We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Cameraman (1928)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

Her and Buster Keaton had great chemistry.  She was obviously beautiful in the film, but also good-natured.  She enlivened every scene she was in.

Yes, the two of them made a very nice pair in the film, it's a shame they didn't do more together.Annex%20-%20Keaton,%20Buster%20(Camerama

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#2 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Nice to see some love for Marceline Day. I think she's rather underrated (and unfairly so).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-14%2Bat%2B10.15.

Her and Buster Keaton had great chemistry.  She was obviously beautiful in the film, but also good-natured.  She enlivened every scene she was in.

• TopBilled and Natalie Webb like this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,882 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Nice to see some love for Marceline Day. I think she's rather underrated (and unfairly so).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-14%2Bat%2B10.15.

• BelleLeGrand1 and cinemaspeak59 like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

The Cameraman is Buster Keaton at his finest.  And what a leading lady in Marceline Day.  Her graceful expressions and protective attitude toward Keaton make us root for a happy ending.  I particularly love the way she says "Buster" (making lip reading quite easy) when calling out to him from the crowded swimming pool.  And then again, "Buster",  when she tips him off to a gang war in Chinatown, so he can get valuable newsreel footage, and finally break into the business.

Keaton is shown as a decent man, small in physical stature, bullied and humiliated by giant jerks.   There's a great scene, so funny,   in which Keaton is trying to get into his bathing suit, when a rude, burly guy barges into Buster's cramped dressing room, and the two of them are maneuvering to get changed, as clothes are flying, and poor Buster endures elbows, kicks, punches, and other physical abuse. 

Yet he manages to slip into what looks like a bathing dress.  It does the trick, at least for a little while.  The uproarious swimming pool action looks so inviting, I wish I could have partaken in the fun.  The Cameraman helps close out the Silent Era with a flourish.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users