We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

A Place To Tell Dr. Edwards Thanks (and any one else you'd like to thank)

thanks Dr. Edwards goodbye

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 cinecrazydc

cinecrazydc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

Just wanted to say thanks again for another great course !  I completed the Film Noir course and was very impressed by the content and format.  The Slapstick course was equally good and I learned a lot of things that I didn't know much about.  

I am looking forward to future on-line courses on different genres as they become available.  Thanks to Dr. Edwards, Ball  State, Canvas and TCM for another successful film experience.  

CinecrazyDC

#2 rajmct01

rajmct01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, California

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

I just saw Beach Blanket Bingo again. They did a wonderful spoof of silent film slapstick with a face-paced chase with cars and motorcycles to save a kidnapped girl. She was going to be sawed in half by the villain. Buster Keaton was in it and had not lost his touch.
  • Rejana Raj likes this

#3 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationDubai, United Arab Emirates

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

Dear Dr.Edwards,

I would like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to learn the course on Slapstick comedy. It was a real treat for everyone. Most of all, I was glad to learn about the great comedians of Silent Film Era. It is through this course that I came to know more about comedy film makers Mack Sennett and Hal Roach. I really enjoyed watching all the video lectures including the videos by Dr. Wes Gehring , Daily doses of Doozies and The Breakdown of Gags. TCM is my favorite classic movie channel. 

"A Big Thank You"

Yours faithfully,

Rejana

• Dr. Rich Edwards and Mandroid51 like this

#4 Dee Major

Dee Major

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for a great experience -- my first on-line course and it was great fun.  And thank you for a last minute reprieve on the course ending deadline, I'm glad I got to officially finish it.

• Dr. Rich Edwards and Mandroid51 like this

#5 Martha S.

Martha S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks to Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, Vince Cellini, Greg Proops, and everyone at TCM, Ball State, and Canvas. Hope I'm not forgetting anybody. I really enjoyed the course and am looking forward to more. I look forward to looking back over the course and catching up on the readings I missed. Just wish I was a college student again instead of working full time so I could have spent more time on the class!

Martha

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards and Mandroid51 like this

#6 felipe1912t

felipe1912t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

I'd like to take this space to thank all of you envolved in one more exciting online course about some of the best works Hollywood has ever done. Last year we were all amazed by film noir, and this summer slapstick made us laugh and - most importantly - LEARN a lot.

Thanks to TCM, Canvas, Ball State University and, of course, Prof. Richard Edwards. Your commitment with us was a great value as always, and the modules couldn't be clearer and easier to use.

Hope to see you again next year!

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Mandroid51 and 1 other like this

#7 ellesmithfagan

ellesmithfagan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationConnecticut USA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

Just a big 'Thank you' for this opportunity!  

The format really works for me - I was able to go at my own pace and catch up , when my life interfered with the schedule.  I was able to review and perfect my grasp of the topic.

I was impressed with the teachers, images and videos ... a rich and quality presentation.  

I was impressed with the tech....ran like a top!

Will the Certificate be emailed?   Thanks again....Elle  Fagan, Elle Fagan Arts.    ( I nearly trashed my own blog for this and it was worth it...but I WAS tweaking the format for Apple News acceptance, and I'd better resume:  go clean up my mess from it and get it done :-)    ) 

Thanks again for the fun....I think I will make a blog entry at my own domain all about this class and similar. If you like suggest links I should include.

elle

• Dr. Rich Edwards likes this

Elle Smith Fagan
Elle Fagan Art
http://www.ellesmithfagan.com

#8 riffraf

riffraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

WOW! Thanks...free MIT online courses, who knew

Likewise double!!!  What a gold mine!!!  Thanks for sharing!!!!  Throw even more brandy!

• CynthiaV likes this

#9 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

And a special thanks to all of my classmates who's posts and commentaries helped make me think outside the box and from within a different pair of shoes! It's been a collective process and even when we don't agree...it gives pause for thought and as long as we are made aware of different perspectives, we keep learning. Thank you all! Now, brandy! Throw more brandy!!!

brandy with Brandy sounds good to me :)
  • riffraf and CynthiaV like this

#10 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

I really, really wish I could've dedicated more time to the course. Like with #NoirSummer, work and some personal situations prevented me from being more involved. But still, I enjoyed it a lot. From the course modules, write-ups, and videos to the forum interactions and contributions, and obviously the films!

I told Dr. Edwards on Twitter from the time he announced it, that his involvement in the course was a huge plus for me to enroll. As a matter of fact, it was right when I read that he would lead the course that I enrolled. I admire his enthusiasm and knowledge of film and I thank him for doing this once again. Just let me know when's the next one and I'll be there!

Obvious thanks to Vince Cellini and Wes Gehring for their contribution. And a big thumbs up to TCM!

Thanks also to anyone that followed me on Twitter. It was a pleasure, and hope to join all of you on the next course. I'm advocating for a horror course!! :D

Here here!
  • riffraf likes this

#11 Thief12

Thief12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

I really, really wish I could've dedicated more time to the course. Like with #NoirSummer, work and some personal situations prevented me from being more involved. But still, I enjoyed it a lot. From the course modules, write-ups, and videos to the forum interactions and contributions, and obviously the films!

I told Dr. Edwards on Twitter from the time he announced it, that his involvement in the course was a huge plus for me to enroll. As a matter of fact, it was right when I read that he would lead the course that I enrolled. I admire his enthusiasm and knowledge of film and I thank him for doing this once again. Just let me know when's the next one and I'll be there!

Obvious thanks to Vince Cellini and Wes Gehring for their contribution. And a big thumbs up to TCM!

Thanks also to anyone that followed me on Twitter. It was a pleasure, and hope to join all of you on the next course. I'm advocating for a horror course!!  :D

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Mandroid51 and 2 others like this

#12 riffraf

riffraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:39 PM

And a special thanks to all of my classmates who's posts and commentaries helped make me think outside the box and from within a different pair of shoes!  It's been a collective process and even when we don't agree...it gives pause for thought and as long as we are made aware of different perspectives, we keep learning. Thank you all!  Now, brandy!  Throw more brandy!!!

• Dr. Rich Edwards, Dubbed, Marianne and 2 others like this

#13 Desilu19x

Desilu19x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:36 PM

I want to thank Dr. Edwards, everyone who made this course possible and to my peers who have made this experience so enjoyable and enriching! I truly enjoyed this little journey and I couldn't be more grateful to everyone who made this possible and wonderful. Now I will be able to see comedy/slapstick in a much better light and appreciate it's beauty more. I do hope there will be more classes in the future, I am already looking forward to it! Thank you everyone, especially you Dr. Edwards for not only gracing us with your knowledge of movies, but for making us feel so comfortable, so at ease... this is more than just a class, it's a family!

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 2 others like this

#14 CynthiaV

CynthiaV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

Greetings;
Here is a link to another Film Study Course.

https://ocw.mit.edu/...ence-fall-2013/

WOW! Thanks...free MIT online courses, who knew
  • riffraf likes this

#15 riffraf

riffraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

This has been a very positive learning experience and fun to boot.  My many thanks to Dr. Rich Edwards, Dr. Wes Gehring and Vince Cellini for all your efforts to make learning slapstick film history such a rewarding and pleasant experience!  It has all been deeply appreciated and our collective knowledge of comedy on film has been elevated to a higher level of understanding and awareness of the creative process.  Thank you all so much!!!

• Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne, Mandroid51 and 1 other like this

#16 ilovetcmandslapstick

ilovetcmandslapstick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Greetings;

Here is a link to another Film Study Course.

https://ocw.mit.edu/...ence-fall-2013/

• GeezerNoir, riffraf, Marianne and 1 other like this

#17 Knuckleheads Return

Knuckleheads Return

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

My first comment is "When does the next course start?" I have helped many students over the years with their online classes but never took one myself. This has been a super experience for me. I want to thank Dr. Edwards, Vince Cellini, Dr.Gehring, the tech people who kept everything running, TCM and Ball State University. I learned many things about slapstick that I never knew. I enjoyed the many posts from my fellow students. I was very impressed with the level of knowledge that people exhibited and shared during the course. The one area that I found most interesting was the fact that so many authors and theorists have examined comedy / slapstick and have proposed ideas on how "it really affects us". I hope to read some of these other works to include those by Dr. Gehring. I hope that Dr. Edwards teaches another TCM course soon. I think that the Pre-Code history/ films of Hollywood might be very interesting. Best wishes to all and good luck to my fellow students!

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 1 other like this

#18 Dubbed

Dubbed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:01 AM

I possess an undying love for film and its history. I admire the artistic processes, sacrifices, and the finalities of artists' endeavors. And these statements are the exact reasons why I went full nerd (and I do mean full nerd) when I was informed of this Slapstick course. I did the same with the Film Noir course last year.

So, I cannot say thank you enough to Wes Gehring, Vince Cellini, TCM, Canvas, and most of all Dr. Edwards. Yes, Dr. Edwards. You are incredibly rich in both insight and knowledge of film. It's as though you were somehow transported from the film noir and slapstick decades- a direct link to these times past.

I cannot image the amount of time you lend to these courses; creating assignments, collaborating on videos, conducting live tweeting, etc. Thank you for your generosity in sharing yourself, your time, and your knowledge with all of us forever students of film. With both courses (Film Noir & Slapstick), I have gained so much more insight and knowledge, which I will carry with me into every theater/film viewing I attend.

And thank you to everyone within the threads. Your perspectives and insights further added to my understanding of film, broadening my own knowledge. Thank for each post, thank you for the conversations.

Many thanks to you all! Keep watching, everyone! Until next time! :)
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Larynxa and 1 other like this

#19 MyMoll

MyMoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:49 PM

Thank you Dr Edwards and everyone involved. I know courses take time and research.The course exceeded my expectations. Very well done! I look forward to the next one
  • riffraf and Dr. Rich Edwards like this

I'm NOT blogging #NoirSummer because it's over,
But I'm still blogging classic movies and Noir because
JOY LOVES OLD MOVIES
Follow me @ 
http://joysnoir.weebly.com

6751415_orig.jpg

#20 melkirsch

melkirsch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Thanks to Dr. Edwards, Ball State U., TCM, Canvas, Mr. Proops, Mr. Cellini and Wes Gehring for another fine and well-coordinated on-line course. As with the Film Noir class, I learned a great deal about the surprisingly many layers of film with this slapstick course. It ended all too soon. I especially enjoyed the Lucille Ball and Marx Brothers referenced material. The comments written by the other students on the TCM message boards shared some valuable insights as well.

This well-thought out concept of teaching truly makes learning fun. I am looking forward to other classes taught by these folks, Dr. Edwards, Ball State U., and TCM and Canvas.

Hitchcock anyone?

Best.

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Larynxa and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users