We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM OnDemand/Live not playing in Linux Mint 18

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnniedoo

johnniedoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

I am now experiencing a similar situation with Win 7 pro.

As of the latest Mozilla Firefox update (ver. 50.1.0) and Adobe Flashplayer update (ver. 24.0.0.194) I can no longer sign-in to watch a TCM ON-DEMAND movie. Only TCM ON-DEMAND seems affected by these updates, everything else no problem.

I can use an earlier version of Mozilla and sign-in, but with the latest Flashplayer loaded I suddenly get very frequent "buffer-like" spining circles, and movie screen "black-outs". The Flash player crashes about 3 out of 4 attempts to watch an ON-DEMAND movie. And with the latest Mozilla update I can't even sign-in to watch anything ON-DEMAND.

Very bizarre. And way too typical of TCM.

you may have had an issue with the latest flash updates or shockwave. i have had this happen with my win7 prox64 machine.  I used chrome for a bit and next time i went to try fire fox it worked ok again.. over the years with turner, i have experienced a few periods of no TCM that resolved with time. i did not find out whether it was turner ,adobe, both or firefox too.

my issue with the Mint 18 build I just did has not gone away over months , while the  Mint 17 machine works just fine , and worked properly through the kernel updates 4.2.0-no need to change kernels beyond this currently. oh, well.  lucky i do keep computers around for movies, streaming things. do not need brand new or high power to simply stream video, watch dvd, blu ray though 4k  rendering may require higher power gpu for some video watching . i believe the tv can handle that if/when 4k streaming becomes standardized. but i am not there anyway and just guessing.

#2 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:35 PM

I have had and resolved streaming problems with TCM in Linux over the past 2yrs.

However, those fixes do not work in the fairly new Mint18 distribution.  I love Turner and do take advantage of the OnDemand site far more than the Live streaming.

I can playback turner in windows 7 and 10 no trouble .

I am not ab le to play any Turner movies in Firefox, Opera , Chrome in LInux. It is still a problem in Chrome in Windows 10 for that matter too.

I can play all other flash and html5 videos from Youtube, MeTv, Acorn Tv and many other places. Turner is the only place there is any trouble at all

I can log in, i enable flash but then there is something wrong, inside the Mint browsers that only happens to turner stuff. all others catch the flash or linux version of flash and work seamlessly

with turner, in firefox , the flash loads up and I allow it, then nothing but spinning wheels.

I have run the whole gamut of on line tutorials for flash, pipelight, pepperflash to no avail with turner.flash, shockwave, silverlight and silverlight substitute are all updated daily as are the browsers.and i enable them each in the terminal  command prior to trying to playback

I am not able to figure out why or how it is that turner site posed the issues I disable ghostery totally, adblocker plus is disabled, white listed as well. an ad blockers are either turned off or disabled and whitelisted to make sure. no luck

any help or direction would be appreciated

as i mentioned, the devilspie fix in prior versions of mint do not work nor do the other workarounds .

I am now experiencing a similar situation with Win 7 pro.

As of the latest Mozilla Firefox update (ver. 50.1.0) and Adobe Flashplayer update (ver. 24.0.0.194) I can no longer sign-in to watch a TCM ON-DEMAND movie. Only TCM ON-DEMAND seems affected by these updates, everything else no problem.

I can use an earlier version of Mozilla and sign-in, but with the latest Flashplayer loaded I suddenly get very frequent "buffer-like" spining circles, and movie screen "black-outs". The Flash player crashes about 3 out of 4 attempts to watch an ON-DEMAND movie. And with the latest Mozilla update I can't even sign-in to watch anything ON-DEMAND.

Very bizarre. And way too typical of TCM.

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

#3 FrankenSteam

FrankenSteam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Same here. Used to work on Linux Mint. Still plays on my old Windows XP machine. Good thing I saved it. Wish I had a better solution.

#4 johnniedoo

johnniedoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

I have had and resolved streaming problems with TCM in Linux over the past 2yrs.

However, those fixes do not work in the fairly new Mint18 distribution.  I love Turner and do take advantage of the OnDemand site far more than the Live streaming.

I can playback turner in windows 7 and 10 no trouble .

I am not ab le to play any Turner movies in Firefox, Opera , Chrome in LInux. It is still a problem in Chrome in Windows 10 for that matter too.

I can play all other flash and html5 videos from Youtube, MeTv, Acorn Tv and many other places. Turner is the only place there is any trouble at all

I can log in, i enable flash but then there is something wrong, inside the Mint browsers that only happens to turner stuff. all others catch the flash or linux version of flash and work seamlessly

with turner, in firefox , the flash loads up and I allow it, then nothing but spinning wheels.

I have run the whole gamut of on line tutorials for flash, pipelight, pepperflash to no avail with turner.flash, shockwave, silverlight and silverlight substitute are all updated daily as are the browsers.and i enable them each in the terminal  command prior to trying to playback

I am not able to figure out why or how it is that turner site posed the issues I disable ghostery totally, adblocker plus is disabled, white listed as well. an ad blockers are either turned off or disabled and whitelisted to make sure. no luck

any help or direction would be appreciated

as i mentioned, the devilspie fix in prior versions of mint do not work nor do the other workarounds .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users