We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Stupid Science

• Please log in to reply
1120 replies to this topic

#581 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

U.S. Northeast Braces for Blizzard Threatening Outages, Travel Snarls

Forecasters put the U.S. East Coast from New York City to Boston on blizzard warning starting as early as Monday night, with authorities advising residents to prepare for the possibility of widespread power outages, road closures and flight disruptions.

Weather experts predicted the region could see 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 cm) of wind-blasted snow from Monday to early Wednesday with temperatures 15 to 30 degrees below normal.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced preparations for the so-called Nor'easter storm, activating the state Emergency Operations Center as of Monday night while also directing state agencies to be on heightened alert.

After scaring us about a warm February, the 'scientists" will have to wait out freezing blizzards until the next warm spell.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#582 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

NASA and McDonalds making french fries on Mars, I can see it now.

So, we've gone back to calling them FRENCH FRIES again?  And not that stupid "Freedom fries" idea from 14 years ago?

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#583 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

How to Deflect Killer Asteroids With Spray Paint.

https://www.wired.co...ting-asteroids/

I suggest using Dutch Boy - long lasting, durable. :P

15aa39f7bf0df0796adac65c6822b988.jpg

But if NASA wants to save a little money....

asteroid-spray-paint-can-27364234.jpg

#584 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

2020 will be a time of conflict in America.

To Peter Turchin, who studies population dynamics at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, the appearance of three peaks of political instability at roughly 50-year intervals starting with the U.S. Civil War is not a coincidence. For the past 15 years, Turchin has been taking the mathematical techniques that once allowed him to track predator-prey cycles in forest ecosystems, and applying them to human history.

He has analyzed historical records on economic activity, demographic trends and outbursts of violence in the United States, and has come to the conclusion that a new wave of internal strife is already on its way. The peak should occur in about 2020, he says, and will probably be at least as high as the one in around 1970. “I hope it won’t be as bad as 1870,” he adds.

This is in accordance with the timing suggested by Strauss–Howe generational theory. The fact that: 2020 is a major election year and both major parties are becoming increasingly radicalized gives me cause to pause and ponder.

The 1960's was not known to been a tranquil decade.

Wattsriots-burningbuildings-loc.jpg

#585 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

2020 will be a time of conflict in America.

To Peter Turchin, who studies population dynamics at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, the appearance of three peaks of political instability at roughly 50-year intervals starting with the U.S. Civil War is not a coincidence. For the past 15 years, Turchin has been taking the mathematical techniques that once allowed him to track predator-prey cycles in forest ecosystems, and applying them to human history.

He has analyzed historical records on economic activity, demographic trends and outbursts of violence in the United States, and has come to the conclusion that a new wave of internal strife is already on its way. The peak should occur in about 2020, he says, and will probably be at least as high as the one in around 1970. “I hope it won’t be as bad as 1870,” he adds.

This is in accordance with the timing suggested by Strauss–Howe generational theory. The fact that: 2020 is a major election year and both major parties are becoming increasingly radicalized gives me cause to pause and ponder.

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#586 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Then there's the original.

drwingnut-looping.gif

• Sepiatone likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#587 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Baked potato with perchorate topping....yum! 

http://www.space.com...-chemicals.html

#588 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

Spuds in space: We probably can grow Mars potatoes, says new study

Two years after a humble potato patch co-starred in "The Martian," scientists have found that fictional astronaut Mark Watney’s strategy for surviving on the Red Planet could actually work.

Early last year, a spud was planted in soil from Peru’s Pampas de La Joya desert, which boasts “the most Mars-like soils found on Earth,” according to NASA scientist Chris McKay. The experiment, sponsored by the International Potato Center (CIP), took place in a CubeSat built by Peru’s University of Engineering and Technology (UTEC) with guidance from NASA’s Ames Research Center.

“If the crops can tolerate the extreme conditions that we are exposing them to in our CubeSat, they have a good chance to grow on Mars,” explains UTEC’s Julio Valdivia-Silva.

NASA and McDonalds making french fries on Mars, I can see it now.

#589 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Arctic weather in March with snowstorms this time of year in the Northeast.

Floods in Texas and California.

Antarctica melting.

This has GOT to be one of the most elaborately executed "scams" I've EVER seen!

Sepiatone

#590 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

Here's another one.

T677-CFW-WAOL-2-00_640.jpg

#591 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:33 AM

As a "wingnut" (the accepted nickname for Detroit Red Wings fans), I'm not sure if I should resent that or not.  ;)

Sepiatone

WingnutsChicken Wings, BBQ, Salads, Restaurant & Bar! 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wingnuts-costa-mesa

Wingnuts-Restaurant-5.jpg

#592 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Could Mysterious Cosmic Light Flashes Be Powering Alien Spacecraft?

Bizarre flashes of cosmic light may actually be generated by advanced alien civilizations, as a way to accelerate interstellar spacecraft to tremendous speeds, a new study suggests.

Astronomers have catalogued just 20 or so of these brief, superbright flashes, which are known as fast radio bursts (FRBs), since the first one was detected in 2007. FRBs seem to be coming from galaxies billions of light-years away, but what's causing them remains a mystery.

"Fast radio bursts are exceedingly bright given their short duration and origin at great distances, and we haven't identified a possible natural source with any confidence," study co-author Avi Loeb, a theorist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said in a statement Thursday (March 9). "An artificial origin is worth contemplating and checking."

Now even the astronomers are believing in UFO's.

The first pulsar discovered was mistaken for that.  Don't understand phenomenon- blame aliens.

https://www.aps.org/...602/history.cfm

pulsar-o.gif

#593 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

As a "wingnut" (the accepted nickname for Detroit Red Wings fans), I'm not sure if I should resent that or not.  ;)

Sepiatone

I didn't know that. I've never been a hockey fan. Of course

I was referring to the political usage--right wing nut job.

#594 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Could Mysterious Cosmic Light Flashes Be Powering Alien Spacecraft?

Bizarre flashes of cosmic light may actually be generated by advanced alien civilizations, as a way to accelerate interstellar spacecraft to tremendous speeds, a new study suggests.

Astronomers have catalogued just 20 or so of these brief, superbright flashes, which are known as fast radio bursts (FRBs), since the first one was detected in 2007. FRBs seem to be coming from galaxies billions of light-years away, but what's causing them remains a mystery.

"Fast radio bursts are exceedingly bright given their short duration and origin at great distances, and we haven't identified a possible natural source with any confidence," study co-author Avi Loeb, a theorist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said in a statement Thursday (March 9). "An artificial origin is worth contemplating and checking."

Now even the astronomers are believing in UFO's.

#595 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Wetter Red Planet? Ancient Mars May Have Had More Water Than Thought

Mars may have harbored even more liquid water on its surface in the ancient past than scientists had thought, a new study suggests.

Mars meteorites commonly contain a mineral called merrillite, which is regarded as an indicator of dry environments. But some of the merrillite in Mars meteorites may actually have been converted from a "wet" mineral called whitlockite by the asteroid impacts that blasted the Red Planet rocks toward Earth, the study indicated.

"If even a part of merrillite had been whitlockite before, it changes the water budget of Mars dramatically," study co-leader Oliver Tschauner, a professor in the Department of Geoscience at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, said in a statement.

More baffled Mars "scientists", if we lived there it would all be blamed on global warming.

#596 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

what can happen after eating wheaties for 38 years

:o :lol:

IBctJSS.jpg

#597 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

what can happen after eating wheaties for 38 years

JennerWheaties_zpszjnjyfix.jpg

• NipkowDisc likes this

#598 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Wingnuts have always had a problem with facts.

Sepiatone

#599 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

Wingnuts have always had a problem with facts.

#600 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

REDUCING CLIMATE CHANGE WOULD 'CREATE ONE MILLION JOBS'

http://www.newsweek....-reached-318280

So-o-o, it's beneficial to the economy?  Maybe Trump might warm up to the idea. :lol:

They must mean one million "scientists" sitting on their rears watching temperatures change .001 degrees a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users