We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

31 Days of Oscar 2017: A to Z

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

So could 31 Days of Oscar keep some of the regular specialized programming, like Oscar contending silent on Sunday evenings, followed by foreign films also nominated. Would make the month less different from the rest of the year. Just a thought.

#2 YabbaDabba

YabbaDabba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

I am liking the mix we're getting with the A-Z, it's been fairly good.  

Do agree about Dreamgirls.  I am one of those sticklers for the 25 year mark being used for classic movies.  So, Blazing Saddles would make it in - but not Dreamgirls.  

What has bugged me - I know they cannot put all the movies on On Demand.  But, for those of us without DVR, the ones in the middle of the night.....couldn't they just have some common courtesy for once?  I mean, I'm not staying up until 3:00 am to watch Mon Oncle D'Amerique - but if you're going to have it - to actually play a foreign movie (heaven forbid) - couldn't you at least make it MORE available?

#3 Clay V.

Clay V.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

Loved Blazing Saddles, but I thought it was a stretch putting it on TCM. Same with Dream Girls and Fame. We were disappointed that Lawrence Of Arabia was left off due to " time constraints". 

#4 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yesterday, while looking at the TCM schedule for films to be aired later this month, I noticed a 2nd film title for the 31 Days of Oscar 2017: A to Z which is out of place in the alphabetical listing: "I Vitelloni" (tranlation of the Italian title: "The Layabouts" - today we would probably say "The Slackers" - a slang meaning of the phrase which refers to fattened veal calves.) "I" is "the" in Italian. That means, for proper alphabetical listing, "I", the initial article in the title, is to be ignored for the purposes of alphabetizing. The film should have been alphabetized as "V." Unfortunately, whomever was in charge of placing the films to be shown in alphabetical order by title, plus whomever was in charge of proofreading the list were not familiar regarding Italian and how the title translated to Englsih.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

#5 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

At least with the 31 Days of Oscar 2017: A to Z organization, those titles beginning with an article (a, an, the - referred to as "an initial article" by those who study and know grammar and/or filing rules) have been alphabetically organized by ignoring the initial article. Unfortunately, one of the film tiltes with an initial article has been misplaced in the order: "La Ronde." It is a French film and "la" translates as "the" . . . translation of the title: "the circle" or "the round-about", meaning a dance called "a round," wherein the dancers move in a circle from partner to partner. The film "La Ronde" should have been placed in alphabetical order with those film titles beginning with "R."

Edited by Juanaquena, 07 February 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#6 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Soooo, I printed off a 31 Days schedule 2 weeks ago so I could set my DVR for favorites that air in the wee hours of the night.   I went to program Chariots of Fire, which was listed for  Sunday 5 Feb at 10PM, and that is now missing from the line up and replaced with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Where can I find the other changes to that schedule?      Anyone?

Sunday, February 5  7:15 AM Cain and Mabel (1936)  8:45 AM Calamity Jane (1953) 10:30 AM Camelot (1967)  1:45 PM Camille (1937)  3:45 PM Captain Blood (1935)  6:00 PM Captains Courageous (1937)  8:00 PM Casablanca (1942) 10:00 PM Chariots of Fire (1981) 12:15 AM Citizen Kane (1941)  2:30 AM Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980)  5:00 AM Comrade X (1940)

There are various reasons films are removed from the original schedule for a given month. There may be a memorial tribute that could preempt a bloc of movies (although I doubt that would happen during 31 Days of Oscar), or there might be rights issues with a given film. That could be what happened with CHARIOTS OF FIRE.

#7 Benjamina

Benjamina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Soooo, I printed off a 31 Days schedule 2 weeks ago so I could set my DVR for favorites that air in the wee hours of the night.   I went to program Chariots of Fire, which was listed for  Sunday 5 Feb at 10PM, and that is now missing from the line up and replaced with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Where can I find the other changes to that schedule?      Anyone?

Sunday, February 5  7:15 AM Cain and Mabel (1936)  8:45 AM Calamity Jane (1953) 10:30 AM Camelot (1967)  1:45 PM Camille (1937)  3:45 PM Captain Blood (1935)  6:00 PM Captains Courageous (1937)  8:00 PM Casablanca (1942) 10:00 PM Chariots of Fire (1981) 12:15 AM Citizen Kane (1941)  2:30 AM Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980)  5:00 AM Comrade X (1940) 

#8 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

I think it's the absolute worst schedule ever. 31 Days of Oscar is a bore in the first place since there's rarely any themes or premieres, but to put them in alphabetical order? As already stated, there's zero continuity.

I preferred when 31 Days grouped films by nomination category or by studio as previously mentioned. Another month for me to catch up on DVDs.

Holy cats! I thought I was seeing things. Alpha order? PU! This scheduling person or persons must have been to the wine club before they came up with this mish mosh of an idea. Yuck!
  • TikiSoo and mr6666 like this

#9 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Robert Osborne on 31 Days of Oscar, as originally published in the February 2017 edition of Now Playing magazine: http://www.tcm.com/t...-of-Oscar-.html.

"I'll right there watching with you," he writes.

New+York+City+Oscar+Party+Preview+qMslgl

• TopBilled likes this

#10 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

The kind of format used for '31 Days' by TCM doesn't bother me.  I did like it years ago when prior to the start of each film, the network put on the screen the number of nominations it received or what category/categories it won during that particular year's Oscar ceremony.  I'd like to see TCM revive that, since there is no studio host introducing the film(s) for a majority of the programming day.

• TikiSoo, mr6666, Arturo and 1 other like this

#11 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

I think it's the absolute worst schedule ever. 31 Days of Oscar is a bore in the first place since there's rarely any themes or premieres, but to put them in alphabetical order? As already stated, there's zero continuity.

I preferred when 31 Days grouped films by nomination category or by studio as previously mentioned. Another month for me to catch up on DVDs.

• mr6666 and jamesjazzguitar like this

#12 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

My favorite 31 Days of Oscar format was when it was done by studio, one by one. This was maybe 4-5 years ago.

That was 2013. It was my favourite format for Oscar-fest, too.

• Arturo likes this

#13 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

My favorite 31 Days of Oscar format was when it was done by studio, one by one. This was maybe 4-5 years ago.

#14 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

Monday, February 27

THREE COMRADES ('38)

THREE LITTLE WORDS ('50)

THE THREE MUSKETEERS ('48)

THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY ('61)

THE TIME MACHINE ('60)

THE TIME THE PLACE AND THE GIRL ('46)

T-MEN ('48)

TO BE OR NOT TO BE ('42)
TO EACH HIS OWN ('46)

TOM JONES ('63)

TOM, DICK AND HARRY ('41)

TOO YOUNG TO KISS ("51)

TOP HAT ('35)

Tuesday, February 28

TOPPER RETURNS ('41)

TORA! TORA! TORA! ('70)

TORCH SONG ('53)

TORPEDO RUN ('58)

TORTILLA FLAT ('42)

TRADER HORN ('30)

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE ('48)

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN ('45)

TRISTANA ('70)

TULSA ('49)

12 [TWELVE] ANGRY MEN ('57)

Wednesday, March 1

TWILIGHT OF HONOR ('63)

TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS ('27)

TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR ('44)

TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY ('51)

TWO WOMEN ('61)

UGETSU ('53)

UMBERTO D. ('53)

VACATION FROM MARRIAGE ('45)

VERTIGO ('58)

VICTOR VICTORIA ('82)

THE VIRGIN QUEEN ('55)

VIVACIOUS LADY ('38)

Thursday, March 2

VOICE IN THE WIND ('44)

WAIT UNTIL DARK ('67)

THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY ('42)

WATCH AGAINST THE RHINE ('43)

WATERLOO BRIDGE ('40)

WAY OUT WEST ('37)

WEARY RIVER ('29)

THE WEST POINT STORY ('50)

WEST SIDE STORY ('61)

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? ('62)

WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? ('32)

THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER ('44)

WHITE HEAT ('49)

Friday, March 3

WHITE SHADOWS IN THE SOUTH SEAS ('28)

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? ('66)

WILD STRAWBERRIES ('57)
THE WIND AND THE LION ('75)

A WOMAN IN THE DUNES ('64)

A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS ('28)

WOMAN OF THE YEAR ('42)

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ('74)
THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT ('67)

THE YOUNG IN HEART ('38)

Z ('69)

• TopBilled likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,204 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

I've often felt that the 31 Days of Oscar schedule is usually the easiest month of the year for the TCM programmers, because more often than not it's basically a 'TCM Greatest Hits' collection.

I like how you call these films TCM's Greatest Hits. And in addition to Oscar programming, that's really what the Essentials used to be.

• Barton_Keyes likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#16 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

​Tuesday, February 21

​PRIDE OF THE MARINES ('45)

PRIMROSE PATH ('40)

​PRINCESS O'ROURKE ('43)

​THE PRISONER OF ZENDA ('37)

​THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII ('33)

​THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX ('39)

THE PRIZEFIGHTER AND THE LADY ('33)

​THE QUIET MAN ('52)

THE RAZOR'S EDGE ('46)

​REAR WINDOW ('45)

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE ('55)

​THE RED DANUBE ('49)

​Wednesday, February 22

​RHAPSODY IN BLUE ('45)

RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY ('51)

​THE RICHEST GIRL IN THE WORLD ('34)

THE RISE AND FALL OF LEGS DIAMOND ('60)

​ROAD TO MOROCCO ('42)

ROBERTA ('35)

​ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS ('64)

ROMAN HOLIDAY ('53)
​A ROOM WITH A VIEW ('85)

​THE RULING CLASS ('72)

RUNNING ON EMPTY ('88)

​SADIE THOMPSON ('28)

​Thursday, February 23

​SAN ANTONIO ('45)

SAN FRANCISCO ('36)

​THE SANDPIPER ('65)

SCROOGE ('70)

​THE SEA HAWK ('40)

THE SEA WOLF ('41)

​SECOND CHORUS ('40)

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS ('54)

​THE SEVEN-PER-CENT SOLUTION ('76)

SHAFT ('71)

​SHALL WE DANCE ('37)

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON ('49)

​Friday, February 24

​THE SHEEPMAN ('58)

SHENANDOAH ('65)

​SHOW BOAT ('51)

THE SILVER CHALICE ('54)

​SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE ('76)

​SMALL TOWN GIRL ('53)

SOME LIKE IT HOT ('59)

​SPARTACUS ('60)

​SPEEDY ('28)

THE SPRIT OF ST. LOUIS ('57)

​SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS ('61)

​Saturday, February 25

​STAGE DOOR ('37)

STAGECOACH ('39)

​A STAR IS BORN ('54)

THE STORY OF G.I. JOE ('45)

​STRANGERS ON A TRAIN ('51)

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE ('51)

​SUMMER OF '42 ('71)

​THE SUNDOWNERS ('60)

SWING TIME ('36)
​A TALE OF TWO CITIES ('35)

THE TENDER TRAP ('35)

​Sunday, February 26

​TEST PILOT ('38)

THAT GIRL FROM PARIS ('36)

​THAT HAMILTON WOMAN ('41)

​THAT MAN FROM RIO ('64)

THEM! ('54)

​THEY WERE EXPENDABLE ('45)

THE THIN MAN ('34)

​THE THIRD MAN ('49)

THIRTY SECONDS OVER TOKYO ('44)

​A THOUSAND CLOWNS ('65)

THOUSANDS CHEER ('43)

#17 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

Interesting this schedule was available so early. It was probably one of the easiest ones they did-- since there is no major theme-- just take the titles and sort them alphabetically and plug them into the grid.

I think people will be upset it's mostly the usual suspects. There is only one Republic title on the schedule, and Republic had dozens of Oscar-nominated films.

I also felt they could have included more foreign and more silent films. The most recent title I saw was DREAMGIRLS from 2006. They seem to have largely stayed away from movies made after 2000 this time.

I've often felt that the 31 Days of Oscar schedule is usually the easiest month of the year for the TCM programmers, because more often than not it's basically a 'TCM Greatest Hits' collection.

Yes, it is mostly the usual suspects. And of the films from outside the traditional TCM library, a lot of those films are already airing in January (REAR WINDOW, THE LOST WEEKEND, etc.). So even with those films there's a lot of reruns.

I was surprised that DREAMGIRLS was the only post-2000 film on the schedule. In fact, it's the only post-1990 film on the schedule. TCM completely skips over the '90s this time around, which seems to me an unusual decision.

Having said that, there's a lot of good stuff on the schedule regardless. As easy as it is to criticize TCM's programming, it's really pretty hard to find fault with. What I've always loved about TCM is the diversity of its programming. Take the schedule for February 23 as an example -- SHAFT is followed by SHALL WE DANCE. You just don't get that kind of eclectic mix anywhere else on television.

• TopBilled likes this

#18 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

Thursday, February 16

MADAME CURIE ('43)

MADAME X ('29)

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS ('42)

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION ('54)

THE MAGNIFICENT YANKEE ('50)
A MAJORITY OF ONE ('61)

THE MALTESE FALCON ('41)
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH ('56)

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE ('62)

McCABE & MRS. MILLER ('71)

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS ('44)

MERRILY WE LIVE ('38)

Friday, February 17

THE MERRY WIDOW ('34)

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM ('35)

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG ('49)

MILDRED PIERCE ('45)

MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID ('52)

MIN AND BILL ('30)

THE MIRACLE OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA ('52)

THE MIRACLE WORKER ('62)

MISTER ROBERTS ('55)

MOGAMBO ('53)

MON ONCLE D'AMERIQUE ('80)

MONSIEUR VERDOUX ('47)

Saturday, February 18

THE MOON IS BLUE ('53)

MORNING GLORY ('33)

MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA ('47)

MRS. MINIVER ('42)

THE MUSIC BOX ('32)

THE MUSIC MAN ('62)

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY ('35)

NETWORK ('76)
THE NEW LAND ('73)

NINOTCHKA ('39)

Sunday, February 19

NORTH BY NORTHWEST ('59)

NOW, VOYAGER ('42)

THE NUN'S STORY ('59)
OF MICE AND MEN ('39)

OH GOD! ('77)

ON THE TOWN ('49)

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES ('76)

PAPILLON ('73)

PAT AND MIKE ('52)

A PATCH OF BLUE ('65)
THE PATENT LEATHER KID ('27)

Monday, February 20

PENNY SERENADE ('41)

THE PERILS OF PAULINE ('47)

PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT ('62)

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY ('40)

THE PINK PANTHER ('63)
THE PIRATE ('48)

A PLACE IN THE SUN ('51)
POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES ('61)

POLTERGEIST ('82)
POSSESSED ('47)

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE ('40)

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,204 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

Interesting this schedule was available so early. It was probably one of the easiest ones they did-- since there is no major theme-- just take the titles and sort them alphabetically and plug them into the grid.

I think people will be upset it's mostly the usual suspects. There is only one Republic title on the schedule, and Republic had dozens of Oscar-nominated films.

I also felt they could have included more foreign and more silent films. The most recent title I saw was DREAMGIRLS from 2006. They seem to have largely stayed away from movies made after 2000 this time.

• mr6666 likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#20 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:52 AM

Saturday, February 11

THE GREEN GODDESS ('30)

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER ('67)

GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL ('57)