russell K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

These were so great to watch and I am already starting to go into withdrawal, knowing this is my last fix.  Maybe it is Gag Reflex!   ;)

The telestrator was a great way to see these film clips in a different way.  And just as slapstick had many great pairings over the century - the OUCH students have had a great pairing in Cellini and Edwards.   Well done and truly memorable!

• HEYMOE likes this

#27 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

This is the last Breakdown of a Gag. I hope everyone enjoyed them. I am very thankful to Vince Cellini for being my partner on these videos. 

You can see the last Breakdown here: 

Please share your thoughts on spoofs in slapstick! We have some of the best slapstick spoofs ever made in the OUCH! Festival. 

Thanks everyone!

• jkbrenna, Mandroid51 and ScottZepher like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users