We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

A Place To Tell Dr. Edwards Thanks (and any one else you'd like to thank)

thanks Dr. Edwards goodbye

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

And I forgot to thank TCM, Ball State U, the Canvas Network and Greg P ... Thanks everyone

Just completed my final so now I'm looking forward to the next movie course. I'm putting in my vote for Science Fiction or Horror but I enjoyed this course so much I'm game for just about any future TCM sponsored course with Dr. Edwards. Thanks again.

I'd second that!
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards and CynthiaV like this

#22 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

From Robert Benchley's 1937 essay, "Why We Laugh - Or Do We?"

"In order to laugh at something, it is necessary (1) to know what you are laughing at, (2) to know why you are laughing, (3) to ask some people why they think you are laughing, (4) to jot down a few notes, (5) to laugh. Even then, the thing may not be cleared up for days."

It's been a pleasure interacting with you, Mandroid51.

You too! Thanks for the list. At first I thought Peter Benchley but did a double-take and realized it was Robert Benchley ;)
  • riffraf and Dr. Rich Edwards like this

#23 Larynxa

Larynxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

I must say it was quite a thrill to be able to use my illegitimate knowledge of slapstick history in legitimate ways---not least, as part of the one and only Fan Panel. We really must do more of them, because knowledge (if you'll pardon the expression) is like manure. It's useless unless you spread it around.

I found it very intellectually stimulating to learn from Dr. Edwards and from my fellow students, who find discovering new information as exciting as I do.

I'd love to see an online course focussed entirely on slapstick shorts, one on silent slapstick shorts, and another on just the Hal Roach Studios and/or Laurel & Hardy. Due to international rights issues preventing films from being aired on TCM outside the USA, it would be very helpful to have a private YouTube playlist of the films to be studied, accessible only by registered students. If we did a course on Laurel & Hardy, I could upload some of the super-rare international versions of their films. That would be really exciting!
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Mandroid51 and 1 other like this

#24 D'Arcy

D'Arcy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLake of the Ozarks

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

I am sad our class has come to an end. I find myself procrastinating and browsing all our discussion and saving a couple films on DVR for the next couple weeks and rewatching some during this spooky/spoofing holiday season.

I am so thankful for this opportunity to be part of this brilliantly prepared course by the wonderful Dr. Edwards and the key speakers Greg Proops, Vince Cellini, Dr. Wes Gehring, and slapstick peeps on discussion boards. The film lineups were spot on and provided a remarkable journey through the coming of age of slapstick. All I can think is WoW I have been blessed. Thank all of you so much for introducing me to new actors and movies and sharing all your knowledge. It's been fantastic. A fun fact: Groucho jokingly said once he wanted his epitaph to read "Excuse me, I can't stand up".
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 3 others like this

#25 Charlie's Girl

Charlie's Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

Thanks to Dr. Edwards, TCM, Canvas, and all who made this course possible.  It went so fast.  Seems like we just got started and now it's over.  It was a joy and I learned a lot.  I especially appreciated that the film offerings were shown on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings -- instead of all day on Friday, as was the case with the Film Noir course last year.  Because of that, I was able to watch many of the movies that were featured.  I'm looking forward to another course.  Can't  wait to see what's next!

#26 Higgs5

Higgs5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for a well planned, engaging curriculum.   Beyond learning about the evolution of comedy in film, I was instructed on how to evaluate films by identifying cinematic techniques, theatrical/literary devices, and acting.  As an added note, TCM aired about four Keaton films back to back this morning.  The other night I spotted three of the original Frankenstein horror films.  Anchorman 2 is airing as I write this.  I have plenty of opportunities to keep practicing what I’ve learned.

#27 CynthiaV

CynthiaV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

And I forgot to thank TCM, Ball State U, the Canvas Network and Greg P ... Thanks everyone

Just completed my final so now I'm looking forward to the next movie course. I'm putting in my vote for Science Fiction or Horror but I enjoyed this course so much I'm game for just about any future TCM sponsored course with Dr. Edwards. Thanks again.
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards and Mandroid51 like this

#28 jay1458

jay1458

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

I forgot to thank Mr. Cellini and Dr. Gehring and TCM for helping with this course. Here is a joke: Do you Know what you get when you have a werewolf on the beach? Answer, Sandy Claws

#29 jay1458

jay1458

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the insight on slapstick through the years it has help me have a better understanding of it. I look at the silent era comedies differently now and I really enjoyed the class. Maybe in the future we can explore science fiction because I really enjoy sci-fi.

#30 Wampus

Wampus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Dr. Edwards did a great job of putting slapstick in the context of cultural history and providing back stories on many of the famous and not-so-famous (at least to me) personages involved. Thank you. Can we call you the Muncie Movieologist?

I'd love to give a HUGE thanks to my friend Brad who agreed with me to enroll in this course and planned to watch the TCM programming with me. He flaked out so much that it inspired me to keep on top of things and complete the course. Just so he'd feel extra dopey.

And thanks, TCM. You're a great channel. I cannot wait for alternate methods of subscribing to your channel that don't involve cable/satellite providers.

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Mandroid51 and 2 others like this

#31 Whipsnade

Whipsnade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArroyo Grande, California

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:23 AM

This course has been a wonderful experience, and I would like to express my thanks to Dr. Rich Edwards, Ball State University, Canvas Network and Turner Classic Movies for having offered it. Additional thanks are offered to Dr. Wes Gehring and Vince Cellini for their valuable contributions. This is my first experience with an online course, and it was so compelling that I participated at a much higher level than I had expected.  The message boards really drew me in.  Thanks to my fellow students for their insightful comments.  The films were well chosen and supported the general thesis and its arguments (I did actually watch them all).  As a result, I saw lots of old films in a new light and a few films I had never seen.  The time has passed quickly.  My understanding of the history of slapstick comedy has been greatly increased.   I am saddened that it has ended but grateful that it was offered.

• drzhen, riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards and 3 others like this

#32 drzhen

drzhen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

Closing statement:

I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality. Thanks for taking the journey with me y'all. It was a hoot. Hope there's many takers (including everyone that was aboard) to Dr. Edwards future genre online-courses. Wink-nudge-poke HORROR is a nifty subject prof! ;) it really is though! Happy Halloween to everyone that appreciates a good scare!

Cheers!

From Robert Benchley's 1937 essay, "Why We Laugh - Or Do We?"

"In order to laugh at something, it is necessary (1) to know what you are laughing at, (2) to know why you are laughing, (3) to ask some people why they think you are laughing, (4) to jot down a few notes, (5) to laugh. Even then, the thing may not be cleared up for days."

It's been a pleasure interacting with you, Mandroid51.

• riffraf, Mandroid51, Larynxa and 1 other like this

#33 Larynxa

Larynxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

Closing statement:
I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality.

For most of my life, laughter has been both a shield and a sword. A few days ago, I went into the hospial for some rather extensive oral surgery that I didn't want to be awake for. Before they knocked me out, and after they woke me up, I was cracking jokes. And when I got home, I immersed myself in episodes of a slapstick horror-spoof kids' show I've loved since I was a kid: "Hilarious House of Frightenstein".

I appreciated it more now than when I was a kid, partly because of this course, and partly because, a week earlier, I met the show's only surviving cast member, and was interviewed for a documentary he's making about the show. Working title: "And Vincent Price Said Yes"!
  • riffraf, goingtopluto, Mandroid51 and 1 other like this

#34 Patti Zee

Patti Zee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:43 PM

I have so enjoyed every aspect of this course! Dr Edwards, thank you for bringing together such an enriching experience. And to all of my classmates, thank you so much for all of your ideas, knowledge and enthusiasm. It has been an honor to be among you. I would number myself among those who would like to see more online classes. The history of science fiction in film would be a very interesting subject. But I will be watching for ANY online film course taught by Dr.Edwards. Ciao for now everyone!
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 4 others like this

#35 goingtopluto

goingtopluto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Just finished my exam and passed the course. As mentioned by others it was a bittersweet experience. I always liked Lucille Ball, Abbott and Castillo, and Mel Brooks. However, I have to admit I was never a huge fan of slapstick per se but I enjoyed the film noir class so much I thought it would help me gain a better understanding of the genre and acquire an appreciation for it. This class certainly has done that! I met actors I had never known about befor and learned new things about old favorites. I learned to look for certain key points in slapstick and appreciate its history.

I would like to thank Dr. Edwards, Vince Cellini, Dr.Gehring, and all those behind the scene for making this a wonderful course. Dr.Edwards, you certainly have a gift explaining the complexity of film in a fun and easy to understand manner. Anytime you're ready to teach another class I'll be there. If you're open for suggestions I would love to see a science fiction/ fantasy /horror class. That's just a nerd in me, I would actually take any class you teach.

I would also like to thank my fellow students for all of the insightful post. It's always fun to see something with a different set of eyes.

Take care all. Watch out for flying pies and falling buildings.
  • riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 5 others like this

#36 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Closing statement:

I was going to develop a thesis type posting to formulate an opinion on why it is we laugh. I believe laughing is natures answer to being down and feeling in the dumps. A recognition of the soul that we are only human and have flaws and laughing awakens feelings of joy in our existence. We all share mortality. Thanks for taking the journey with me y'all. It was a hoot. Hope there's many takers (including everyone that was aboard) to Dr. Edwards future genre online-courses. Wink-nudge-poke HORROR is a nifty subject prof! ;) it really is though! Happy Halloween to everyone that appreciates a good scare!

Cheers!
  • riffraf, goingtopluto, JohnT3 and 2 others like this

#37 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thank you Dr. Edwards and crew for all the hard work to put this class together, your work is much appreciated. Growing up in the late 1940's and early 1950's, I mostly saw and liked Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx brothers, and the Three Stooges. Those were my guys. After the class I can much more appreciate Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd.

Suggestions for the next class:

1. Mysteries

2. Film development and history of other countries. I understand this could be not very popular. But in some ways foreign films are so different from American films.

Well, I don't know about the popularity of a course on film development and history in other countries, but I know I would enjoy it!

• riffraf likes this

#38 pestocat

pestocat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto California

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thank you Dr. Edwards and crew for all the hard work to put this class together, your work is much appreciated. Growing up in the late 1940's and early 1950's, I mostly saw and liked Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx brothers, and the Three Stooges. Those were my guys. After the class I can much more appreciate Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd.

Suggestions for the next class:

1. Mysteries

2. Film development and history of other countries. I understand this could be not very popular. But in some ways foreign films are so different from American films.

• riffraf, Marianne and JohnT3 like this

#39 Joe69

Joe69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

If you do this next year think about a topic involving precode Hollywood or the horror genre with emphasis on hammer horror.
  • riffraf, jay1458, JohnT3 and 2 others like this

#40 Bill Holmes

Bill Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I too must tip my cap to the wonderful work from all involved. I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up for Film Noir last year, but one interaction with Dr. Edwards showed that we would not only have expert guidance, but also be led by a fellow fan of the subject matter. Improving the video segments this year by incorporating more visual tools was a nice bonus. And it was a great surprise to see my old sports reporter fave Vince Cellini was a slapstick buff!

Like noir, I had already had broad exposure to a large portion of the filmography, but watching these films again with fresh eyes (and the comments from both instructors and fellow students) was a great pleasure. My personal schedule this Summer meant 2-3 visits a week instead of a daily plunge, but the material was structured so clearly and logically that doubling up on the "Daily Dose" was a pure joy.

I'm about to go through the final post and final exam and it's a bittersweet feeling - I wish it would continue for weeks. But absence makes the heart grow fonder - let's hope that next Summer we are immersed in a study of Westerns or crime films or science fiction! And with Dr. Edwards getting great assistance from experts like Eddie Muller (film noir) and Dr. Gehring (slapstick), we will once again be in great hands.

I'll try not to be a stranger on the boards during down time and hope some of my fellow students post occasionally as well.

• riffraf, Dr. Rich Edwards, Marianne and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users