We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Triumph of Donald Trump

• Please log in to reply
4824 replies to this topic

#1 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 03:36 PM

jesus-guiding-trump.jpg?w=500&h=496

His eye is on the scammer.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#2 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

It should. It's a bad religion. Even if 95% of Muslims won't bring themselves to act upon the worst, most aggressive edicts still in effect, that leaves many millions of practitioners to be concerned with.

Beware of false prophets - you will know them by their fruit - Jesus of Nazareth

Look at Islam - everywhere it is - and tell me what kind of fruit you think it has brought to its own people (or to anyone else).

I don't think it's any worse than other religions. It just seems to be in a

fundamentalist phase for some adherents. Maybe that will change over

time, maybe not. That the great majority of Muslims do not act on what

is in the Quran just shows that, like most people of whatever religious

persuasion, they do not act on what is literal in their sacred books. And

the threat of the Islamists is rather minor. People can be kind, merciful,

and peaceful without any religious belief.

#3 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 03:22 PM

"Bigotry" is not phobia. Nobody is afraid that homosexuals are going to force any of us to become homosexual ourselves.

And as long as we're not forced to watch men doing you know what to one another's bums, most of us can live with the existence of homosexuals. Fear doesn't enter into it. Revulsion at the imagining perhaps, but that's not fear.

From a purely linguistic point, one can certainly make the argument

that homophobia is misused as very few people physically fear

homosexuals. But it's become part of the common parlance, so I

have no big problem with the word meaning bigotry and prejudice

toward homosexuals.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,507 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

There are some, and the number is debatable, that fear exposure to homosexuality will "awaken" homosexual feelings in themselves. Therefore, "thou dost protest too much" comes into play, and that would be homophobia. It's not fear of other homosexuals, or homosexual acts, but rather the possibility of homosexuality within themselves. Look at how many of the most vocal anti-homosexual advocates end up in a motel room with a gay prostitute. And they all seem to have an "R" next to their names in the newspapers. 

Well said.   In addition there is a fear that with the normalization of sex with someone of the same gender, people will become more bisexual or sexual explorers, if you will.     

E.g.  There is a reality show Vanderpump Rules on Bravo.   The majority of the young women on the show admit to dipping in the "girl pond" (an expression used by Bravo for women on women sexual encounters and used frequently).     These women all have boyfriends and state that the vast majority of their sexual encounters are with men but when they get drunk (and they drink a lot!),  well, things happen.

Of course this type of behavior has always occurred,  but at same frequency?  E.g. normalization didn't increase the frequency but only the number of people willing to openly admit it.   

Either way there is nothing to fear going on here.   No one is being hurt. 

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

From the Washington Post

Politics •  Analysis Trump now agrees with the majority of Americans: He wasn’t ready to be president "I thought it would be easier," Trump said of the presidency. By Philip Bump  •  Read more »

• TheCid and film lover 293 like this

#6 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 PM

We've got a very interesting and profound topic here that could easily go into a new thread.

As my old history teacher used to say --never debate politics and religion if you've got an appointment or you have to get up early in the morning because you're never going to come to any conclusions and you'll be at it all night.

I'm looking forward to the new thread.

#7 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted Yesterday, 01:59 PM

Let's get this thread back on track:

LOL.

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Let's get this thread back on track:

• Bogie56 and film lover 293 like this

#9 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Nearly all of them say that in one part or another of their texts, and then contradict it somewhere else. I'm going to guess that you're referring to Christianity, "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." -Jesus, Matthew 10:34. Like with most religion, 

The sword He brings is the sword that cuts you from those who do not hear or enter upon the path He has illuminated. Many, many converts were put to the sword, but none took up the sword against others. The sword was indeed brought - both symbolic, cutting a man from his friends and family - from those who would not follow Christ as that man would, and actual - the sword that put to death many, many martyrs.

Indeed, He brought a sword - but He did not give a sword to His followers to use, unless you wish to view faith as their sword.

What is religion? It's the endeavor to return to God. That's all it is. Christ has made it as simple as it can be - peace, charity, mercy, forgiveness. There's nothing else we need to understand.

And no, I'm not referring to Christianity. Christianity is for churches.

I'm referring to following Christ. 

• Princess of Tap likes this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Is that one about being at all times peaceful, charitable, merciful and forgiving? Does it forbid doing violence to other people - even if they don't believe?

Then yes, it's a good one.

Nearly all of them say that in one part or another of their texts, and then contradict it somewhere else. I'm going to guess that you're referring to Christianity, "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." -Jesus, Matthew 10:34. Like with most religion, it can be interpreted to suit the needs of the reader, but here's some further reading:

http://www.realclear...lent_jesus.html

They all have common sense "golden rule" admonishments, while also calling for violence if certain parameters are met. Islam is getting the most vilification at the moment because a loud, violent minority is in their "Crusader/Inquisition" phase. Oh, and people always need an enemy, or else they destroy themselves. And sometimes they do both at the same time, like the U.S. in the past 15 years.

#11 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

There are some, and the number is debatable, that fear exposure to homosexuality will "awaken" homosexual feelings in themselves. Therefore, "thou dost protest too much" comes into play, and that would be homophobia. It's not fear of other homosexuals, or homosexual acts, but rather the possibility of homosexuality within themselves. Look at how many of the most vocal anti-homosexual advocates end up in a motel room with a gay prostitute. And they all seem to have an "R" next to their names in the newspapers. 

Nonsense. People are what they are. If they're attracted to the same gender, they are. If they're not , they're not. 

They aren't afraid of "awakenings". If they're desirous of intimacy with the same gender, they're already "awakened".

They're afraid of the societal consequences in a mostly heterosexual world of being found out perhaps - but that's not the same as being afraid of homosexuals. That's fear of being labeled and ostracized.

#12 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Let me guess...Zoroastrianism? All hail Ahura Mazda!

Is that one about being at all times peaceful, charitable, merciful and forgiving? Does it forbid doing violence to other people - even if they don't believe?

Then yes, it's a good one.

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Yes.

Let me guess...Zoroastrianism? All hail Ahura Mazda!

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Is there a good one?

Yes.

#15 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

It should. It's a bad religion. 

Is there a good one?

#16 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Fear of radicals Islamists makes sense, not fear of the whole religion. 

It should. It's a bad religion. Even if 95% of Muslims won't bring themselves to act upon the worst, most aggressive edicts still in effect, that leaves many millions of practitioners to be concerned with.

Beware of false prophets - you will know them by their fruit - Jesus of Nazareth

Look at Islam - everywhere it is - and tell me what kind of fruit you think it has brought to its own people (or to anyone else).

#17 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,777 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

"Bigotry" is not phobia. Nobody is afraid that homosexuals are going to force any of us to become homosexual ourselves.

And as long as we're not forced to watch men doing you know what to one another's bums, most of us can live with the existence of homosexuals. Fear doesn't enter into it. Revulsion at the imagining perhaps, but that's not fear.

• Bogie56 likes this

#18 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

I don't think there is a physical fear of homosexuals, but I have little doubt that some people have a cultural fear and feel a revulsion toward gay people, which leads to bigotry. 

#19 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Same lame, weak, cowardly answer. Be specific, cupcake. Or drop this tired BS already and learn a new song.

LOL.

#20 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

The first is a real thing, the second not. There's no reason to fear homosexuals. Homosexuality as a practice may engender a personal aversion, but it's not a fear.

Fear of Islam is just common sense. Islam is a painfully oppressive, punishing patriarchy - the exact opposite of the western cultures we have been developing and would like to continue developing.

I don't think there is a physical fear of homosexuals, but I have little

doubt that some people have a cultural fear and feel a revulsion

toward gay people, which leads to bigotry. Fear of radicals Islamists

makes sense, not fear of the whole religion. Of course it is more

oppressive in some countries than in others. And maybe one day

Islam will excise its more oppressive features, just as Christianity

has done to some degree.

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)