We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Recent Buys

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

There are a lot of Criterion films out (or coming out) that I would like to procure:

Ace in the Hole

All That Heaven Allows

Cat People

City Lights

Design For Living

The Gold Rush

His Girl Friday (coming out in January)

The Kid

The Lady Eve

Sweet Smell of Success

There are some movies that are now Criterion releases that I already own the regular, run of the mill release.  I'd have to see if the Criterion version offers anything new or different that would make buying a second copy worthwhile.  I hate having duplicate movies in my collection--it feels like a waste of money unless the new version offers something different or new. 

I love buying my favorite TV shows on DVD or at the very least, watch them on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon (wherever it may be available) because the syndicated versions are edited for time.  I would much rather see complete, unedited episodes of my shows.  When I got my DVDs of I Love Lucy for the first time, probably a decade or so ago, it opened my eyes to how much I was missing by having only seen the Nick at Nite versions for the last ten years or so.  There was so much content I was missing.  Now, after having seen the DVDs so many times, if I happen to catch an episode of I Love Lucy in syndication on DVD, the amount of material I'm missing is unbearable.  I cannot watch I Love Lucy in syndication. 

I have a huge list of "wants" on the Warner Archive MOD website as well.  Hopefully Christmas will prove lucrative. 

• Arturo and LawrenceA like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,243 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

When I purchase films on disc (though I am doing less of that and instead buying the streaming versions), I usually focus on films that do not air on TCM or don't stay on YouTube because of copyright infringements. And if I am buying classic television, it's the stuff does not turn up in syndication very often.

Mostly this means I tend to buy Universal product. Like a 10-film collection of W.C. Fields comedies (with his films from Paramount & Universal); a 10-film collection of classic 50s westerns; and season 4 of Simon & Simon. These are recent purchases.

I also focus on Republic films that have been released on disc thru Paramount's subsidiary Olive. Again, these are films that do not get run on TCM.

I would never buy a Bette Davis film or a Myrna Loy film-- not because I don't enjoy them, but because they're broadcast so frequently (excessively?) on TCM and I have either recorded them in the past or can quickly record them again.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#43 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

I didn't start that original thread Lawrence, don't worry about stepping on any toes :-)

I like to buy my movies used if I can find them, but I'll get new if I find a really good deal or if used isn't available.  There are a bunch of Criterion films I want but I'm waiting until next month's Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble--I may have to add them to my Christmas list, lol. 

While I was on a weekend trip with my husband last week, I popped into a couple used DVD stores and found a few good buys--I even crossed a few things off my running list of movies I'm looking out for!

This is what I found:

-The Country Girl

-Angels With Dirty Faces

-Boom Town

-TCM Greatest Classic Films: That's Entertainment Collection (B&N is/was having a 50% off classics sale!)

-I Love Lucy Superstar Special: L.A. At Last! & Lucy and Superman

-The Letter (1940)

-All This, and Heaven Too

-Thoroughly Modern Millie

• Arturo and LawrenceA like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#44 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,243 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Most of Terence Malick's films are like that. The story isn't just secondary, it's almost inconsequential. I look at his films as visual poetry, and not traditional, plot-driven movies. They aren't for everyone, or even a lot of people, but to those of us who like them, they can be real works of art.

Yes, I appreciate his films from an aesthetic standpoint. But I approach paintings in museums that way too. I think since film is a synthesis of different art forms, it has to succeed in more than just the visual area. His films seem lopsided (to me) because the other elements like sound design, narrative and enactment suffer with the overemphasis on the visual. By comparison, when I look at an Ang Lee picture or a James Ivory picture, where the visuals are also very strong, I don't feel it comes at the expense of these other key areas.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#45 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,768 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

I'm not a fan of DAYS OF HEAVEN-- the cinematography is great but overtakes the story; it's like a cup of coffee that is 70% creamer and sugar.

Most of Terence Malick's films are like that. The story isn't just secondary, it's almost inconsequential. I look at his films as visual poetry, and not traditional, plot-driven movies. They aren't for everyone, or even a lot of people, but to those of us who like them, they can be real works of art.

#46 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,243 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

I still haven't seen TWO-LANE BLACKTOP. I'm not a fan of DAYS OF HEAVEN-- the cinematography is great but overtakes the story; it's like a cup of coffee that is 70% cream and sugar.

WISE BLOOD is a fine example of the work Huston was producing at the tail end of his career, though his classy swan song THE DEAD is my personal favorite of his from those years.

• Swithin likes this

#47 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,768 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

I'm starting this thread to discuss any new DVD or Blu-ray purchases you may have made. I know we had a thread like this in the General section, but things move so quickly over there (even during this lull in posting) that the thread disappears and it becomes a project trying to track it down. I'm not sure who started that thread (speedracer?) but I hope they don't take offense at me starting another, similar thread in this section.

I recently went Criterion crazy. I bought Red Beard (1965) and The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) in the last couple of weeks, and then Criterion had a website flash sale this week, and I ended up ordering 6 more! They were Days of Heaven (1978), Harakiri (1962), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), and Hunger (2008) on Blu-ray, as well as Wise Blood (1979) and Weekend (1967) on DVD. I also got Woody Allen's newest, Cafe Society (2016) through Amazon.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users