We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Stupid Science

• Please log in to reply
1147 replies to this topic

#1 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 AM

U.S. farmers confused by Monsanto weed killer's complex instructions

With Monsanto Co's latest flagship weed killer, dicamba, banned in Arkansas and under review by U.S. regulators over concerns it can drift in the wind, farmers and weed scientists are also complaining that confusing directions on the label make the product hard to use safely.

Dicamba, sold under different brand names by BASF and DuPont , can vaporize under certain conditions and the wind can blow it into nearby crops and other plants. The herbicide can damage or even kill crops that have not been genetically engineered to resist it.

To prevent that from happening, Monsanto created a 4,550-word label with detailed instructions. Its complexity is now being cited by farmers and critics of the product. It was even singled out in a lawsuit as evidence that Monsanto's product may be virtually impossible to use properly.

You get to read a novel and kill weeds at the same time, this is America at its finest.

Can see Monsanto hires "fine print" bureaucrats.

#2 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

U.S. farmers confused by Monsanto weed killer's complex instructions

With Monsanto Co's latest flagship weed killer, dicamba, banned in Arkansas and under review by U.S. regulators over concerns it can drift in the wind, farmers and weed scientists are also complaining that confusing directions on the label make the product hard to use safely.

Dicamba, sold under different brand names by BASF and DuPont , can vaporize under certain conditions and the wind can blow it into nearby crops and other plants. The herbicide can damage or even kill crops that have not been genetically engineered to resist it.

To prevent that from happening, Monsanto created a 4,550-word label with detailed instructions. Its complexity is now being cited by farmers and critics of the product. It was even singled out in a lawsuit as evidence that Monsanto's product may be virtually impossible to use properly.

You get to read a novel and kill weeds at the same time, this is America at its finest.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#3 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 AM

Meteorologist: Global temperatures cooler now than when Al Gore won Nobel Prize

Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Sequel” is being greeted by some very inconvenient data.

“Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize based on warnings of future events – the same future events that have not happened,” meteorologist Joe **** of Weatherbell Analytics said.

“The fact is that global temperatures from 2006-2007 – while Gore was basking in the glory of his apocalypse-driven fame – were warmer than they are now, and we are still falling off the Super El Niño peak. Additionally, much of the time in-between was lower than what it was in the run-up to ‘An Inconvenient Truth.’ ”

As Climate Depot reported on Aug. 2, the former vice president’s lavish home in Nashville uses “up to 34 times the national average” of energy “despite costly green renovations.”

Looks like it has not been a good month for Gore.

Al Gore's house uses 34 times the national average for energy and they gave him a Nobel prize? They never practice what they preach, it was all about becoming rich.

#4 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Don't let climatologists study global warming, just let the

collective "genius" of the American people decide the issue.

• NipkowDisc likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#5 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

UcpfGkHu_bigger.jpg CafeNetAmerica‏ @cafenetamerica 55m55 minutes ago

Al Gore Humiliation=> New Study Proves Earth Was Warmer During Medieval Times http://dlvr.it/PgqnP2  #tcotDH16SebUQAE1azi.jpg

His latest movie-documentary on climate change is a big flop at the box office, too...

razzies-2016.jpg?itok=xQLYFTqO

#6 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

UcpfGkHu_bigger.jpg CafeNetAmerica @cafenetamerica 55m55 minutes ago

Al Gore Humiliation=> New Study Proves Earth Was Warmer During Medieval Times http://dlvr.it/PgqnP2  #tcotDH16SebUQAE1azi.jpg

His latest movie-documentary on climate change is a big flop at the box office, too...

• NipkowDisc likes this

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen. Exodus 33:23

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#7 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

UcpfGkHu_bigger.jpg CafeNetAmerica @cafenetamerica 24m24 minutes ago

PEW SURVEY: Only 28% of Americans believe scientists understand causes of climate… http://dlvr.it/Pgr5Jr  #climatechange via @ClimateDepotDH2FvtRV0AAEJ8i.jpg

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen. Exodus 33:23

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#8 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,297 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Well, I really WASN'T expecting an intelligent sounding explanation.  Or ANY alternative explanation to my query.

Sepiatone

my point is that the hollywood left celebs have been helping to push this sheet on the rest of us since the 1960s and they would be the first ones to exempt themselves from the restrictions they would have others place on the the rest of us...

totally hypocritical. they wanna give their hypocritical posteriors a pass from what they would cheer others putting on the rest of us!

uh uh! they can run up an alley and holler fish, the phony schtootzes!  :D

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#9 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Well, I really WASN'T expecting an intelligent sounding explanation.  Or ANY alternative explanation to my query.

Sepiatone

Sepia, I have a link in my signature area.  Just for these kinds of questions.  An independent source, and they specifically don't accept any money from corporate grants, government funding, tax breaks, kick-backs, foundations, or otherwise laundered money.  It kind of sounds different than the rest.

Moviecollector's Corner                                                                                               Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#10 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

it is irrelevant! climate change or no. the industrialized world will never repudiate modern industrialization which is what the leftist climate changers want.

the hollywood celebs? they will just hand over all their land and properties to the homeless and go live in caves to heal the earth, right?

the concessions from the masses the climate changers want...no, demand...the hollywood left would never accede to themselves!

but they expect the rest of us to?...

nuts. bleepin' hypocrites.

let us see robert redford sell all that he has and go live in a fema trailer. think he will? I doan.

so put all your climate change hysteria in a brown paper bag and smile, smile, smile.  :lol:

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#11 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

Asian carp found near Lake Michigan got past barriers

An adult Asian carp found in a Chicago waterway near Lake Michigan this summer began its life far downstream and apparently got around a series of electric barriers intended to keep the invasive species out of the Great Lakes, officials said Friday.

Autopsy results and a scientific analysis showed the silver carp, which was caught June 22, was a 4-year-old male that originated in the Illinois/Middle Mississippi watershed, according to the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee, a coalition of government agencies.

"We're pretty darn confident a fish of this size would be incapacitated going through" the barriers, Wooley said, adding, "We're baffled and we just don't know how it got there."

Too bad, the fish isn't talking.

I heard it goes great with rice. Yum!

http://www.huffingto..._n_6324896.html

27129_l.jpg

#12 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

Surprising discovery: Smog may help slow down global warming temporarily

Tourists come to Los Angeles to take in the sights of the downtown skyline and the iconic Hollywood sign, but what they don't expect to see is the traffic and smog.

The particulates found in air pollution may have kept temperatures lower, according to scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

"They either reflect sunlight back to space or they absorb sunlight from the atmosphere. Both effects prevent sunlight from getting to the surface of the Earth," said Mika Tosca, a researcher at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Tosca studied satellite data and temperatures in the southeastern United States going back to the 19th century. She says temperatures there have risen in the last 15 years as the amount of air pollution has been reduced.

Now they claim smog is good for global warming? I can't believe people are being paid to come up with this stuff.

Here's a related article.  Sulfur dioxide reflect solar radiation whether if it's man made or from a volcano.

https://www.wired.co...geoengineering/

SO2 in yellow.

574776main_StratoAerosolProcess-1600.jpg

Thinking about that movie "Snowpiercer" again.

#13 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Surprising discovery: Smog may help slow down global warming temporarily

Tourists come to Los Angeles to take in the sights of the downtown skyline and the iconic Hollywood sign, but what they don't expect to see is the traffic and smog.

The particulates found in air pollution may have kept temperatures lower, according to scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

"They either reflect sunlight back to space or they absorb sunlight from the atmosphere. Both effects prevent sunlight from getting to the surface of the Earth," said Mika Tosca, a researcher at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Tosca studied satellite data and temperatures in the southeastern United States going back to the 19th century. She says temperatures there have risen in the last 15 years as the amount of air pollution has been reduced.

Now they claim smog is good for global warming? I can't believe people are being paid to come up with this stuff.

#14 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

Asian carp found near Lake Michigan got past barriers

An adult Asian carp found in a Chicago waterway near Lake Michigan this summer began its life far downstream and apparently got around a series of electric barriers intended to keep the invasive species out of the Great Lakes, officials said Friday.

Autopsy results and a scientific analysis showed the silver carp, which was caught June 22, was a 4-year-old male that originated in the Illinois/Middle Mississippi watershed, according to the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee, a coalition of government agencies.

"We're pretty darn confident a fish of this size would be incapacitated going through" the barriers, Wooley said, adding, "We're baffled and we just don't know how it got there."

Too bad, the fish isn't talking.

• laffite likes this

#15 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,297 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm kinda TIRED of all your global warming "scam" horsepucky.

If it's so, then how would YOU explain all the meteorological and climate "norm" anomolies we've been experiencing and enduring these last 20 or so years?

Sepiatone

it is irrelevant! climate change or no. the industrialized world will never repudiate modern industrialization which is what the leftist climate changers want.

the hollywood celebs? they will just hand over all their land and properties to the homeless and go live in caves to heal the earth, right?

the concessions from the masses the climate changers want...no, demand...the hollywood left would never accede to themselves!

but they expect the rest of us to?...

nuts. bleepin' hypocrites.

let us see robert redford sell all that he has and go live in a fema trailer. think he will? I doan.

so put all your climate change hysteria in a brown paper bag and smile, smile, smile.  :lol:

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#16 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I'm kinda TIRED of all your global warming "scam" horsepucky.

If it's so, then how would YOU explain all the meteorological and climate "norm" anomolies we've been experiencing and enduring these last 20 or so years?

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#17 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Fallen forensics: Judges routinely allow disavowed science

Some of that science — analysis of bite marks, latent fingerprints, firearms identification, burn patterns in arson investigations, footwear patterns and tire treads — was once considered sound, but is now being denounced by some lawyers and scientists who say it has not been studied enough to prove its reliability and in some cases has led to wrongful convictions.

Even so, judges nationwide continue to admit such evidence regularly.

"Courts — unlike scientists — rely too heavily on precedent and not enough on the progress of science," said Christopher Fabricant, director of strategic litigation for the Innocence Project. "At some point, we have to acknowledge that precedent has to be overruled by scientific reality."

After reading how "scientists" are relying on precedent when it comes to the global warming scam, you can't claim they are better than out court system.

140611115521-01-oj-simpson-trial-splits-

#18 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

Fallen forensics: Judges routinely allow disavowed science

Some of that science — analysis of bite marks, latent fingerprints, firearms identification, burn patterns in arson investigations, footwear patterns and tire treads — was once considered sound, but is now being denounced by some lawyers and scientists who say it has not been studied enough to prove its reliability and in some cases has led to wrongful convictions.

Even so, judges nationwide continue to admit such evidence regularly.

"Courts — unlike scientists — rely too heavily on precedent and not enough on the progress of science," said Christopher Fabricant, director of strategic litigation for the Innocence Project. "At some point, we have to acknowledge that precedent has to be overruled by scientific reality."

After reading how "scientists" are relying on precedent when it comes to the global warming scam, you can't claim they are better than our court system.

#19 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

What will happen if you look at the solar eclipse without glasses

A complete solar eclipse is said to be so awe-inspiring that people who experience one become addicts. On Monday (Aug. 21), a wide swath of the US will get to view such an event.

For those in the path of “totality,” when the moon completely blocks the sun’s face and reveals its corona, it will be safe for a few minutes to look directly at the eclipse with your naked eyes, according to NASA.

But most of the US isn’t in that path. For all those people, to look even for a moment without certified protective eyewear can cause permanent damage.

NASA is saying it's OK to look at the sun for a few minutes without protection? I'm guessing none of them will be doing it unless they're looking to go on disability.

#20 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hurricane Names Go Politically Correct

The World Meteorological Organization began naming tropical storms after women in 1953. That made sense to scientists at the time who thought women and storms were both unpredictable. After feminist groups protested, men’s names were added in 1979.

The National Weather Service says hurricane names are derived from languages spoken in areas that border the Atlantic Ocean, where such storms occur. Yet that doesn’t explain why Gaston, Ernesto and Cindy were chosen and Antwon, Destiny and Latonya were passed over. Lee said she hoped in the future the weather establishment “would try to be inclusive of African American names.”

Now they are even naming summer storms on the Weather channel that nobody else cares about. There is no end to how far this stuff will go.

Big Cloud  Pinwheel Number 7 for 2017.

060622_katrinasatellite_hmed_8a.grid-6x2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users