We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Nosferatu (1922)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Isn't it ironic that what is considered one of the greatest horror movies of the silent era was made without permission from Bram Stoker's estate?

Stoker's state wanted all the copies of the film destroyed

• cinemaspeak59 and Natalie Webb like this

#2 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

Isn't it ironic that what is considered one of the greatest horror movies of the silent era was made without permission from Bram Stoker's estate?

• cinemaspeak59, jaragon and Natalie Webb like this

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#3 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

Although this was not my favorite Dracula film, Nosferatu (1922) was a unique watch. It had some very creepy scenes and memorable shots; I only wish I could see it in a tinted version, I saw the black and white with no tinting. I read somewhere that it had some vivid red scenes which I imagine would have worked perfectly in this movie! I liked the night scene when a door is opened and Nosferatu is standing out on the other side just looking scary! He didn't even have to move, just the sight of him standing there was eerie.

• cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,340 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Just finished watching and definitely a scary movie.

I think the novel, "Dracula", was more about sex and repression and Victorian England with some amount of horror.

The 1931 movie with Bela has some sex and more horror.

But this film is much more horrific and is even anti-Semitic.  Not as much about sex as the novel and movie, "Dracula".

So for horror and Halloween, "Nosferatu" is the one.

A large component of the novel Dracula that isn't often broached due to its unseemliness is that it was a veiled attack on East European immigration and a perception by some at the time that Britain's "character" was being diminished by unwelcome, unwholesome Eastern European aristocracy and their "unclean habits and moral degradation". Dracula in the novel arrives in Britain and immediately seduces the young Englishwomen with his Continental manner and sexual allure, which he uses to lure them into "moral turpitude." Many in Western Europe, especially Victorian Britain, felt that the younger generations were being led astray by the encroachment of unwanted foreigners.

• DJBeacon likes this

#5 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

Just finished watching and definitely a scary movie.

I think the novel, "Dracula", was more about sex and repression and Victorian England with some amount of horror.

The 1931 movie with Bela has some sex and more horror.

But this film is much more horrific and is even anti-Semitic.  Not as much about sex as the novel and movie, "Dracula".

So for horror and Halloween, "Nosferatu" is the one.

• LawrenceA likes this

#6 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:22 PM

I just recorded the other night so I can watch again.  I think it was on TCM very late.

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

It's almost a hundred years old but this movie still is a chilling telling of  "Dracula" .  The creature is the stuff of nightmares.https://youtu.be/0LOOhc2eML4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users