We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Recent Buys

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 FrankieAnne

FrankieAnne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

I just bought a copy of "Where Love Has Gone" with Susan Hayward and Bette Davis.  Looks a bit soapy but I'm a sucker for anything with Bette Davis in it.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

I also really wish they'd redo Topper because there only seems to be a crappy version available.  It doesn't appear that this film ever got a proper studio release.  It only seems to have public domain releases? 

The copy of Topper that I have is a low-grade cheapie that comes with Topper Returns

I may place another order, too. I'm thinking of getting the Blu-Rays of The Hidden FortressThe Manchurian Candidate and Mulholland Drive.

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

So I settled on the three films that my husband is buying me for my birthday: Mildred Pierce, Design For Living and It Happened One Night.

There are two more paydays until the sale ends.  I may end up picking up some of the other films I want like The Kid and The Palm Beach Story.  I kind of want Valley of the Dolls but I already have it and I'm not sure if I really need two copies of that film.  I also really liked Cat People but again, I just got a copy as part of a Val Lewton collection.  

You know what film needs to be released on Criterion? The 1975 version of The Stepford Wives.  I love that movie.  I have a copy that I got for $3 somewhere, but I would get the Criterion. I am not even a fan of horror or science fiction and The Stepford Wives is kind of a combination of more genres.  For whatever reason however, I loved that film.  Perhaps it was the "camp" factor. 

I also really wish they'd redo Topper because there only seems to be a crappy version available.  It doesn't appear that this film ever got a proper studio release.  It only seems to have public domain releases? 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

I'm trying to decide what I want. My husband owes me a birthday present. Lol.

Right now, I want: Design For Living; The Palm Beach Story; It Happened One Night; Mildred Pierce; On the Waterfront; The Kid; and Woman of the Year. 'Design,' 'Waterfront,' and 'Kid' are the only ones I don't already own a (non-Criterion) copy of. But I really like 'Mildred,' so I'll probably get that and a couple others.

I have the Criterions of both It Happened One Night and On the Waterfront, and can attest to their very high quality. 

#5 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

I was going to post something about this when I saw your's. I just ordered three from them, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and Blu-Ray upgrades of Nashville and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, as those two were on rather shabby DVDs.

:D

I'm trying to decide what I want. My husband owes me a birthday present. Lol.

Right now, I want: Design For Living; The Palm Beach Story; It Happened One Night; Mildred Pierce; On the Waterfront; The Kid; and Woman of the Year. 'Design,' 'Waterfront,' and 'Kid' are the only ones I don't already own a (non-Criterion) copy of. But I really like 'Mildred,' so I'll probably get that and a couple others.

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Barnes & Noble's July Criterion sale started today--50% off!

I was going to post something about this when I saw your's. I just ordered three from them, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and Blu-Ray upgrades of Nashville and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, as those two were on rather shabby DVDs.

:D

#7 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Barnes & Noble's July Criterion sale started today--50% off!

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#8 Analyzing 59 Classic Films

Analyzing 59 Classic Films

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

I upgraded my Wolf Man Legacy set and Frankenstein Legacy set to Blu Ray. So now I have:

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Werewolf of London (1935)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1939)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

All on Blu Ray!

I also put the Dracula and Mummy sets on pre-order.

"Frankenstein" is great.  Really like Colin Clive in that role.

@59ClassicFilms on Facebook and Twitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1546777636  This is my new book on classic films.

#9 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

I had a gift card that I got last summer from work that I hadn't spent yet and it was set to expire on July 1.  I had to get cracking.  It'd be a shame to lose $100 because I couldn't decide what to buy.  

Anyway, so I finally spent it.  

Aside from the bluetooth portable speaker that I purchased, I got:

Midnight Lace (this movie seemed to be out of print for a long time and then there was a TCM release of it.  Now there seems like there is a regular release?)

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: The Thin Man.  This set replaces the first four Thin Man films that were damaged in my flood.  I repurchased #5 and #6 on their own.  Now my set is complete again.

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  I love this film and it only seems to air maybe once a year on TCM.  This film is hard to find.  I've never seen it in the store for sale. I've seen the empty tab for where it was supposed to be, but the store never seems to have a copy.

Primrose Path.  With Ginger Rogers & Joel McCrea.  Now this film can leave my DVR.

You'll Never Get Rich.  With Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth.  This replaces my copy that was damaged.  This film is hard to find.  I found a million You Were Never Lovelier but not 'Rich.' 

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Jean Harlow.  This replaces my copy that was damaged.  I originally bought this set for the inclusion of Libeled Lady, which since then has been released on it's own by Warner Brothers as a MOD.  However, this set also includes other delightful films like Wife Vs. Secretary and Dinner at Eight, so it was worth the re-purchase. 

The Affairs of Annabel & Annabel Takes a Tour.  Finally the 'Annabel' series is on DVD.  It's a MOD release, but it's available.  I love The Affairs of Annabel and it only seems to air a handful of times per year on TCM.  It's living on my DVR right now, so I'll be able to delete it. 

Trainspotting.  I was surprised how much I liked this film when I watched it, as movies about addiction aren't normally my thing.  But strangely enough, I found this film fun (if that's the right word for it).  It had a little bit of everything.  All it needed was Ewan McGregor singing.  Lol. 

• LawrenceA and JamesStewartFan95 like this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#10 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

I received my Blu Ray of the Criterion release of The Marseille Trilogy today. Finally. That completes my collection of my top ten picks for each year of the 1930's.

I also got the Criterion release of They Live By Night last week, which completed my 1940's Best-Of collection. I got Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise recently. I got a few from the Edward R Hamilton Bookseller catalog, too, including the Blu-Ray of Bonnie & Clyde (my DVD was one of the oldest in my collection, and looked it), and a few from Kino, the 1920 version of The Golem, the 1934 German sci-fi movie Gold, and Fritz Lang: The Early Works, which contains Harakiri (1919), The Wandering Shadow (1920), and Four Around the Woman (1921).

I ordered my Trilogy today. So curious to see how it looks. I feel like a kid looking forward to Christmas.

• LawrenceA likes this

#11 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

I'm jealous, I still just have the VHS of that one. The used DVDs on Amazon are too pricey for me.

I had never seen a physical copy of it and I just happened upon it.  It was only $8.99 used, but the store was having a buy 2, get one for $1 sale + I have a discount card that takes off 10%.  Just because of how the store rang it up, I got Kiss of Death for 90-cents!

• LawrenceA likes this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#12 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

I found Kiss of Death,

I'm jealous, I still just have the VHS of that one. The used DVDs on Amazon are too pricey for me.

#13 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'm always buying stuff.  I like frequenting the used movie stores and with those places, you kind of have to jump on stuff that you find, otherwise it may not be there the next time.  

Anyway, I just got my own copy of Down With Love (w/ Ewan McGregor & Renee Zellweger), so I could return the library copy and I also bought a replacement copy of Take Her, She's Mine with James Stewart and Sandra Dee. I also bought a replacement copy of Moulin Rouge.

I was excited a few weeks ago, because I found Kiss of Death, I Wake Up Screaming and Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, all in one trip.  

My birthday is on Thursday, so I kind of have to hold off buying much of anything, so I don't end up with duplicates and so I can see if I get any gift cards.  I have a $100 gift card that my work gave me last July that I haven't spent yet and it expires in July, so I have to get cracking on that.  I have a feeling my list of recently acquired movies will grow--especially since the Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble starts in a couple weeks.

• LawrenceA likes this

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

I received my Blu Ray of the Criterion release of The Marseille Trilogy today. Finally. That completes my collection of my top ten picks for each year of the 1930's.

I also got the Criterion release of They Live By Night last week, which completed my 1940's Best-Of collection. I got Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise recently. I got a few from the Edward R Hamilton Bookseller catalog, too, including the Blu-Ray of Bonnie & Clyde (my DVD was one of the oldest in my collection, and looked it), and a few from Kino, the 1920 version of The Golem, the 1934 German sci-fi movie Gold, and Fritz Lang: The Early Works, which contains Harakiri (1919), The Wandering Shadow (1920), and Four Around the Woman (1921).

#15 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Has anyone ever bought a DVD from The Film Detective series? Are they any good? I'm looking into getting a quality copy of the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame, and there are a couple of really expensive ones, but there's one from The Film Detective that's $9.99. Trying to sift through the Amazon reviews is a headache, since they lump the comments for every edition together, and most reviewers don't clarify which edition they bought.

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

I got a couple of movies that were recommended to me on here: Prince of the City and a 2-disc Blu-Ray of Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring. I also got a copy of Lady Terminator, one of the more entertaining bad movies ever made.

LadyTerminator05.jpg

• Bogie56 likes this

#17 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

I bought this 1982-release Warner clamshell of THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS (1959) from eBay on March 7th. → I'd never seen this movie until I watched it twice on TCM and I liked it enough to want to own it. 

It's one of those "A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" releases Warner put out way back when.  Besides the movie, a Bugs Bunny cartoon is featured ("People Are Bunny") along with news reels of what was going on at the time.  I'm always on the prowl for collectible video goodies (when my budget allows!). 

THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (1962) was released under the "Night At The Movies" heading by Warner Home Video as well.

Fun stuff!  I'm glad to have it.  Attached File  s-l140.jpg   3.55KB   0 downloads      

• LawrenceA likes this

#18 speedracer5

speedracer5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

I bought a few more tapes that arrived Saturday: 

Sole Survivor (1985) on Vestron Video (on the cheap!)

C.O.D. (1981) on Vestron Video (a Chuck Vincent film; not on DVD).

Bottom Line, The (1976-French)  on Astral Video, my favorite label.  It's Canadian.  Dubbed into English.  This movie is probably on DVD in France under its original French title.      

ALSO, how did all of those discs get damaged, O speedracer?  That's a lot of damaged discs that needed replacing.    

There was a flood in my basement.  It wiped out the bottom shelves of all of my bookcases.  Granted the discs themselves are probably fine, but the cover art was damaged.  The water was also full of sewage which is gross, I'd rather just have new movies.

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

Whimsically Classic

#19 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

I liked that one.

#20 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:35 AM

C.O.D. (1981) on Vestron Video (a Chuck Vincent film; not on DVD).

Bottom Line, The (1976-French)  on Astral Video, my favorite label.  It's Canadian.  Dubbed into English.  This movie is probably on DVD in France under its original French title.      

ALSO, how did all of those discs get damaged, O speedracer?  That's a lot of damaged discs that needed replacing.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users