We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Stupid Science

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1021 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:21 AM

Here is one of "other" cause of bird deaths.

But was that "crazy weather" caused by humans?  Sure, why not.  Personally I think they went easy on that inexplicable "other" category.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#1022 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

Source: USDA Forest Service, NYC bureau.  For such high numbers, I'd like to see the breakdown of "other".  Also I don't see what "House Cats" has to do with "bird deaths caused by human activity".  Is it the fault of the owner for owning a domesticated animal?  Does this include the Snopes lady?  How about feral cats, or do they not matter.  Wouldn't they be just a notch higher than house cats??  We have a few feral cats roaming around our subdivision and they actually know how to hunt.  I think I'd include them too, or else just leave cats out of it altogether.  Also let's not forget "environmental science" experiments where humans bring in species which have no natural predators, and epidemics which have previously been eradicated.

:huh:

Here is one of "other" cause of bird deaths.

#1023 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

Looks like bird deaths due to wind turbines are not as high as they claim.  Maybe buildings need to be banned. ;)

graph.png

Source: USDA Forest Service, NYC bureau.  For such high numbers, I'd like to see the breakdown of "other".  Also I don't see what "House Cats" has to do with "bird deaths caused by human activity".  Is it the fault of the owner for owning a domesticated animal?  Does this include the Snopes lady?  How about feral cats, or do they not matter.  Wouldn't they be just a notch higher than house cats??  We have a few feral cats roaming around our subdivision and they actually know how to hunt.  I think I'd include them too, or else just leave cats out of it altogether.  Also let's not forget "environmental science" experiments where humans bring in species which have no natural predators, and epidemics which have previously been eradicated.

:huh:

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#1024 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Looks like bird deaths due to wind turbines are not as high as they claim.  Maybe buildings need to be banned. ;)

graph.png

#1025 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Counting Birds in Bad Weather

The 57th annual Christmas Bird Count was held on Friday, Dec. 30, 2016. Let’s just say that the weather was less than ideal for finding and counting birds, as it was blowing a sustained 15 to 20 miles per hour out of the west, with frequent gusts between 25 and 35 miles per hour.

Despite the wind, it was a fun day, a chance to socialize with friends while searching for birds. Our tentative results are almost 19,000 individuals and 123 species, very close to the average numbers for our count. A more detailed accounting will be in a future column, once compiler Luanne Johnson has vetted the tally results.

No news to report of birds dying by the thousands due to global warming like we were promised. I only hope someone spotted the rare bird in Chappaqua that's able to use a cell phone.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#1026 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

An igloo on Mars? NASA ice-home concept suggests it’s not so far-fetched

As NASA prepares to one day send astronauts to Mars, such missions come with a host of engineering and habitability problems, to say the least. Now, the nation’s space-exploration agency has a potential engineering solution that relies on an unexpected building material: ice.

Experts at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, have developed a concept known as the “Mars Ice Home.” It’s an ingenious idea that would shield astronauts from the harshest dangers of the Red Planet’s environment while also potentially helping to fuel an ascent vehicle.

These people are nuts. First they were in beautiful Hawaii pretending to be on Mars, and now they have designed tiny igloos for people on Mars to live in. The Eskimo real estate market isn't doing so well for a reason, lol.

What a colossal waste of money, next to the global warming scam.

Guess they read this.  Tabloid belongs on Mars.

:lol:

2zfoark.jpg

• MovieMadness likes this

#1027 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

As NASA prepares to one day send astronauts to Mars, such missions come with a host of engineering and habitability problems, to say the least. Now, the nation’s space-exploration agency has a potential engineering solution that relies on an unexpected building material: ice.

Experts at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, have developed a concept known as the “Mars Ice Home.” It’s an ingenious idea that would shield astronauts from the harshest dangers of the Red Planet’s environment while also potentially helping to fuel an ascent vehicle.

These people are nuts. First they were in beautiful Hawaii pretending to be on Mars, and now they have designed tiny igloos for people on Mars to live in. The Eskimo real estate market isn't doing so well for a reason, lol.

schtootzes who like to hear themselves theorize...for theorizing's sake. :lol:

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#1028 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

Arctic Sea Ice The Same Thickness As 1940

Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-7.01.16-AM-dow

REAL CLIMATE SCIENCE >> http://realclimatesc...ckness-as-1940/

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#1029 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Feeling a Chill? Blame the Polar Vortex. And Global Warming.

On Thursday, temperatures on the East Coast are expected to plummet, and some people — fellow journalists and weather broadcasters, we’re looking at you — may start talking about a “polar vortex.”

When the Arctic jet stream moves back north, it sort of forces the cold air to travel back that way, too, Ms. Barthold said, and that is why the frigid temperatures brought by the polar vortex are usually short-lived.

Some studies suggest that climate change could actually make these frigid waves of Arctic air more common, a result of shrinking sea ice. However, other scientists remain skeptical of this theory.

You know global warming is a scam when they blame cold temperatures on global warming.

• NipkowDisc likes this

#1030 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

• NipkowDisc likes this

#1031 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

What's interesting to me is that a little bit of junk not much bigger than the size of a bread crumb, hurled at the space station at high speeds, can crack one of their windows.  That is precisely what happened.  The window was an outer protective window, replaceable by the astronauts.  If a bigger piece of space junk hit it, it could crush the space station or smash it to smithereens.  This from a former NASA employee who I hear on the radio now and then (he worked on the image processing systems which went out on the Voyager).

The Space-X losses remind me of the beginning of Destination Moon or Earth Versus The Flying Saucers. 

Somebody else, perhaps China but not sure, is working on a junk collection system for space junk.

NASA's hypervelocity guns shows what a small piece of plastic can do to a metal plate.  These test shows what happens around 5 mp (second).  They have shot BB size objects that did the same thing. :o

hyper.jpg?itok=5HkImi_m

CTKBHGNVEAAXcPk.jpg

Dreamers who talks about going into interstellar space, traveling at 1/10 the speed of light does not have a clue what they're talking about.  Can you imagine striking a very small object the size of a grain of sand would do to any man made material even at the fraction of that velocity?!  (ke=1/2m*v2  - kinetic energy increases as a square of the increase in velocity.)

Regarding China, remember the satellite they destroyed a few years back? The Chinese got mad when we demonstrated our military can do the same thing.  This RECKLESS weapon demonstrations added hundreds of objects into orbit.  The movie "Gravity" was referring to that but Hollywood can not mentioned the Chinese because of BS politics so the Russians were substituted.

• MovieCollectorOH likes this

#1032 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Space junk don't seem to concern many.  How long before the "cascade effect" in the movie "Gravity" comes true?

http://www.space.com...y-disaster.html

What's interesting to me is that a little bit of junk not much bigger than the size of a bread crumb, hurled at the space station at high speeds, can crack one of their windows.  That is precisely what happened.  The window was an outer protective window, replaceable by the astronauts.  If a bigger piece of space junk hit it, it could crush the space station or smash it to smithereens.  This from a former NASA employee who I hear on the radio now and then (he worked on the image processing systems which went out on the Voyager).

The Space-X losses remind me of the beginning of Destination Moon or Earth Versus The Flying Saucers. 

Somebody else, perhaps China but not sure, is working on a junk collection system for space junk.

#1033 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

SpaceX Launches Set To Resume In January

Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. said it plans to resume rocket launches on Jan. 8, using revised operational practices developed in response to a fiery accident that occurred during routine ground preparations last fall.

The tentative blastoff date for the Falcon 9 from California’s Vandenberg Air Force Base is subject to results of testing later this week, industry officials said, and still could change.

But if everything checks out, Iridium Communications Inc., which has been eagerly waiting to get the first 10 of its next-generation communications satellites into orbit since the September 2016 fireball, can anticipate a launch next Sunday morning.

I'm surprised no one has wondered how much global warming these rockets are causing, especially from NASA. Since they are telling everyone else they have to cut back, then they should stop launching rockets.

BTW they are launching dirty rockets from California, the state that claims it cares so much about global warming. Where is the carbon tax and the protests?

Space junk don't seem to concern many.  How long before the "cascade effect" in the movie "Gravity" comes true?

http://www.space.com...y-disaster.html

#1034 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

SpaceX Launches Set To Resume In January

Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. said it plans to resume rocket launches on Jan. 8, using revised operational practices developed in response to a fiery accident that occurred during routine ground preparations last fall.

The tentative blastoff date for the Falcon 9 from California’s Vandenberg Air Force Base is subject to results of testing later this week, industry officials said, and still could change.

But if everything checks out, Iridium Communications Inc., which has been eagerly waiting to get the first 10 of its next-generation communications satellites into orbit since the September 2016 fireball, can anticipate a launch next Sunday morning.

I'm surprised no one has wondered how much global warming these rockets are causing, especially from NASA. Since they are telling everyone else they have to cut back, then they should stop launching rockets.

BTW they are launching dirty rockets from California, the state that claims it cares so much about global warming. Where is the carbon tax and the protests?

#1035 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:04 PM

Paris Imposes Measures to Fight Pollution, With Mixed Results

PARIS — Even those who love Paris have been frustrated this week by a choking haze that descended on the city, irritating residents’ eyes and throats and leading officials to limit the number of cars on the road.

The authorities blame the acrid air on pollution, most of it from car exhaust and wood-burning furnaces, and a layer of warm, stagnant air that has trapped the toxic particles.

“We accumulated pollution with every day that went by, with nothing to disperse it, and in a very small volume of air,” said Amélie Fritz, a spokeswoman for Airparif, an independent organization that monitors air quality around Paris.

I thought the Paris climate agreement was suppose to save the world. Already they are breaking it by smogging up the air quality themselves.

They are warned. ;)

#1036 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

Paris Imposes Measures to Fight Pollution, With Mixed Results

PARIS — Even those who love Paris have been frustrated this week by a choking haze that descended on the city, irritating residents’ eyes and throats and leading officials to limit the number of cars on the road.

The authorities blame the acrid air on pollution, most of it from car exhaust and wood-burning furnaces, and a layer of warm, stagnant air that has trapped the toxic particles.

“We accumulated pollution with every day that went by, with nothing to disperse it, and in a very small volume of air,” said Amélie Fritz, a spokeswoman for Airparif, an independent organization that monitors air quality around Paris.

I thought the Paris climate agreement was suppose to save the world. Already they are breaking it by smogging up the air quality themselves.

#1037 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

NASA aborts takeoff of plane-launched rocket, reschedules

This morning, NASA attempted to launch eight small satellites to space on board a Pegasus XL rocket, manufactured by private spaceflight company Orbital ATK. But, a host of problems pushed the agency to abort the launch just before the launch window closed at 9:19AM ET. Now NASA will try again tomorrow, as long as the issues that affected today's launch are resolved.

Called the CYGNSS mission, the satellites are meant to study various aspects of tropical storms and hurricanes from orbit, in order to help scientists better understand how these cyclones form. But launching these satellites into orbit won’t look like your typical trip to space, where a rocket takes off vertically from a launch pad on the ground. Instead, this launch will take place in the air.

Who ever came up with calling the failed launches an abortion? lol

#1038 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

Shock claims massive ancient civilisation lies frozen beneath mile of Antarctic ice – and could even be Atlantis
Rumours of a hidden city have been floating about for years, as conspiracy theorists and even some scientists claim the freezing continent is actually the home of the legendary Lost City of Atlantis.
THE SUN >> https://www.thesun.c...the-south-pole/

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#1039 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Living on Mars is an incredibly stupid idea, two experts say

There’s been a lot of talk lately about creating a human colony on Mars, but at least a couple of experts believe that’s totally bunk. Charles Wohlforth, a science writer, and Amanda Hendrix, a planetary scientist, have penned a column in the Los Angeles Times throwing cold water on the idea and claiming that our biology simply won’t allow it, no matter how good our technology is.

Even a short mission to Mars and back would be catastrophic to human health, let along a long-term colony, which the authors described as “out of the question.”

“NASA doesn’t talk about this much. Starry-eyed with space enthusiasm, most science reporters haven’t covered this aspect of the story either,” they write.

Yes, but think of all the money they get to spend pretending they can do it. They can party on it like it's 1999.

Guess people will have to learn the hard way.

giphy.gif

#1040 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

Trees could make urban pollution even worse

Contrary to common belief, city trees may actually worsen the air we breathe, a UK-based health watchdog warns.

According to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), air quality on leafy avenues can actually worsen at street level, where vehicle sources emit pollutants and ventilation is restricted due to the overhead canopy. “Street trees were unlikely to reduce air pollution in most street designs and could worsen it in some cases,” said NICE in the 60-page draft issued on Dec. 1. “Leaves and branches slow air currents, causing pollutants to settle out.”

A 2012 study by Belgian researchers also modeled a variety of real-life examples of roadside urban vegetation to see whether or not they improved air quality or increased pollution concentrations. They also concluded trees on city streets could reduce ventilation.

It is because of those evil trees that urban pollution is so bad, sure it is. Good luck convincing everyone of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users